Transfer Portal(Players entering)

rico

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

How many WR’s are left?

Not very many.  I count 4 scholarship kids, all highly recruited.  That doesn't count DJ Mathews.  Nor does it count Omar Cooper from LN.  There is some nice talent still there on paper, but will be very young.  But, really, do any of those that left scare anyone?  

Edited by thirdgenhoosier

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

I’m not counting any of these guys as gone until they sign eslewhere. I don’t blame kids for entering in to see their options. If we make a good OC hire, he’ll lobby hard to keep a couple of these kids

….or the new OC will hopefully be a great hire, respectable resume’ with good connections through player development and recruiting. Who knows,…..IU’s players in the portal may not even make the new OC’s cut….lol

22 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

….or the new OC will hopefully be a great hire, respectable resume’ with good connections through player development and recruiting. Who knows,…..IU’s players in the portal may not even make the new OC’s cut….lol

One can dream…it’s such a tough hire for CTA. Get a homerun and he’ll be gone in a year or two…get an up and comer and you risk failure. 

On 11/29/2021 at 6:21 PM, Hoosier82 said:

I’m not counting any of these guys as gone until they sign eslewhere. I don’t blame kids for entering in to see their options. If we make a good OC hire, he’ll lobby hard to keep a couple of these kids

I have mixed feelings about taking back guys who enter the portal. Do you really want guys in the locker room who were shopping for a better deal? Doesn't feel like the level of commitment that you want. Of course, I'm old and view things differently than people do these days.

41 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I have mixed feelings about taking back guys who enter the portal. Do you really want guys in the locker room who were shopping for a better deal? Doesn't feel like the level of commitment that you want. Of course, I'm old and view things differently than people do these days.

Normally I’d absolutely agree but with the OC being in flux, you never know how/if these kids even fit into his plans. I’m a firm believer in that it’s rarely what you do but how you do it that matters and only the current staff and these kids are privy to that at the moment. 

Edited by Hoosier82
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cthomas said:

You may give up on all college sports if thats your thinking. Some good kids sometimes just dont fit.

14 hours ago, cthomas said:

I'm ok with a kid wanting to take a step up in competition....I think you do have to be VERY careful about bringing in these kids just because they lost their starting job. That said with coaches leaving, promises broken, etc every situation is different. Have to trust the coach knows something about these kids character. From what I saw I don't think we really had issues with our transfers this year....they played pretty well for us. It was our returning players that had all the offseason accolades that didn't put in the work and make a difference on the field as they should.

15 hours ago, cthomas said:

I understand what you're saying, but IU can't afford to be turning away anyone if they have talent and want to be in Bloomington.  The landscape of college sports has changed.  Us old guys will need to be open and accepting of the changes or be miserable.   😊

11 hours ago, Indykev said:

You may give up on all college sports if thats your thinking. Some good kids sometimes just dont fit.

I don't really mind kids transferring. A lot of good reasons to do that. I'm talking about kids on our team entering the portal, not finding anything better, and then wanting to return to the team. Kind of like the Sampson James situation. If a kid is not all in, I don't think I want him on the team.