Transfer Portal(Players entering)

rico

Overall, I think the portal will be more than likely a major plus for IU.  There may be guys who get recruited over at another school, but can come to IU and start against top competition and show their stuff to pro scouts.

Having said that, I wonder if we ultimately might need some more balance.  For example, maybe on your second or more transfer, you go back to having to sit out for a year or get a waiver with clear and consistent guidelines (coach leaves, family hardship, etc).  

These are still educational institutions.  I am not sure it is a great message to a kid to just allow him to be a quitter every time he is uncomfortable for 15 minutes.  There is a school involved too who may be relying on the kid.  It's a two way arrangement.  On a second transfer, you can still leave.  You would just have to sit out.  I am sure a lot of people will disagree with my point of view, but those are my thoughts.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Overall, I think the portal will be more than likely a major plus for IU.  There may be guys who get recruited over at another school, but can come to IU and start against top competition and show their stuff to pro scouts.

Having said that, I wonder if we ultimately might need some more balance.  For example, maybe on your second or more transfer, you go back to having to sit out for a year or get a waiver with clear and consistent guidelines (coach leaves, family hardship, etc).  

These are still educational institutions.  I am not sure it is a great message to a kid to just allow him to be a quitter every time he is uncomfortable for 15 minutes.  There is a school involved too who may be relying on the kid.  It's a two way arrangement.  On a second transfer, you can still leave.  You would just have to sit out.  I am sure a lot of people will disagree with my point of view, but those are my thoughts.  

That is the rule. You now get one free transfer. Transfer again and you sit out a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Brownsburg's own Hunter Johnson has entered the portal.

Supposed 5-star who couldn't win the job at Clemson or apparently Northwestern hoping that the third time is a charm.

Went from day 1 starter and team captain....to basically not playing all year?? Geez...sounds like there had to be some red flags there....obviously uber talented HS kid here in the state.

Just now, dgambill said:

Went from day 1 starter and team captain....to basically not playing all year?? Geez...sounds like there had to be some red flags there....obviously uber talented HS kid here in the state.

Just my opinion, of course, but he was never going to play at Clemson.  He was getting some bad advice with that one.  Out of high school, I thought he would be a great fit at a place like IU, Purdue, or Northwestern.  Obviously, he just wasn't good enough.  I've never heard anything about red flags with him.  I just think he wasn't as good as some thought he would be.

• Like 1

Just now, thirdgenhoosier said:

Just my opinion, of course, but he was never going to play at Clemson.  He was getting some bad advice with that one.  Out of high school, I thought he would be a great fit at a place like IU, Purdue, or Northwestern.  Obviously, he just wasn't good enough.  I've never heard anything about red flags with him.  I just think he wasn't as good as some thought he would be.

I believe, his red flag was his father telling him how great he is. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It is hard to believe he is still eligible.  It seems like eons ago that we were talking about him and Brandon Peters in high school.

Every time I saw Johnson play, he looked like he did not belong.  

I've never seen him play. To be so highly evaluated coming out of HS he had to have the tools. Are you saying even in HS or just when he arrived in college? I'm assuming then he is not an option for us by what people are saying.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I've never seen him play. To be so highly evaluated coming out of HS he had to have the tools. Are you saying even in HS or just when he arrived in college? I'm assuming then he is not an option for us by what people are saying.

I didn't think he was coming out of high school.  I saw Rex Grossman play a lot and I didn't think Johnson was nearly as good as Grossman.  Just one comparison (and just one opinion) on two players as they came out of high school and left the state to go to two excellent programs.  I feel bad for him.  Maybe he can land at a MAC school or something and leave college on a real positive note.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I think I only saw him at Northwestern.  I was interested, though, and did make a point to see him play.  I have family that went to Northwestern, so it is a school I pay attention to in sort of my peripheral vision as a fan. 

He is a good athlete.  I don't want to take that away from him.  But as a QB, I did not see much to be excited about in terms of reads or accuracy.  He just did not look advanced enough for this level.  Regardless of what I say, the proof is in the pudding.   I think he was benched and really never played well, when he did get snaps.

• Thanks 1