Lander

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I honestly don't know how to say this without coming off like a jerk so please take this as an honest question/observation.  Do you have something against Kristian Lander?  Is he from your hometowns rival school?  From your kids rival school?  Have you heard or know something about him that isn't public?  It just feels like you really don't like this kid and refuse to post anything that remotely could be construed as be positive toward him.  I can't say i even remember you being this critical of any player in the past.  Not that i remember every post you ever posted.  And please understand i am just asking without any judgement or skin in the game.  I live in Iowa and mostly only get to follow IU basketball through here.  I am trying to understand your point of view.  thanks for your time

~KYHoosier

I have absolutely nothing against the kid at all. I hope he proves me 100% wrong. If we are looking at that performance honestly, he gets benched after the first 5 mins and doesn't get a chance to prove himself, if Rob/Galloway/XJ/ were available at that point. That is simply the reality of it. 

• Like 1

While it is natural to make comparisons, the discussion here is with two seniors/grown men v a guy that really should just be a freshman. I get it that KL has had the benefit of a year's coaching/training table/strength and conditioning, but he is nowhere near the same as X or Rob when it comes to being a mature player-physically or mentally. 

Continue to give KL minutes where appropriate to help build his confidence. Hopefully, by year's end he will be able to contribute meaningfully when the competition is much steeper.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Easy, you'll get laughed at with this opinion. 

It was nice to see him play well, even after it was all the turnovers. Not sure how get got pick pocketed in the second half, though. 

@IowaHoosierFan ... multiple times I've said he played well, after the slew of TOs to start. I even mentioned it at least once in the game thread. I want him to be successful. I should have trust my eyes and head when watching/scouting him in HS though. I allowed my IU lens to alter my thinking heading into last year. 

This has gone a little too far honestly lol I have nothing against Khristian Lander... I just don't think he's very good. I pray, I pray I am wrong and no I'm not going to rub it in anyone's face if I'm right. Let's just say.. I'm ready for the 22 and 23 classes. I think the bar is set so low right now for guard play that we will accept anything. 

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

While it is natural to make comparisons, the discussion here is with two seniors/grown men v a guy that really should just be a freshman. I get it that KL has had the benefit of a year's coaching/training table/strength and conditioning, but he is nowhere near the same as X or Rob when it comes to being a mature player-physically or mentally. 

Continue to give KL minutes where appropriate to help build his confidence. Hopefully, by year's end he will be able to contribute meaningfully when the competition is much steeper.

Next year the expectation would be what? 

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This team is not being coached by the spastic Tom Crean or the bull-headed Archie Miller.

It's being coached by someone who had a good amount of success coaching in the NBA.  

If Mike Woodson thinks Rob should play over Lander, I'm not going to question that.

If Mike Woodson decides now is the best time to play Lander over Rob, I'm not going to question that either.

Bottom line is, I think Lander picks up a good chunk of Galloway's minutes and Rob keeps most of his minutes, but slides off the ball more.

But, let's ultimately leave this up to the coaches.  Until proven otherwise, we should assume they know more about the situation than we do.

Yep. What I said the whole time lol 

KL has shown improvement, no doubt.

The offense really bogged down with KL though. He had a difficult time getting the team into the offense. 

The turnovers (direct and indirect) were too many. The fouls he racks up is an indicator that he's not nearly ready to defend as Rob does.

I like KL. I want to see him shine. He is improving without a doubt. He showed really nice flashes of potential, and I'd like to see him on the floor more so he can learn by doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

The thing is Phinisee might be better at defense but when he is in there we get nothing else. He bogs the offense down in the half court, he is shooting 25% fg, 22% from 3s and 40% FTs which are all terrible. And like i said he has his bonehead moments also, and this coming from a four year player compared to a two year player.

In the same amount of games played 3, Lander is shooting better, scoring better, more assist and steals then Rob all in less minutes played.

Phinisee is averaging slighty more TOs but he would playing more minutes.

In the middle of the B10 season, Rob's defense is going to get him time on the court. If both make boneheaded plays, Woodson is going to go with the guy that can at least provide defense.

I agree, if Lander can settle in, there is time there to take. No doubt. And a chunk of that time will be Rob's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Agreed with that...Lander hasn't passed Rob....I don't think anyone here is saying he has...but the kid is making progress...and I think he has plenty more room that if he continues to improve the parts of his game that he is best at, pace/making plays, breaking down defense..then he doesn't necessarily have to be elite at defense. Rob is pretty darn good at the defensive end...not sure KL will ever be that good. The team in general needs to improve two things more than anything....rebounding and scoring. KL can help with his playmaking on the scoring end.

Lander is going to have to hold his own defensively... And I think he can play "good enough" defense if he's playing solid offense. The issue with piss poor defense is, it can get you in foul trouble, but worse yet, it can get Thompson or TJD in trouble.

And that's where I think Phinisee's defense is a little overlooked. We've been a pretty bad fouling team defensively. Having a guy that can hold their own has value on this team.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m not ready to anoint him the second coming or anything.  All I wanted to point out is, that it seems like the light is “starting” to come on.  He’s still going to make mistakes and X is still the best option. That’s all I was trying to say. Didn’t mean to start this kind of debate. 

That's what I thought you meant.  Hope you start posting more again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Lander had 3 turnovers in the first 5 mins of being on the court. 4 for the game. He also, twice, was involved in turnovers because of an illegal screen. If KL wants to be a part of the rotation, consistently, this season.... 3 TOs in 5 mins will not get it done. If we'd had another option yesterday he would have been sat and we wouldn't even have been able to see him play well the rest of the game. 

You cannot come into a game, in the role he's in now, and do that. You just can't. His potential or whatever else isn't going to overshadow that. 

Come in more focused. Stop trying to force so much, stop hiding so much when the play breaks down... especially against that kind of pressure. 

Thanks! CAM didn’t break Lander. He just wasn’t ready. Agree completely with you. He’s sloppy with the ball, can’t shoot yet, and is below average on D. He has potential, no doubt, but I’d rather see Rob play due to his D in closer games. I would almost guarantee that CMW knows that KL’s night could be much better, but he wants the kid to have confidence so he’s not going to out him in public.

• Like 1

Just now, kyhoosier29 said:

Thanks! CAM didn’t break Lander. He just wasn’t ready. Agree completely with you. He’s sloppy with the ball, can’t shoot yet, and is below average on D. He has potential, no doubt, but I’d rather see Rob play due to his D in closer games. I would almost guarantee that CMW knows that KL’s night could be much better, but he wants the kid to have confidence so he’s not going to out him in public.

Oh absolutely. That's good coaching. 

Taking a kid's confidence, as a coach, is big time counter productive. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Lander had 3 turnovers in the first 5 mins of being on the court. 4 for the game. He also, twice, was involved in turnovers because of an illegal screen. If KL wants to be a part of the rotation, consistently, this season.... 3 TOs in 5 mins will not get it done. If we'd had another option yesterday he would have been sat and we wouldn't even have been able to see him play well the rest of the game. 

You cannot come into a game, in the role he's in now, and do that. You just can't. His potential or whatever else isn't going to overshadow that. 

Come in more focused. Stop trying to force so much, stop hiding so much when the play breaks down... especially against that kind of pressure. 

I feel like you hold Lander to a higher standard than other guys for no reason. Did he make mistakes with turnovers? Sure...

Go look at Phinisee's offensive production though. It's been horrendous. Lander has been more productive, even accounting for turnovers offensively, and it's not even close. Phinisee might get more time with his defensive abilities in certain match-ups, but thats about it for me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

I feel like you hold Lander to a higher standard than other guys for no reason. Did he make mistakes with turnovers? Sure...

Go look at Phinisee's offensive production though. It's been horrendous. Lander has been more productive, even accounting for turnovers offensively, and it's not even close. Phinisee might get more time with his defensive abilities in certain match-ups, but thats about it for me.

He was not good the first 5 mins he was in, at all... if he wants to play more moving forward, that can't happen. He doesn't give us enough other places to over compensate that. 

I didnt hold KL any less accountable than anyone. I'm done with RP. Some of Geronimos turnovers were KL putting him in a bad spot. 

I'm just arguing at this point for the sake of arguing..like I really dont care who plays, at all. I certainly have not given RP any sort of endorsement. Personally.. I'm not so sure Galloway wouldn't be the most effective back up point. 🤷‍♂️

Again.. I truthfully do not care who the back up PG is.. at this point, I've not seen anything from KL to over excite me though. I also don't think he's the answer moving forward to next year and beyond.. and goodness I hope I'm wrong. 

I also never thought RP was either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m not ready to anoint him the second coming or anything.  All I wanted to point out is, that it seems like the light is “starting” to come on.  He’s still going to make mistakes and X is still the best option. That’s all I was trying to say. Didn’t mean to start this kind of debate. 

I don't have any fellow Hoosier fans around me, so when I have time I like to chime in to talk about the team. 

I didn't think you were doing anything more than talking aloud to a group of buddies. 🍻

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 5 championships said:

Rob shouldn’t see the floor again unless it’s mop up minutes and he can show he isn’t completely broken offensively. Landers upside is huge and I expect the turnovers to come down as he gets more comfortable.

A lot of this talk on the board but X turns it over more than anyone thats played for IU in 5 years, it seems.  Lets get off Rob's ass and let Coach be the Coach.

• Like 2