Lander

All of our pg’s have glaring issues honestly. That wording may be a bit strong but it’s true. None of them are great shooters. Hopefully last night was an anomaly, but nobody held onto the ball last night. Rob seems to be the best with turnovers but outside of that he doesn’t provide much on the offensive end. X can’t seem to stay in the game longer than 5 minutes without getting into foul trouble. I don’t mean to sound like an old grouchy man lol but this group has the most to improve upon going forward. Each of them has their positives and it will be interesting to see how they continue to perform moving forward.

• Like 1

KL is a great shooter!! I challenge any one of you to wedge the ball between the rim and backboard from behind the 3 point line. Go ahead and try....I'll wait. 

On a serious note, I think KL has some natural skills that are hard to teach with decent court vision, ball-handling, and quickness. If he ever is going to make the NBA, he needs to stay at IU and learn. If CMW can't get him there, he ain't getting there. If KL leaves because he isn't playing enough this year, which some were speculating on this very board, he will be making a huge mistake. I trust this staff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m not ready to anoint him the second coming or anything.  All I wanted to point out is, that it seems like the light is “starting” to come on.  He’s still going to make mistakes and X is still the best option. That’s all I was trying to say. Didn’t mean to start this kind of debate. 

You are expecting too much of us!  There is no subtle point that we can't blow up to look like an egregious error.  Just ask BGleas.  We could debate whether the sun comes up in the east for at least 6 pages, and we are only on page 3 on your topic.  So you lucked out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, slojoe said:

You are expecting too much of us!  There is no subtle point that we can't blow up to look like an egregious error.  Just ask BGleas.  We could debate whether the sun comes up in the east for at least 6 pages, and we are only on page 3 on your topic.  So you lucked out!

The sun rises East South East in winter. Just sayin 😉

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

In all seriousness, I’ve never understood the people on Leal’s back about his defense. I’ve felt his positioning, help D, rebounding/blocking out, effort, and IQ on that end as a whole are much better than most. 

I agree. He lacks some physical ability on that end but he is smart and plays hard. 

He is a guy you can hide on defense, but man can that kid shoot. I’d like to see him get more run. 

I am fairly convinced Woody is giving upperclassmen the first crack at minutes and some of the stuff we have seen so far is not indicative of what our rotations will be in two months. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Lander & Kopp are higher than I expected.  Geronimo and Bates lower.  I was not expecting Rob and Durr to be negative,

I wasn’t too surprised about Lander as a big chunk of his minutes were against a team we beat by 30 and it hurt Robs numbers that he didn’t play against that same bad team.

Agree with you that I would have thought Geronimo and Bates would be higher.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ephul said:

I guess I'm in the minority that just isn't as high on Lander.

He's not a great shooter. He lacks size, he's not extremely quick on defense. And, he turns the ball over too much.

I agree, if he reaches his potential, he could give us a slight upgrade over Rob, despite Rob's shortcomings. But I just don't see this "high ceiling" kid with the current tools I see. If he can learn to come in to a game, be a steady presence and create for teammates, wonderful. But making boneheaded plays and turning it over is going to kill us against B10 competition. Hopefully with more PT, he cleans up the turnovers and can be a trustworthy backup PG.

So are you ok with how X has played then because I haven’t been that impressed with him considering their age difference. X is technically a senior and turns it over and commits fouls like a freshman 

8 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

So are you ok with how X has played then because I haven’t been that impressed with him considering their age difference. X is technically a senior and turns it over and commits fouls like a freshman 

No, this thread just isn't about XJ. It's titled what the discussion has been about. 

We all realize XJ has to be better, there's not really a point in discussing that. He's also hands down our best PG option.. I don't really think that's debatable. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No, this thread just isn't about XJ. It's titled what the discussion has been about. 

We all realize XJ has to be better, there's not really a point in discussing that. He's also hands down our best PG option.. I don't really think that's debatable. 

I just like having options.  😊

9 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

X brings more than Lander, even at this point. So I agree with you, I've not been impressed with X, but X can defend better and get to the hole better than Lander. He has better size than Lander.

Johnson playing like crap doesn't make Lander better. It just means they are both playing like crap. Fortunate for Johnson, he does a few things better than Lander that gives him the nod.

1 hour ago, ephul said:

X brings more than Lander, even at this point. So I agree with you, I've not been impressed with X, but X can defend better and get to the hole better than Lander. He has better size than Lander.

Johnson playing like crap doesn't make Lander better. It just means they are both playing like crap. Fortunate for Johnson, he does a few things better than Lander that gives him the nod.

Johnson brings an alpha male mentality to the floor, I believe, while Lander has been described by Woodson as kind of quiet, if I'm not mistaken.  

19 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

This is why I am high on KL: 

1. Has good passing angles
  2. Great handle - has had not trouble beating the press against two teams
  3. The chemistry between KL and Tamar is palpable 
  4. His defense improves at literally a visible rate - obviously will not continue indefinitely...

I could go on.

Great handle?  He rarely ever goes right because he can't.  He lack of strength makes him weak going right and if venture a guess he's had 1 or 2 turnovers a game trying to break the press and it stems back to lack of strength again.  

I like everything else you said but we must be watching 2 different things.  

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Kind of hard to ignore how other point guards are playing when we are talking about how much one of our point guards should play.