Transfer Targets

DC2345

3 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Jones, Powell & Katic were the problem from my vantage point. It was pretty ridiculous Katic or Powell started over Carpenter as it’s obvious to everyone including CTA that Carpenter is better. Bedford has always been a stud and Haggard was solid. Hopefully Sales is ready to go full time next year and we can find an opportunistic transfer, otherwise the two freshmen will have to learn on the fly. 

Hey you could be 100% right. I have no clue. 

The statement that I bolded.. how do you know that? Legitimately just asking. 

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Bedford would absolutely fit that bill and I'd have to watch the film if Katic would.  

I dont overly agree that with have to have vets. We need a talent influx above all else. 

Katic wasn’t very good from what I saw of him. I just don’t like relying on guys in-house.

the line was atrocious last season. Maybe we have guys who didn’t play much who can help us, or maybe one or two of the freshman are ready to start from day one, but both of those seem like massive if’s. 

Just now, btownqb said:

It was said many times Carpenter was injured on and off and missed most of spring?  Don't hold this as fact, but I remeber it being mentioned by staff or announcers at some point.  

• Like 1

Just now, IndyHoosier22 said:

Katic wasn’t very good from what I saw of him. I just don’t like relying on guys in-house.

the line was atrocious last season. Maybe we have guys who didn’t play much who can help us, or maybe one or two of the freshman are ready to start from day one, but both of those seem like massive if’s. 

I'm not so sure us finding quality OL in the portal isn't a massive if. 

But-- Benson(not even sure where he is on the depth chart), Sales, Carpenter, along with the 3 TR FR are 6 of the highest rated OL we've ever had.  

3 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

It was said many times Carpenter was injured on and off and missed most of spring?  Don't hold this as fact, but I remeber it being mentioned by staff or announcers at some point.  

This.... made my day a lot better. Shew. 

So, let's hypothetically envision Bedord and Carpenter being two well above average guys at C and RG.. thats a start right? 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

CTA did an interview and was asked about the OL issues, saying changes needed to be made and he was going to make them…the only change the next week was Carpenter moved into Katic’s starting role. So it’s an assumption on my part but a confident one.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Is it possible that Bedford could move back to tackle?

His future is at guard so Im sure he and the staff will do everything they can to keep him there but I think it largely depends on Sales and if Carter Smith is what everyone says he is and can put on 25lbs in the offseason we may not need Bedford at tackle

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

His future is at guard so Im sure he and the staff will do everything they can to keep him there but I think it largely depends on Sales and if Carter Smith is what everyone says he is and can put on 25lbs in the offseason we may not need Bedford at tackle

Sweet Jesus I didn't realize Carter had moved up into the top 200

Great news about Carter Smith making the top 200.  I was honestly already very excited about him because of his athleticism and good frame.  

I love watching the line.  I like to say that the interior O line is the most underrated aspect in terms of importance.  Look at what a guy like Quentin Nelson can do.  You have quality at G-C-G and you will surely be able to run the ball and you will let the QB have good line of vision plus a pocket to maneuver in.   Overall, I thought we lacked athleticism in there.  Having said that, I’m not able to watch each play intently or on the all-22, but it doesn’t take a genius to figure out they were subpar either.

This past season, I thought long ago that Bedford should have been at tackle over Jones.  Bedford had played tackle before and would have had much better range at tackle mirroring pass rushers than what we got.  

I thought Carpenter should have played more.  He looked like a good run blocker from what I saw.  I remember Carr having a big TD run where Carpenter kicked his man right out of there.  

I wanted Katic to be good. I really did, especially since he started as a freshman.  He wasn’t consistent.  He had some terrible breakdowns.  I do think there’s hope there.  

I think Carpenter and Bedford (I bet he’s a pro) are good building blocks.  Bedford could potentially move back to tackle.  Haggard is hardly dominant but can be adequate.  

Then we can see who emerges at the other two spots.  Maybe Sales.  Carter Smith.   Does Katic work on his body and get better?

Some unknowns but I’d love to see a couple of veteran additions who are plug and play so the young guys can get acclimated.  It’s a huge jump physically.  The problem is there are just only so many humans walking around at that size, let alone with the requisite athleticism. 

16 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Have you been hearing any names, and especially any progress on them, for the offensive line?  

I wonder if we have a legit shot at Cameron Ward, the qb from incarnate Word.  I heard some Trey Lance comparisons.  

I think they are waiting on the OL. I think Bailey is the focus at QB right now. 

• Like 1