Transfer Targets

DC2345

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Michigan QB Daniel Villari enters the portal. 3 star from New York. Many online speculating Harbaugh to the Raiders.

I could see him heading to the NFL. Vegas or somewhere like Chicago would be teams i could see going after him. I think this season was their ceiling with Harbaugh and they take a step back next year.

Edited by Hoosier51

18 hours ago, btownqb said:

Have you watched much film of his?Ā 

Been watching it, do you disagree with him not being the most mobile guy?Ā 
Ā 

I never said heā€™s a complete statue, but if youā€™re relying on him running around all over the pocket youā€™re gonna have problems.Ā 
Ā 

Mizzou looks like it did a good job of getting him quick and easy throws, something I think we struggled with last year. Weā€™ll see how Bell does with that over Sheridan.

4 minutes ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

Been watching it, do you disagree with him not being the most mobile guy?Ā 
Ā 

I never said heā€™s a complete statue, but if youā€™re relying on him running around all over the pocket youā€™re gonna have problems.Ā 
Ā 

Mizzou looks like it did a good job of getting him quick and easy throws, something I think we struggled with last year. Weā€™ll see how Bell does with that over Sheridan.

This is where I was going to go with this. We were never going to move the ball with constant scrambling/playing back yard football. We have the stretch the field horizontally, to stretch it vertically.Ā 

I also don't believe his "deep ball" or alleged, lack there of, is all that important... because 1. I don't know how many WRs we have that can create that sort of separation, if it's not schematically done. 2. I am not overly sure we can protect that long anyway.Ā 

Any QB in college is going to hit a WR that's open. Arm strength isn't all that important then. We need a dude that can hit underneath routes in stride.Ā 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This is where I was going to go with this. We were never going to move the ball with constant scrambling/playing back yard football. We have the stretch the field horizontally, to stretch it vertically.Ā 

I also don't believe his "deep ball" or alleged, lack there of, is all that important... because 1. I don't know how many WRs we have that can create that sort of separation, if it's not schematically done. 2. I am not overly sure we can protect that long anyway.Ā 

Any QB in college is going to hit a WR that's open. Arm strength isn't all that important then. We need a dude that can hit underneath routes in stride.Ā 

Thatā€™s probably fair, but I think DJ Matthews can hopefully stretch the field vertically in a way no one else really could for us last year.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

1 minute ago, IndyHoosier22 said:

Thatā€™s probably fair, but I think DJ Matthews can hopefully stretch the field vertically in a way no one else really could for us last year.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

He'd be the one. But you can still do much more of that schematically, if you have the ability to be accurate underneath. They will also shade him.Ā 

As someone mentioned, our transfer ranking is number one. Ā And thatā€™s with a few more guys pending, including potentially a couple of LB or bull types. Ā This is no small feat. Ā The beauty of it is you let another program develop a player through the early ups and downs and then hopefully benefit from the more developed player. Ā Great opportunity for IU. Ā And thatā€™s without even talking about our best recruiting class in the rankings era. Ā 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

As someone mentioned, our transfer ranking is number one. Ā And thatā€™s with a few more guys pending, including potentially a couple of LB or bull types. Ā This is no small feat. Ā The beauty of it is you let another program develop a player through the early ups and downs and then hopefully benefit from the more developed player. Ā Great opportunity for IU. Ā And thatā€™s without even talking about our best recruiting class in the rankings era. Ā 

On the flip side, it is generally players that weren't able to secure a starting spot with their old team or got passed on the depth chart.

Maybe a higher floor / lower ceiling type of deal.

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

I think we've seen plenty of pro's show that you don't have to have a huge arm to throw a good deep ball. Arm strength or lack there of is more an issue when trying to make throws outside the numbers. Mac Jones doesn't really have a great arm but he still threw a pretty deep ball at Alabama and in the NFL. His issue is trying to drive throws into small windows outside the numbers mostly. I don't need my qb in college to have a cannon. I'll take Drew Brees precision any day of the week!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

On the flip side, it is generally players that weren't able to secure a starting spot with their old team or got passed on the depth chart.

Maybe a higher floor / lower ceiling type of deal.

Yeah, I think with some guys that might be the case. Ā Henderson, the running back comes to mind as a guy that I doubt has a huge ceiling. Ā  I donā€™t know what to make of the two big guys from Ole Miss but they might fit your definition. Ā But, rotational guys at D tackle are always useful even if they arenā€™t stars. Ā Tevis, the D lineman was pretty good at Cal. Jennings started at LB for the U. Ā Probably not superstars like you said, but they can be solid pieces.

With some other guys, youā€™re hoping they need more snaps. Ā Iā€™m hoping a guy like Simmons, the receiver, can come in and start and produce, and we can capitalize on his player development at a good school. Ā  A couple of the LB types we are after look athletic with upside along these lines. Ā 

Another category is guys coming in with expectations. Ā I think Shivers is a really nice back. Ā The QB, Bazelak, he looks pretty good and has played against top competition and has notched some good wins. Ā He looks solid at least. Ā Development is huge and he might be really good if he takes a jump forward from his prior experience. Ā We will have to play it out but I think we got some good players. Ā 

Just going through these guys, itā€™s a pretty impressive list of additions. Ā These are guys who should be able to help right away and there are a good number of them. Ā 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Iā€™m hoping for a MSU like turnaround with all these new additions.Ā 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yeah, I think with some guys that might be the case. Ā Henderson, the running back comes to mind as a guy that I doubt has a huge ceiling. Ā  I donā€™t know what to make of the two big guys from Ole Miss but they might fit your definition. Ā But, rotational guys at D tackle are always useful even if they arenā€™t stars. Ā Tevis, the D lineman was pretty good at Cal. Jennings started at LB for the U. Ā Probably not superstars like you said, but they can be solid pieces.

With some other guys, youā€™re hoping they need more snaps. Ā Iā€™m hoping a guy like Simmons, the receiver, can come in and start and produce, and we can capitalize on his player development at a good school. Ā  A couple of the LB types we are after look athletic with upside along these lines. Ā 

Another category is guys coming in with expectations. Ā I think Shivers is a really nice back. Ā The QB, Bazelak, he looks pretty good and has played against top competition and has notched some good wins. Ā He looks solid at least. Ā Development is huge and he might be really good if he takes a jump forward from his prior experience. Ā We will have to play it out but I think we got some good players. Ā 

Just going through these guys, itā€™s a pretty impressive list of additions. Ā These are guys who should be able to help right away and there are a good number of them. Ā 

I'm hoping that this portal recruiting can be something that helps IU regularly to level the playing field with regards to talent.Ā  I understand every school will be out there looking, but I believe Coach Allen has a gift when it comes to finding the kid who's just looking for a chance...or better chance to succeed.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I'm hoping that this portal recruiting can be something that helps IU regularly to level the playing field with regards to talent.Ā  I understand every school will be out there looking, but I believe Coach Allen has a gift when it comes to finding the kid who's just looking for a chance...or better chance to succeed.

I know what you are saying and totally agree on the portal. I hope winning games year in and year out starts to level the playing field.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 2:07 PM, iuswingman said:

I guess he can't run very fast and his deep ball is not very accurate.Ā  Doesn't seem like much of an upgrade over Tuttle.

I thought Bell liked dual threat QBs for his offense.Ā  Maybe McCulley is still the likely starter and this was just a depth signing.

He has 3 years left to improve. With the players already in the room I dont see another signing coming.

23 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think we've seen plenty of pro's show that you don't have to have a huge arm to throw a good deep ball. Arm strength or lack there of is more an issue when trying to make throws outside the numbers. Mac Jones doesn't really have a great arm but he still threw a pretty deep ball at Alabama and in the NFL. His issue is trying to drive throws into small windows outside the numbers mostly. I don't need my qb in college to have a cannon. I'll take Drew Brees precision any day of the week!

This is a really good post

• Thanks 1

Allen had said he wanted another bull (edge rusher).Ā  I think Jackson fills that spot.Ā  Casey looks like a LB that might jump into Cam Jones' spot?Ā  Casey was well ranked coming out of high school in Louisville.

I alluded to this in another post.Ā  They haven't had huge production yet, but hopefully they got their learning/growing pains out of the way and are ready to step forward.Ā  Let another school do the early development, which is the investment phase of a player.Ā  Let's take the profitable phase.Ā Ā 

• Like 4