Jackson State Post Game Thread

KDB

9 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Kind of nice that they don't need Trayce to dominate to win games this year. 👍

I agree but with the caveat that I agree based on results vs. the predominantly crappy competition we have faced.      
    Let’s hope we still don’t need Trace to dominate once we begin to play half decent teams.

• Like 2

Few random thoughts:

It will be interesting to see what happens to Landers minutes when Trey and Rob come back from injury. I certainly think he’s earned continued run with his play. Obviously he didn’t light it up tonight, but I think he runs the offense well and has shown flashes of making passes on the fast break that I’m not sure many other players on our team can make.

Xavier has the ability to create a bucket for himself in a way that we have desperately needed over the past several years. I think this will be huge in combating the scoring droughts that we’ve suffered from for the past 4 years.

Loved the defense we saw tonight. Loved seeing 3’s go through the net. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Hummel just gave Archie some credit for our D. I spit my drink across the room.

To be fair, compared to what Crean left defensively for Archie, we seem in much shape on that end overall coming into this year. Kind of scary to think back to those Crean days defensively! 😬

Edited by JerseyHoosier
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

To be fair, compared to what Crean left defensively for Archie, we seem in much shape on that end overall coming into this year. Kind of scary to think back to those Crean days defensively! 😬

Yeah I think Archie deserves some credit for putting in a good foundation defensively. There’s a reason Woody has talked repeatedly about us being ahead defensively of where we are offensively, and that’s largely due to the teaching of the previous staff. 

This staff has quite clearly taken it to a new level and they deserve major credit, too. 

• Like 5

I’ve been on KL’s case lately, but I thought he did a nice job tonight in the areas I think we need him to be solid (taking care of the ball, playing D, getting to the rim, and distributing).  Only saw him get beat once on D and he missed a couple bunnies, but he didn’t take any ill-advised shots. Seemed to play within himself. Wonder if CMW got into him a little after the last game. Hopefully the improvement translates to tougher competition. 

39 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I think Archie deserves some credit for putting in a good foundation defensively. There’s a reason Woody has talked repeatedly about us being ahead defensively of where we are offensively, and that’s largely due to the teaching of the previous staff. 

This staff has quite clearly taken it to a new level and they deserve major credit, too. 

That's pretty much what I heard Hummel say. Not that he deserved all the credit.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

When Woody talked about our defense being ahead of the offense he repeatedly said that was because they had primarily worked on the D. He has stated he is a D first coach from the beginning.

I give Archie very little credit for our defensive play (Woody has a different defensive system and has the guys playing harder). In addition this team would not have been as good under Archie because almost all of them would have been gone and good ol Arch would have still inexplicably left 2 of the scholarships open.

• Like 4