Jackson State Post Game Thread

KDB

44 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I think Archie deserves some credit for putting in a good foundation defensively. There’s a reason Woody has talked repeatedly about us being ahead defensively of where we are offensively, and that’s largely due to the teaching of the previous staff. 

This staff has quite clearly taken it to a new level and they deserve major credit, too. 

Interesting thought.  I will say, there are three new players on the starting unit and Bates leading the way in the second.  Trayce and Race are being asked to defend differently, such as leaving their assignment to block.  

Trayce even said in an interview they had to break habits, and it was difficult with closeouts, etc.

They are ahead on Defense because Woodson made it a priority.  They still have a ways to go.

I have listened to just about every interview since the hire.  

Archie didn't just roll a ball out and leave on Offense and Defense.  If anything, I think the Defense would be more difficult to transition because of the style, switching, in your face pick up your assignment.   They are no longer sitting back.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Interesting thought.  I will say, there are three new players on the starting unit and Bates leading the way in the second.  Trayce and Race are being asked to defend differently, such as leaving their assignment to block.  

Trayce even said in an interview they had to break habits, and it was difficult with closeouts, etc.

They are ahead on Defense because Woodson made it a priority.  They still have a ways to go.

I have listened to just about every interview since the hire.  

Archie didn't just roll a ball out and leave on Offense and Defense.  If anything, I think the Defense would be more difficult to transition because of the style, switching, in your face pick up your assignment.   They are no longer sitting back.

I agree and don’t give Archie any credit. I saw the interview in which Trace said they had to break old habits. As an example seeing the guards pressure the perimeter, rather than the pack-line which allowed shooters to virtually play horse, is a beautiful thing.

Anyone miss the days of seeing one of our bigs flash out at a guy 30 feet from the basket and then sprint back under the bucket?  I didn’t think so.

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, IU878176 said:

When Woody talked about our defense being ahead of the offense he repeatedly said that was because they had primarily worked on the D. He has stated he is a D first coach from the beginning.

I give Archie very little credit for our defensive play (Woody has a different defensive system and has the guys playing harder). In addition this team would not have been as good under Archie because almost all of them would have been gone and good ol Arch would have still inexplicably left 2 of the scholarships open.

I don't think anyone is saying the team would have been as good under Archie and I also believe we are all well aware we play a different system. I've personally pointed out several times we are playing an NBA style defense and it is clearly superior.

Having said that, there are some defensive fundamentals that aren't about the system we are playing that this team clearly benefits from already have had instilled. Our defense disappointed last year under Archie, along with everything else, but to ignore that we largely had a good defense during his tenure is to ignore reality. We struggled with playing hard all the time, and we were susceptible to the three ball because it is a weakness of the scheme, but make no mistake our players had a lot of good principles instilled in them by Archie.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, IU878176 said:

As an example seeing the guards pressure the perimeter, rather than the pack-line which allowed shooters to virtually play horse, is a beautiful thing.

Anyone miss seeing one of our bigs flash out at a guy 30 feet from the basket and then sprint back under the bucket?  I didn’t think so.

Arrrggg.  I just got angry for a second.  How stupid.  

By the way.  Did anyone watch the end of Providence Virginia?  It was a 4 or 6 point game when I switched over.  Providence couldn't buy a shot and it had nothing to do with packline.  It looked like that poor team of athletes we played the other night just throwing it towards the goal.  

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think anyone is saying the team would have been as good under Archie and I also believe we are all well aware we play a different system. I've personally pointed out several times we are playing an NBA style defense and it is clearly superior.

Having said that, there are some defensive fundamentals that aren't about the system we are playing that this team clearly benefits from already have had instilled. Our defense disappointed last year under Archie, along with everything else, but to ignore that we largely had a good defense during his tenure is to ignore reality. We struggled with playing hard all the time, and we were susceptible to the three ball because it is a weakness of the scheme, but make no mistake our players had a lot of good principles instilled in them by Archie.

For sure, like I said before, Archie didn't just roll a ball out in practice and leave.  Nor did Crean on Defense.  In-fact Crean was a very fundamental defensive coach- his philosophy was to have more possesions and be as fast on O as possible, which played into defensive.  Some of our best defenders in modern days were under Crean.  Nor, did AAU coaches, trainers, high school coaches, little league, parents/guardians- all teach and teach well.   

There is a defensive change in schematics, philosophy, angles, etc.  

Archie aslo worked on offensive.

Credit goes to Woodson and staff.  They have these kids playing with a whole new idenity, together.   Throw in 3 out 5 starters are new and they are playing together says something.