Marshall Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Saturday, November 27th 7:00 PM EST

Where: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: BTN

The Thundering Herd, led by Dan D'Antoni, older brother of former NBA coach, Mike D'Antoni, are 4-1 this year. Notice their last 2 games are against our last 2 opponents...

image.png.93f448a6e4cedca21b5b9345fe47bce2.png

They are an experienced team with some size...

image.png.5966af5b0101946f1587b7b6f838704d.png

Picked 4th in Conference USA

Outlook: A strangely satisfying occurrence in college sports: when a team’s style fits its mascot. With the introduction of Dan D’Antoni as head coach back in 2014, Marshall basketball entered this hallowed territory, as his mega up-tempo style elicits imagery of a herd of buffalo thundering down the plains. And though the style is unquestionably entertaining, the best part for Marshall fans is that it has led to consistent winning, as D’Antoni has racked up six straight over-.500 seasons while finishing in the top half of C-USA. 

To truly represent the size of buffaloes on the court, D’Antoni would need to recall monster big man Iran Bennett from Eastern Kentucky, but “thundering” may still be the best word to describe Taevion Kinsey’s rim-rocking dunks. He’s the best athlete in the conference, and a quick sort of BartTorvik’s dunk leaderboard last year shows Kinsey as the only non-post player in the top 15 – and the only player under 6’7 in the top 25:

Bottom Line: With Kinsey and Taylor at the helm, Marshall’s transition-heavy offense will remain quite difficult to defend, and watch out for breakout years for sophomores Early and Anochili-Killen. D’Antoni has found a style that can win consistently, and he’s recruited to that specific system with athletic wings and mobile big men. I have some slight concerns that Marshall may be one guard short, preventing them from entering tier 1 here, but another top half finish seems to be a near-certainty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

….loved watching ol’ # 32. It sure is sad that he has passed…

I was about the same age my son os now.  He's been to a few Hoosier Hysteria's and we went to watch several of the women's teams games on their NIT run but i think this will be his 1st Men's game. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

I was about the same age my son os now.  He's been to a few Hoosier Hysteria's and we went to watch several of the women's teams games on their NIT run but i think this will be his 1st Men's game. 

What a wonderful “Dad and son or daughter” opportunity! Those memories will be priceless…🥰

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Think this game might be a little more of a test than our past two opponents. The defense is rolling, but if we have a lot of turnovers they could get out and run on us.

I was thinking the same thing...they have size and some skilled players...I don't think they're as good as St Johns, but they've already definitively proven they're a step up from Louisiana and Jackson State...

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

What a wonderful “Dad and son or daughter” opportunity! Those memories will be priceless…🥰

They are...when we lived in Chicagoland, and IU would come to Evanston, me and my youngest daughter (now 26 and married) would go...she told me it was a highlight of her teen years...we were there when Rod Wilmont put on a 3 point shooting display (9-13) for the ages. That was a LOUD IU road crowd that night in Welsh-Ryan...she still tells people about that...

I've already told her if IU makes the tournament and gets sent to San Antonio for the first round (she lives in San Marcos, and I live near Houston) I'd like for us to go...

Her answer was, "Hell yeah!" 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Reacher said:

This should be a good game for Xavier and KL to shine. Robs defense would come in handy here too. Maybe he'll get a few minutes?

From the looks of it, Taevion Kinsey (6'5 guard) likes to dribble/drive, and according to the outlook "the best athlete in the conference."

Wonder if Woody matches the size with Parker, or the athleticism with X...I'm thinking X...Our bigs will help control that though...