Marshall Post Game Thread

Reacher

17 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I missed the first half. Nice second half...and onto the next.

Looking forward to the game against Syracuse.

Maybe Coach Woodson can get in touch with Crean to get some tips on how to score effectively against that Cuse zone. :coffee:

Lol….No disrespect to Crean, but Coach Woodson & Co. have a good game film to look at after Auburn just took Syracuse to the woodshed yesterday.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

TJD and X were obviously outstanding. 

Bates hit a big shot to put the game on ice.

We have some things to work with and a coach who can adapt within a game. I think this will be a really fun season. 

Agree on all fronts. Not sure how good IU will be, but I'm confident Woodson and staff will get as much out of this group as they can. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Agree on all fronts. Not sure how good IU will be, but I'm confident Woodson and staff will get as much out of this group as they can. 

Yeah I think it’s too early to say. There’s a lot of potential but we need the depth to step up. I feel confident in TJD and mostly confident in X, I feel good about Race as a complimentary player, but we really need a solid third option to step up. I don’t think Stewart or Kopp are going to do that, they seem like complimentary guys who can hit some shots on this team (which is a need, so that’s great). I think it’s really going to have to be Bates developing into an all conference level player over the course of the season if we want this to be a special season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I think it’s too early to say. There’s a lot of potential but we need the depth to step up. I feel confident in TJD and mostly confident in X, I feel good about Race as a complimentary player, but we really need a solid third option to step up. I don’t think Stewart or Kopp are going to do that, they seem like complimentary guys who can hit some shots on this team (which is a need, so that’s great). I think it’s really going to have to be Bates developing into an all conference level player over the course of the season if we want this to be a special season. 

Baylor won last year with 2 great players and a bunch of complimentary players. Can be done 

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, I think this roster is still missing interior depth (assuming this is what Durr is) and is missing another backcourt or wing player that can create alongside XJ. 

If Bates develops quickly maybe that solves the second one, but I think he's a year away from being relied upon. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I think this roster is still missing interior depth (assuming this is what Durr is) and is missing another backcourt or wing player that can create alongside XJ. 

If Bates develops quickly maybe that solves the second one, but I think he's a year away from being relied upon. 

Tend to agree on Bates based on what we’ve seen thus far. He just seems to be the guy who has the talent to do it if he can adjust enough to the college game. 

• Like 1

First game I’ve attended under Woody… better than my first game under Archie which was Indiana State. A couple of observations:

-Durr offers little to this team. He’s basically a black hole with the basketball unless he’s dunking it. I guess he’ll be useful in the Big Ten especially against Purdue and Illinois to eat minutes and time and fouls guarding their bigs, but beyond that I don’t expect much.

-Xavier played his best game at IU tonight. Was under control and picked his spots of when to attack really well, I thought.

-What a difference having players hit down shots when TJD is doubled makes.

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

...or a player like "thou not speaketh his name" from The Colony...theres something about Bates IDK yet... hes seams like he could be a great one but  his swagger says hes just not ready...and might rush

• Like 1

Couple of thoughts.  When coach did the wholesale substitution in the first half i went into panic mode, and boy was i right!!!  I wouldn't bring Durr to the game let alone PLAY HIM. He plays like he's five ft TALL! I'm comfortable with Bates, hoping Geronimo had a bad night, still have BIG doubts about Lander. I hoe Rob and Trey get healthy, they can help, but only with LIMITED minutes.  Wooden won all those championships playing 6 or 7 players. Thats how many we should play! Bright spots, TJD, PS, X, Bates, Race, Kopp was solid. Brightest spot was Coach figured out he needed to keep the PLAYERS ON THE FLOO!!  I don't think Archie was smart enough to do that! Playing 6 or 7, this team can be really good.

2 minutes ago, Let said:

Couple of thoughts.  When coach did the wholesale substitution in the first half i went into panic mode, and boy was i right!!!  I wouldn't bring Durr to the game let alone PLAY HIM. He plays like he's five ft TALL! I'm comfortable with Bates, hoping Geronimo had a bad night, still have BIG doubts about Lander. I hoe Rob and Trey get healthy, they can help, but only with LIMITED minutes.  Wooden won all those championships playing 6 or 7 players. Thats how many we should play! Bright spots, TJD, PS, X, Bates, Race, Kopp was solid. Brightest spot was Coach figured out he needed to keep the PLAYERS ON THE FLOO!!  I don't think Archie was smart enough to do that! Playing 6 or 7, this team can be really good.

Agree on a few points… but to be fair I don’t think Archie ever had 6 players as good as that on one team. But that’s in the past and there’s really no need for us to discuss that. I agree that our bench needs to shorten up in games like this. I thought Woody did a good job managing the game and getting the right players in the game in the 2nd half. 

• Like 2