Marshall Post Game Thread

Reacher

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Durr  will serve a purpose. Do not underestimate the minutes and fouls he can  provide v the Toiletmakers bigs/ Kofi/OSU/Wisconsin. Anything he can do to ensure TJD and Race stays out of foul trouble is invaluable 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I think it’s too early to say. There’s a lot of potential but we need the depth to step up. I feel confident in TJD and mostly confident in X, I feel good about Race as a complimentary player, but we really need a solid third option to step up. I don’t think Stewart or Kopp are going to do that, they seem like complimentary guys who can hit some shots on this team (which is a need, so that’s great). I think it’s really going to have to be Bates developing into an all conference level player over the course of the season if we want this to be a special season. 

How many Big Ten teams have 3 all conference level guys this year?

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Missed the game...

It was a pretty interesting game. Normally don’t think of mid-major teams as being overly athletic but they had a couple of bouncy guys that really attacked the rim. TJD was also in attack mode as was X who showed he is going to be able to handle physical BT play.

They went on a run when Woody subbed all 5 guys. I’m guessing/hoping that he doesn’t sub all five guys at once much, if ever, once we wade into BT season. We might have some depth but it’s not like we have 10-starter type depth. I’d rather see Bates or Geronimo come in for Kopp/Stewart or KL for X, etc rather than see a wholesale 5 man swap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

They went on a run when Woody subbed all 5 guys. I’m guessing/hoping that he doesn’t sub all five guys at once much, if ever, once we wade into BT season. We might have some depth but it’s not like we have 10-starter type depth. I’d rather see Bates or Geronimo come in for Kopp/Stewart or KL for X, etc rather than see a wholesale 5 man swap.

Good analysis.

That's probably Woody's NBA mindset showing through.  Obviously, an NBA team doesn't have a second five drop-off like IU does.  On a given NBA team, the 2nd five are all guys still good enough to get paid handsomely.  They may not quite match the starters, but the drop off isn't anywhere near what it is on a typical college team.  It's early, but I'd say Woody viewed that hockey line swap a mistake that can't be repeated against better teams.  IU paid the rest of the first half making up for that.

One thing Durr is doing is giving Davis a big body to develop his game against. I believe he's still going to have moments of impact for us bit it will have to be defensively and on the boards. I think his offense at his age may be maxed out. We will absolutely have to get a quality portal big though. 

I think we'll have road games this year that we get torched but still, I'm sticking to a top 5 finish. I think Geronimo is the key. I think he should start and bring Kopp off the bench with Bates and Rob for a short rotation. 

• Like 1

Marshall should be dancing this year.  Their offense and athletic front line was a matchup nightmare for Durr and for the first 30 minutes TJD as well.  With us playing the top side of the screener in the pick n roll, Durr never stood a chance of catching up to his man after he slipped for the lob.

I really liked the TJD's passing out of double teams. How nice is it to have people that actually knock down the shots!?

I thought we could have done a little better job finding Parker in thr 1st half, but when TJD is rolling like that you gota feed him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Durr  will serve a purpose. Do not underestimate the minutes and fouls he can  provide v the Toiletmakers bigs/ Kofi/OSU/Wisconsin. Anything he can do to ensure TJD and Race stay out of foul trouble is invaluable 

Yep.  He's already more mobile than Deron Davis.  He's a big body.  He's also only practiced for about 2 weeks.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ba43056 said:

One thing Durr is doing is giving Davis a big body to develop his game against. I believe he's still going to have moments of impact for us bit it will have to be defensively and on the boards. I think his offense at his age may be maxed out. We will absolutely have to get a quality portal big though. 

I think we'll have road games this year that we get torched but still, I'm sticking to a top 5 finish. I think Geronimo is the key. I think he should start and bring Kopp off the bench with Bates and Rob for a short rotation. 

Nothing about Geronimo tells me he needs to start. He was too emotional and so off last night. And the game before as well. Until he can calm down and play with some composure he needs to be getting 10-15 mins a game to give people a brake IMO. Kopp played a good game last night. Solid defense, no bad shots on offense, boxed out on the boards. Didn’t score a ton, but hit a couple big ones in the second half. 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

Nothing about Geronimo tells me he needs to start. He was too emotional and so off last night. And the game before as well. Until he can calm down and play with some composure he needs to be getting 10-15 mins a game to give people a brake IMO. Kopp played a good game last night. Solid defense, no bad shots on offense, boxed out on the boards. Didn’t score a ton, but hit a couple big ones in the second half. 

I was going to say it a few days ago but decided to wait. IMO JG has incrementally regressed the last 3 games (by my eye test). It almost seems like he went and speed himself up and that isn't working bro. Just simma down a little JG!

• Like 4

Watched the game this morning...Trayce was incredible...

The only other comments I have are a shout out to Parker Stewart for his defensive effort on the Kinsey kid...7-17 from the floor...he got his average (20) and shot basically his fg percentage (42) but if you have a chance to go back and look, Parker stayed in front of him really well and forced him into some bad shots...he got a couple of his buckets when the reserves came in and Tamar was on him...

And I thought Trent Meachum did a really solid job as the color analyst...just provided the facts, pointed out some subtleties, without the "over the top" or outright dumb commentary (are you listening Stephen Bardo?) we hear all too often on BTN...not bad for an Illini...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Durr  will serve a purpose. Do not underestimate the minutes and fouls he can  provide v the Toiletmakers bigs/ Kofi/OSU/Wisconsin. Anything he can do to ensure TJD and Race stay out of foul trouble is invaluable 

Maybe, but I think we would have been better off if we had just kept Joey Brunk...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Woody and Fife basically said he left on his own. 

Yeah, I remember that...also, wasn't there some issue with the course load (law school maybe?) he wanted to take while playing basketball?

But he's more of what I'd want from a backup 5...I haven't given up on Durr, but he needs to get it gear before the Big 10 season starts, and that's a whole new level to him...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

As much as we want them to dominate from start to finish, this was a good test coming from behind. You want to see who responds when things are not going well. It was ugly at times but they figured it out.  

I like that to this point they have played against some very different types of teams. Not the best competition level but now they have seen zone D, fast break offense, small ball offense, and man-to-man D. They've seen TJD doubled, faced full court press D and last night their pick and roll D was exposed. They were able to adjust in-game and now they will work on it going forward. That's a good sign. 

They did a better job preventing offensive rebounds. Lander continues to show signs and it is nice to see him get to the rim and score. He just has to lower the turnovers. Tamar and Geronimo were not good last night. The pace of the game really had them confused on defense. 

I'm concerned about the minutes TJD and Race played last night. I know X and Parker played 30+ also but that's due to injuries to Rob and Trey, plus Leal didn't see the floor. Once healthy the minutes should work out better for the guards. But insude Durr isn't giving them enough and it's going to catch up to them. In his three minutes played he had two turnovers and a foul. He looks slow and he can't seem to get his footwork together to even get a shot without traveling. It's a potential replay of last season with Brunk. If the idea is he needs to play his way into game shape, he needs more than three minutes. If he's still hurt and not able to move, he should be sitting. Unfortunately LD apparently can't be trusted off the court and likely isn't ready on the court.

Take the W, improve, and move on.

• Like 7