Marshall Post Game Thread

Reacher

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I heard un the press conference Woodson said TJD had a great game but reminded him that he scored 48 at Illinois

I know some of that was meant good naturedly, but that’s something I love about this staff that we haven’t had…practically ever. Both Woodson and Fife can look every player dead in the eye and say “I’ve already done practically everything you can do in that uniform….except one thing. Accomplish that, and we’ll all be happy.”

• Like 4

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I heard un the press conference Woodson said TJD had a great game but reminded him that he scored 48 at Illinois

Right at the beginning of the presser one of the reporters asked Woody if he'd told Trayce that he had 48 in a game and he said he hadn't mentioned it...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Durr will be a spot player this year. he needs to give us 8 maybe 12 solid minutes a game. 

I don’t think he’s capable of that. He hasn’t given us 8 combined minutes the entire year of solid play. I don’t think it’s effort but he just seems so lost. He did nail 2 free throws last game. So I mean there’s a positive….

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

As much as we want them to dominate from start to finish, this was a good test coming from behind. You want to see who responds when things are not going well. It was ugly at times but they figured it out.  

I like that to this point they have played against some very different types of teams. Not the best competition level but now they have seen zone D, fast break offense, small ball offense, and man-to-man D. They've seen TJD doubled, faced full court press D and last night their pick and roll D was exposed. They were able to adjust in-game and now they will work on it going forward. That's a good sign. 

They did a better job preventing offensive rebounds. Lander continues to show signs and it is nice to see him get to the rim and score. He just has to lower the turnovers. Tamar and Geronimo were not good last night. The pace of the game really had them confused on defense. 

I'm concerned about the minutes TJD and Race played last night. I know X and Parker played 30+ also but that's due to injuries to Rob and Trey, plus Leal didn't see the floor. Once healthy the minutes should work out better for the guards. But insude Durr isn't giving them enough and it's going to catch up to them. In his three minutes played he had two turnovers and a foul. He looks slow and he can't seem to get his footwork together to even get a shot without traveling. It's a potential replay of last season with Brunk. If the idea is he needs to play his way into game shape, he needs more than three minutes. If he's still hurt and not able to move, he should be sitting. Unfortunately LD apparently can't be trusted off the court and likely isn't ready on the court.

Take the W, improve, and move on.

Lander may be getting better overall, but last night he goes into the not-very-good bucket (no pun intended) with Bates and JG. I know we really want to push him to be that 5 star kid we hope he lives up to, but against the two best teams we played so far in St John’s and Marshall he was not very good / productive. With that said, he’s in the right person’s hands under CMW. So far CMW seems to be putting KL into the right situations to succeed. If he struggles to find his footing CMW is pretty good about seeing that pretty quickly. 

40 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I don’t think he’s capable of that. He hasn’t given us 8 combined minutes the entire year of solid play. I don’t think it’s effort but he just seems so lost. He did nail 2 free throws last game. So I mean there’s a positive….

The worrisome part to me is he's making errors that have nothing to do with conditioning or knowing the system...his inside footwork that has him getting called for travelling, and his inability to set a pick without getting called for an offensive foul...those are basic basketball skills that kids learn in high school...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

The worrisome part to me is he's making errors that have nothing to do with conditioning or knowing the system...his inside footwork that has him getting called for travelling, and his inability to set a pick without getting called for an offensive foul...those are basic basketball skills that kids learn in high school...

Wondering if the staff knew anything about him or watched much film… just had another scholarship, needed a big man, and there was nothing else left. Figured he had to be decent if he was at S Fla and could development him a little more. And if not he was a one year promise. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Bc he’s BAD. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

That's exactly what I'm seeing...he's been very poor on basic fundamentals that should be second nature at this level.  That's not a conditioning issue.  I sincerely hope he gets a lot better, but it seems like he's gotten offensive fouls and travels every time he's entered the game.  He's got a lot to tighten up just to be serviceable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Unfortunately the same can be said for Geronimo. He has more moving screens than anyone else on the team this year. I’m pretty sure he had two against Marshall.