Off-Season

Where do we go from here? So many questions coming off this absolute train wreck of a season.*

I bought in to LEO and still believe it's a great mantra despite the knee-jerk reaction to say it's corny and/or ineffective. I think character is tested best in times of adversity and this season certainly did just that. But the downside to LEO is/are the very real optics of accountability. You can have your brothers' backs, but they all need to perform at the level of excellence needed to be championship caliber. That wasn't the case at all this season, so some tough decisions will need to be made.

What coaches are shown the door? Which ones want to come back? Sure, the pressure is on to dismiss Sheridan and Hiller (and probably fair to do so), but the defense that CTA has been instrumental in overseeing was completely absent this year. Was Kane Wommack that good? Is Warren to blame?

Key players. Will Michael Penix ever play another down for IU? I'm doubtful; I think he'll transfer out. Jack Tuttle hasn't shown an "it" factor in his time behind center. Donaven McCulley is the heir apparent -- will he be able to step in and really lead us back to a winning record?

*And to think what could've happened had Micah McFadden not gotten ejected for targeting against UC, completely derailing the momentum of the game, and subsequently, the season.

• Like 3

I love that some of the more recognizable names are staying. After a 2-10 season, it's easy for outsiders to think the program is completely wrecked, but these players deciding to come back suggest otherwise.

From where the program has traditionally been to where we all want it to go is not (and won't be) a smooth road, so withstanding the valleys and setbacks and persevering with enthusiasm is critical.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So everyone on D is basically coming back...still waiting on McFadden and Cam? Feel much better about that side of the ball. Now we just need a few of the guys on offense to return? Or hit that portal hard.

If the sky was really falling like some believe, these guys wouldn't be coming back. A few less injuries and a reasonably normal offensive output, and we'll be ok next year. We definitely need to hit the portal HARD. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

If the sky was really falling like some believe, these guys wouldn't be coming back. A few less injuries and a reasonably normal offensive output, and we'll be ok next year. We definitely need to hit the portal HARD. 

Maybe I'm reading the wrong threads or talking to the wrong fans but every IU fan I speak with has 100% confidence in Allen and our future. We just were snakebit this year with rushing an injured qb back, dozens of injuries....and an OC that couldn't overcome that. Easy for me to shake the season off. Hope it's that way for everyone.

57 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe I'm reading the wrong threads or talking to the wrong fans but every IU fan I speak with has 100% confidence in Allen and our future. We just were snakebit this year with rushing an injured qb back, dozens of injuries....and an OC that couldn't overcome that. Easy for me to shake the season off. Hope it's that way for everyone.

I look at a couple of other boards during coaching hires and transfers (sniffing out rumors), they are not very nice right now. It's actually kinda weird. The problem with these OC/coaching lists that people put out, there's probably only 3-4 realistic options, not 15-20. Coaching is as "ole boys club" as you're going to get and so you kinda need to analyze the candidates within that scope. The hottest of the hot candidates are going to hold out for a blue blood, big time money, or HC offers. Everyone else is going to go where they know someone/have a connection (to a certain extent). But IU isn't getting the pick of the litter. And this guy was on people's list, he just wasn't the hottest/sexy pick. Personally I think scheme is the biggest need, not some guy who puts up the most yards and points. Will the scheme work for the types of players IU normally gets, and can it succeed against teams with more talent? 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Be nice if McFadden and Jones come back

Who knows what they're looking for, but from the outside, it would appear that coming back (in conjunction with the others who have said they will) would benefit their profiles. It's highly doubtful we repeat with the same abysmal record, so any uptick will have all the players looking better simply out of consequence. It's not like either one needs a fresh start, a la Penix. Would be huge if they run it back!

53 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

McFadden is a stud and I have zero expectation that he comes back.  If he does, I will be excited because he's about my favorite defensive player at IU ever in my lifetime.  Ogunleye might be the other.    (Overall, I go with Anthony Thompson, though.  Trent Green and Randle El come to mind too.  But it's AT first.)

I'm the young version of you. ARE is God to me, barely remember Ogunleye. Add Porter in there, and Micah and Jamar Johnson. 

Underrated favorites- Nick Polk, Justin Smith, and Austin Thomas. 

Contrary to my username I'm a defensive guy first. Lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

McFadden is a stud and I have zero expectation that he comes back.  If he does, I will be excited because he's about my favorite defensive player at IU ever in my lifetime.  Ogunleye might be the other.    (Overall, I go with Anthony Thompson, though.  Trent Green and Randle El come to mind too.  But it's AT first.)

He is really, really good. I just don't see what he has to gain by coming back. 

• Like 3