Off-Season

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I was just looking at his resume.  He is an electrical engineer?  Smart.  

He is filling an important position, and there are a ton of good prospects to work with.  Cooper Jones, Beau Robbins, Trent Murphy, Whitner and the new guys, Sneed, Thomas, Nick James....Plus, Tevis who is solid and can he get the two Ole Miss guys to take a step forward, along with Sio and Elliott.  Lot of guys who could form a good rotation.  Player development will be HUGE.  These are tough positions.

As always, hope he is a good recruiter.

Watching the NC game and the big thing I saw (and it wasn't a secret; Herbstreit and Fowler talked about it extensively) was the pure speed of Georgia's defense, especially their bigs. They didn't just flush Young out of the pocket, they chased him and got him on occaison.

My hope is that Randolph pushes for these types and we can get this speed, and it looks like we are with the transfers coming in.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Watching the NC game and the big thing I saw (and it wasn't a secret; Herbstreit and Fowler talked about it extensively) was the pure speed of Georgia's defense, especially their bigs. They didn't just flush Young out of the pocket, they chased him and got him on occaison.

My hope is that Randolph pushes for these types and we can get this speed, and it looks like we are with the transfers coming in.

Speed and size.  Those are elite recruits and we need NIL money for football to help out there.  Has there been any NIL football deals yet?  

29 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Oh are we talking about speed from your ends... and everywhere else? Now I'm intrigued.

There is nothing that matches speed defensively. Maybe, some didn't realize how fast McFadden was, but dude can burn. I would assume he's going to run a very good 40 in the spring. Cam Jones can run too. 

But sweet Jesus UGA team speed was nuts. That was the first thing I noticed in person with them. Even friggin Stetson can run!

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

I agree.  Get ends and linebackers who can run and get D Tackles that are huge and stout.  It makes all the difference in the world.  

Our D line has had some good players but, if we are being honest, the LB’s and DB’s were the strength of the defense.   If our front can get to that level, our D goes up a notch.  So this is a huge hire. 

Would love to add more higher end talent in 2023 to build on our incoming guys up front.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

Recruiting race is going to get beyond crazy.

I’ve read that the most recent Texas AM FOOTBALL recruiting class has 25-30 million in NIL commitments!!! Results are the number 1 class, 5 five stars and 19 four stars.  
Can’t imagine what the U of Texas boosters come up with next year as I assume they won’t settle for being behind AM

I happened across an article the other day about the Evansville hoops team plane crash in 1978.  I was a kid but I remember it well. it has to be one of the saddest things in Indiana sports history.  

The Evansville basketball team took a flight in December of that year for a game in Tennessee. Shortly after takeoff, it crashed and there were no survivors.  I think the whole team was on it except for one assistant coach who was sent on a recruiting trip.  What a tragedy.  RIP

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I happened across an article the other day about the Evansville hoops team plane crash in 1978.  I was a kid but I remember it well. it has to be one of the saddest things in Indiana sports history.  

The Evansville basketball team took a flight in December of that year for a game in Tennessee. Shortly after takeoff, it crashed and there were no survivors.  I think the whole team was on it except for one assistant coach who was sent on a recruiting trip.  What a tragedy.  RIP

I remember this like it was yesterday. I was traveling from Lansing, Michigan to Springfield, Illinois to find a place to live as I was being transferred. It was a rainy, foggy nasty night. I was on the toll road in Northern Indiana when I heard the news. A terrible tragedy and something I will never forget. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Fitz is coming back!

This is all so confusing. I loved that he stuck IU through the eligibility snafu and thought he would be a star. And then, he's in the portal which is fine if he's not happy. But to come back after all of that? If I'm a teammate I'm think I'm asking, "are you in or are you out?" I know it's a new world and my attitudes are probably way out of date.

1 minute ago, cthomas said:

This is all so confusing. I loved that he stuck IU through the eligibility snafu and thought he would be a star. And then, he's in the portal which is fine if he's not happy. But to come back after all of that? If I'm a teammate I'm think I'm asking, "are you in or are you out?" I know it's a new world and my attitudes are probably way out of date.

Wait.. Fitz was in the portal? That's news to me. 

Edited by btownqb

On 1/19/2022 at 6:31 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

A player from the team wasn’t on the plane when it crashed, however and unfortunately, he died in a car accident a few weeks later 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

I thought he was but at my age I can always be wrong and blame it on a senior moment. We are talking about Bryant Fitzgerald, right? 

He wasn’t in the portal. The only decision he was making was whether or not to come back for his extra year of eligibility or not.