Off-Season

11 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

We need to get some info on this to see if it has legs or not. I did see that ND just hired this coach four days ago. Maybe this was where the rumors originally started… 

208A5118-E280-4FA2-BDB2-CFC3E807DCC6.png

Reading some ND boards, one says he's not coming, another said he's interviewing this week. 

6 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Please be just a rumor.  My question is why?  Went from IU to USC to NFL back to IU when he could of had any job.  Please be just a rumor!

I would assume just $$. But I agree, does seems weird. But ND guys are like, "why wouldn't he leave...?" My question is the same as yours, I am sure he could have gone anywhere. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I would assume just $$. But I agree, does seems weird. But ND guys are like, "why wouldn't he leave...?" My question is the same as yours, I am sure he could have gone anywhere. 

Brian Kelly was only making $2M a year, potentially more with incentives. ND is notorious for not being a high paying gig given the prestige of the job. DM is not just our RB coach, he’s an Associate HC…doubt ND is offering that or beating his current salary. 

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

Brian Kelly was only making $2M a year, potentially more with incentives. ND is notorious for not being a high paying gig given the prestige of the job. DM is not just our RB coach, he’s an Associate HC…doubt ND is offering that or beating his current salary. 

So is he interviewing with them? And if so, why? 

On 1/29/2022 at 4:55 PM, Hoosier82 said:

That’s not an accurate number for Kelly’s compensation at ND. 

44 minutes ago, jimsorgi said:

https://www.onefootdown.com/platform/amp/2020/5/20/21264873/notre-dame-salaries-mike-brey-brian-kelly-muffet-mcgraw-jack-swarbrick-2018-2019-compensation-irs

According to this it is. ND was letting Kelly seek compensation elsewhere so I know he was getting paid a large sum from Under Armor I believe. I’m sure there were incentives not listed here for making bowl games/playoffs etc. but that’s the only figure released. 

50 minutes ago, jimsorgi said:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10019665-brian-kellys-full-lsu-contract-details-released-after-leaving-notre-dame.amp.html

another article “confirming” $2.5M base. If you have better figures I’m all “ears”. Aside from that, RB coaches don’t get massive incentive bonuses. The RB coach at ND is simply not a higher paying opportunity than AHC/RB’s at IU

3 hours ago, jimsorgi said:

All the first article tells you is how much ND characterized as base salary for Kelly, and the second article tells you even less. 

The fact that Kelly’s salary at LSU is $400k should tell you how valuable that information is. 

Pretty sure Kelly got 10 years 95 million at LSU what are you talking about 400k?

4 hours ago, jimsorgi said:

All the first article tells you is how much ND characterized as base salary for Kelly, and the second article tells you even less. 

The fact that Kelly’s salary at LSU is $400k should tell you how valuable that information is. 

Kelly’s guaranteed salary is $9.5M plus incentives. If there’s something in his contract that says officially the base is $400k and the rest of the guaranteed comp is labeled something else for $9.1M then it’s semantics. 

Look, if you have actual info contrary to what I posted, please share. Otherwise I’m not interested in debating this with you. The fact that the ND job is relatively low paying has been discussed on PTI and coaching carousel discussions for a very long time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Pretty sure Kelly got 10 years 95 million at LSU what are you talking about 400k?

His base salary is $400k. They rest of it is supplemental income in exchange for media events, name/image/likeness, etc. The point is that universities often characterize coaching salaries in different ways and the fact that a tax filing said Kelly’s salary at ND was $2m means nothing. 

13 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Kelly’s guaranteed salary is $9.5M plus incentives. If there’s something in his contract that says officially the base is $400k and the rest of the guaranteed comp is labeled something else for $9.1M then it’s semantics. 

Look, if you have actual info contrary to what I posted, please share. Otherwise I’m not interested in debating this with you. The fact that the ND job is relatively low paying has been discussed on PTI and coaching carousel discussions for a very long time. 

Of course it’s semantics. Same as anything that says Kelly's salary at ND was $2m. That’s the whole point. 

Kelly’s full salary at Notre Dame, a private school, was unknown but was believed to be more than $5 million per year.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-brian-kelly-notre-dame-lsu-20211130-g76kaisw5fb75ayxvo4dydcimi-story.html?outputType=amp

ND is extremely tight-lipped about the finances of its athletic department but that number is more consistent with what I know from people in and around the university (not that anyone told me an exact number - but a general range).