Off-Season

14 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I missed this earlier, but it looks like receivers coach Grant Heard is leaving IU for Central Florida.  I wish I knew what was going on.  

Link to Mike Schumann's article

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/report-wide-receivers-coach-grant-heard-leaving-iu/

We will be ok here.  This isn’t a bad development IMO.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

completely fine with me 

I thought some of our young receivers didn’t develop fast enough, others never got a chance, some upperclassmen regressed, and guys didn’t separate (other than when  Matthews was out there).  Other than that, it was a great year for our receivers.

Lot of turnover.  I doubt that we will ever know the truth, but I wonder what is happening behind the scenes?  Maybe Allen is cleaning house because he didn’t like the performance.  If so, Hiller may be gone yet.   We’ve got him and some defensive position coaches back with a lot of changes.  But you go 2-10 or whatever and I don’t think you stand pat unless there’s a good explanation.  We went 2-10 with higher expectations so the changes should be expected/welcomed.  IMO

Edited by BobSaccamanno

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Just asking for those closer to things....is there any truth to Heard leaving because of something to do with school board? Someone mentioned on twitter.

I will say him leaving isn't the worse thing but the timing sure isn't good.

School board? As in our board of trustees? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

School board? As in our board of trustees? 

Couldn't decipher on twitter. It's the standard someone mentioned on another site there was an issue with school board. Didn't say whether it was IU....or might even be related to his kids if he has any. Just was curious for those that peruse other sites (I don't) if anyone saw something. Sounds like Peegs material.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Couldn't decipher on twitter. It's the standard someone mentioned on another site there was an issue with school board. Didn't say whether it was IU....or might even be related to his kids if he has any. Just was curious for those that peruse other sites (I don't) if anyone saw something. Sounds like Peegs material.

I can't find the reference tweet. But, with what you said... I wouldn't know either. 

Oops, I have to correct what I just said.  I thought he went into the portal.  That's why I said the system nowadays.

I just found out that he was kicked off for multiple transgressions and warnings.  That has nothing to do with today's system.  

It's terrible when a kid can't stay on the right path with the opportunities he has.  I hope he gets there.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, btownqb said:

I can't find the reference tweet. But, with what you said... I wouldn't know either. 

Just another rumor: 

Here's the thing with any defection, IU fans on social media will ALWAYS take the negative route. These guys had worked together for a while, so it is odd, but it might be as simple as "I want to move to Florida". College football is a super transient profession. Assistants that stay the longest have roots in the community or are at schools with a history of success. If you're running the IU football program, you should expect to lose a few assistants EVERY year. For good reasons (promotion), practical reasons (change of scenario, better program, better weather), for bad reasons (the coach or team underperformed). I am not saying losing guys is a good thing, but at a historically poor program like IU, that's just the way it goes. A couple of decent seasons isn't going to make working at IU the pinnacle of anything. I have zero clue if CTA knows what he's doing or not, but neither do these so called insiders who are speculating based on gossip. I'm sure if you were to "score" "insiders" gossip 90%+  would be some sort of negative gossip, it's the nature of forums and social media. Besides recruits possibly choosing a school, when do ever hear good rumors like "all the assistant coaches love coach and think everything he is doing is great..." 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, OGIUAndy said:

Just another rumor: 

Here's the thing with any defection, IU fans on social media will ALWAYS take the negative route. These guys had worked together for a while, so it is odd, but it might be as simple as "I want to move to Florida". College football is a super transient profession. Assistants that stay the longest have roots in the community or are at schools with a history of success. If you're running the IU football program, you should expect to lose a few assistants EVERY year. For good reasons (promotion), practical reasons (same job, better program, better weather), for bad reasons (the coach or team underperformed). I am not saying losing guys is a good thing, but at a historically poor program like IU, that's just the way it goes. A couple of decent seasons isn't going to make working at IU the pinnacle of anything. I have zero clue if CTA knows what he's doing or not, but neither do these so called insiders who are speculating based on gossip. I'm sure if you were to listen to 99% of "insiders" there would be some sort of negative gossip or rumor mongering, it's the nature of forums and social media. Besides recruits possibly choosing a school, when do ever hear good rumors like "all the assistant coaches love coach and think everything he is doing is great..." We're dealing with a lot of egos and alphas who think they should be a head coach or the head coordinator etc. 

First of all, I think this is an excellent post. 

To your bold point though. I have not seen that as a coach too much, personally. I think there are A LOT of assts that don't want anything to do with a HC job. HC jobs are HARD, you are responsible for EVERYTHING and quite honestly get entirely too much blame. 

Lots of assts love where they're at. There are some egos, no doubt. 

To the tweet-- idk what a city school board is? Does Bloomington have a city school board? or do they have a corporation wide school board? WTH could he be THAT upset with them about? Very strange. Either way, I'm not mad about it at all. 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

First of all, I think this is an excellent post. 

To your bold point though. I have not seen that as a coach too much, personally. I think there are A LOT of assts that don't want anything to do with a HC job. HC jobs are HARD, you are responsible for EVERYTHING and quite honestly get entirely too much blame. 

Lots of assts love where they're at. There are some egos, no doubt. 

To the tweet-- idk what a city school board is? Does Bloomington have a city school board? or do they have a corporation wide school board? WTH could he be THAT upset with them about? Very strange. Either way, I'm not mad about it at all. 

I actually removed the last sentence because it was out of context and may have muddled my overall point. I am just tired of everyone assuming the worse conclusion possible anytime an assistant leaves. To me, this most recent move seems to be more an indictment on Heard than Allen. He's put Allen in a tough spot. And somewhat off-topic, the vitriol Hiller gets when another assistant leaves is over the top. Not saying he's great or even good, but people act like they win or lose because of one position coach. Can he be impactful or a detriment, of course. But the last time I checked IU has more OL in the NFL than any other position. I understand the offensive line has been weak, but so has the play calling. You don't have to have the best offensive line (or offensive line coach) to win. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I actually removed the last sentence because it was out of context and may have muddled my overall point. I am just tired of everyone assuming the worse conclusion possible anytime an assistant leaves. To me, this most recent move seems to be more an indictment on Heard than Allen. He's put Allen in a tough spot. And somewhat off-topic, the vitriol Hiller gets when another assistant leaves is over the top. Not saying he's great or even good, but people act like they win or lose because of one position coach. Can he be impactful or a detriment, of course. But the last time I checked IU has more OL in the NFL than any other position. I understand the offensive line has been weak, but so has the play calling. You don't have to have the best offensive line (or offensive line coach) to win. 

I'm with you. I agree. Just seeing the negative in everything in general gets old. Twitter is a cesspool man. It's bad. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I like Spegal. Runs exceptionally hard from what I’ve seen.  This is a kid who wants it.  

Sometimes the size/speed guys are overrated. Sure you want a guy who won’t get caught from behind but down to down, the vision, toughness, and cutting gets you consistent YPA.  

Yep. 

I was looking at it from a PROMINENT HC in our state is at our practice! Love it!

• Thanks 1