Sheridan Fired (Hired by Washington)

DC2345

Per twitter, Allen taking a $200,000 a year deduction throughout his contract, I think.

It is speculated that this is to help pay the remaining $700,000 to Sheridan.  All assisants signed a two year contract last season.

Interesting- does this mean this will be the only change forced?  Some coaches might move naturally.  Will there be so reassignments?  Probably have to wait for the new hire.  Personally I thought it would be a package change with the OL based on results the past two years. 

This is the first step towards moving forward.  Coach Allen is a leader and needs a reset.  A ton to learn from this year.  Hoping some of the talented receuiting classes with speed take a leap forward in the offseason, etc. 

• Like 2

When you give up 44 points to Purdue and have the worst Defense, OLine and the most dropped passes in the conference, it’s weird that Sheridan is first to go, this emphatically. The offense was bad this year but how could it not be with a walk on QB and entire RB room? To me, the oline and defense were the more glaring issues. I’m fine to move on to another OC but Allen has bigger fish to fry here. This move doesn’t move the needle

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Seems like a worthy candidate. Their offense was good this year. UCLA I mean. 

He has experience, is known as a good recruiter and is an OL coach.  I of course always like to see former Hoosiers back on the sideline.  Especially ones who have the experience and in his case he played and started many games for IU.  

4 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

When you give up 44 points to Purdue and have the worst Defense, OLine and the most dropped passes in the conference, it’s weird that Sheridan is first to go, this emphatically. The offense was bad this year but how could it not be with a walk on QB and entire RB room? To me, the oline and defense were the more glaring issues. I’m fine to move on to another OC but Allen has bigger fish to fry here. This move doesn’t move the needle

We fired Sheridan in what, 12-14 hours after the last snap of the season, on a Sunday?  And it "doesn't move the needle?"

The defense was "bad" in the latter half of the season because half our 2 deep was injured at one point or another and the offense continually threw pick sixes, turned it over in the red zone, and went three-and-out at the 20 yard line, giving the other team starting position on our side of the 50 half the time.  Hard to have a good defense all year when you're put in that situation on nearly every drive.  Most of the defenses "problems" actually stem from how utterly inept we were on offense all year.

Also, if Allen goes the "head coach of the offense" route again, which, IMO, is likely, he'll probably give that person some latitude in bringing in his own position coaches (with the likely exception of McCullough).  Give it more than an hour to play out...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

We fired Sheridan in what, 12-14 hours after the last snap of the season, on a Sunday?  And it "doesn't move the needle?"

The defense was "bad" in the latter half of the season because half our 2 deep was injured at one point or another and the offense continually threw pick sixes, turned it over in the red zone, and went three-and-out at the 20 yard line, giving the other team starting position on our side of the 50 half the time.  Hard to have a good defense all year when you're put in that situation on nearly every drive.  Most of the defenses "problems" actually stem from how utterly inept we were on offense all year.

Also, if Allen goes the "head coach of the offense" route again, which, IMO, is likely, he'll probably give that person some latitude in bringing in his own position coaches (with the likely exception of McCullough).  Give it more than an hour to play out...

Nope. We need results now!!! 

Don't you know Tom Allen can't put together successful seasons even though he went 14-7 the two years prior to this one!?! 

We need to win @iowa, Michigan, Penn St and beat a top 5 MSU/OSU/Cinci at home 🤣

No excuse. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

The offense hasn’t thrown a pick 6 since the MSU game so to blame the defensive struggles of the second half of the season on “pick 6s” is weird. The defense didn’t have nearly the catastrophic injuries and defections the offense had either so my point was, if you want to make a statement firing, the DC is first to go and it isn’t even close. Hiller still having a job right now when Sheridan is fired is just as confusing. I can understand why the offense sucked this year but the defense has literally zero excuse, including “injuries”. 

Edited by Hoosier82

7 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

The offense hasn’t thrown a pick 6 since the MSU game so to blame the defensive struggles of the second half of the season on “pick 6s” is weird. The defense didn’t have nearly the catastrophic injuries and defections the offense had either so my point was, if you want to make a statement firing, the DC is first to go and it isn’t even close. Hiller still having a job right now when Sheridan is fired is just as confusing. I can understand why the offense sucked this year but the defense has literally zero excuse, including “injuries”. 

It’s kinda hard to have a decent defense when you don’t have a lot of depth and they are on the field 3/4 of the game because of all the 3 and outs. Tom Allen has proven himself on the defensive end. I’m okay playing it out and seeing what happens. IU is not a program that can have a ton of turnover and expect results. You have to inch yourself.

• Like 2

Just my opinion (and I'm never a fan of mid-season coaching moves), but if the decision to let Sheridan go was that obvious, a change should have been made during the season.  It would have been the only chance to right the ship.  It was pretty clear to me from being down there with seats right behind the bench that the rest of the team folded its collective tent and quit long ago.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Just my opinion (and I'm never a fan of mid-season coaching moves), but if the decision to let Sheridan go was that obvious, a change should have been made during the season.  It would have been the only chance to right the ship.  It was pretty clear to me from being down there with seats right behind the bench that the rest of the team folded its collective tent and quit long ago.

There was a reason they rushed Penix back who was not fully recovered physically and mentally.  He was the only chance with the OL and had thr only capability to make a big throw.  When our ONLY speed guy went down that also handicapped the offense.  Need tp recruit and have someone that can bring in talent.   First thing Wilson did, hire an OC that brought a qb.  We need someone that can possibly bring some OL with them and speed at WR.  

I have no idea if Dexter can be a legit qb. Or if Penix can be back with more recovery time, or if Donovan can take a jump or if the texas qb recruit can step in from day one.  Regardless, bring in someone that can recruit and recruit fast.  

17 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

That's not what LEO is though. He isn't going to fire a coach midseason.. that's not who we are, and it would have done very, very little to change anything. 

We don't treat people like that. 

I understand what you're saying, but optics matter. I can promise you there isn't an offensive soul in the coaching world that would have corrected our problems THIS season... like in season. Maybe in the off season with all that prep time.. no way mid season. Too many injuries. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

There was a reason they rushed Penix back who was not fully recovered physically and mentally.  He was the only chance with the OL and had thr only capability to make a big throw.  When our ONLY speed guy went down that also handicapped the offense.  Need tp recruit and have someone that can bring in talent.   First thing Wilson did, hire an OC that brought a qb.  We need someone that can possibly bring some OL with them and speed at WR.  

I have no idea if Dexter can be a legit qb. Or if Penix can be back with more recovery time, or if Donovan can take a jump or if the texas qb recruit can step in from day one.  Regardless, bring in someone that can recruit and recruit fast.  

"Someone who can recruit and recruit fast."   I'm not sure if that's possible?  "It's Indiana."

36 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Points IU gave up off turnovers: 95

Points IU scored this year: 207

I'm not going to do every game, but I'll use Purdue as a michrocosm:

Purdue touchdown drive lengths: 75, 42, 51, 69, 65, 46

Or take MSU touchdown drive lengths: 6, 30 yard td interception

Literally half of Purdue's scoring drives started at center field or better, and I'd argue the defense legitimately only gave up 2 field goals to MSU but yeah, the DC is our biggest problem and should be our "statement firing"...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Points IU gave up off turnovers: 95

Points IU scored this year: 207

I'm not going to do every game, but I'll use Purdue as a michrocosm:

Purdue touchdown drive lengths: 75, 42, 51, 69, 65, 46

Or take MSU touchdown drive lengths: 6, 30 yard td interception

Literally half of Purdue's scoring drives started at center field or better, and I'd argue the defense legitimately only gave up 2 field goals to MSU but yeah, the DC is our biggest problem and should be our "statement firing"...

You are correct in this entire post. Also.. football is an offensive game right now, simply put, you're going to have clunkers in this day of football, defensively... its going to happen. Bama gave up 35 at home to Arkansas as an example. 

I would say Maryland and OSU fall under that category. OSU whatever... Maryland shouldn't have been that bad even with the injuries 

58 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Wait... the defense didn't have injuries? Lol 

An All American corner and an all league safety sitting out yesterday and basically the entire year for Mullen doesn't change things against Purdues pass attack. Get real man. 

We also lost our best pass rushing DE. 

So that's 3 of 11 defensive starters out against Purdue... 3 of our best 7 players on that side, but yeah, no injuries for that side. 

Against Minnesota we had all those injuries plus Cam Jones sat out. Still no injuries? 

39 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's not what LEO is though. He isn't going to fire a coach midseason.. that's not who we are, and it would have done very, very little to change anything. 

I understand what you're saying, but optics matter. I can promise you there isn't an offensive soul in the coaching world that would have corrected our problems THIS season... like in season. Maybe in the off season with all that prep time.. no way mid season. Too many injuries. 

People can hate on Coach Allen all they want, but he is truly a class act. He saw zero benefit to fire coaches mid season….we just had to “run with the horses we brung” till the last snap…

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

We scored 94 points in conference games and got shut out in the second half of every game in November. We had 4 consecutive three and outs in the Michigan game. A change was badly needed here, in addition to everything else. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I understand what you're saying.  I would argue, based on what I saw, that he lost more guys sticking with the status quo than by making an in-season change.  LEO doesn't just apply to the offensive coordinator.  It has to be what's best for the team and program.  Again, I would never normally be a proponent of an in-season change, but I didn't decide to fire Sheridan, Allen did.  And I think it's pretty clear Allen had made that decision before this morning.  But again, I understand your point too.  

4 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

I understand what you're saying.  I would argue, based on what I saw, that he lost more guys sticking with the status quo than by making an in-season change.  LEO doesn't just apply to the offensive coordinator.  It has to be what's best for the team and program.  Again, I would never normally be a proponent of an in-season change, but I didn't decide to fire Sheridan, Allen did.  And I think it's pretty clear Allen had made that decision before this morning.  But again, I understand your point too.  

Who'd he lose? LEO applies everywhere. 

Players quit.  It was pretty obvious from where I sat.  By "lost," I mean they quit.  Making a change in-season MAY have at least sent the message to the players that nobody's throwing in the towel on the season.  Especially to the seniors.  It's not even about changing the scheme mid-season.  It's simply about sending the message that we care enough about you to make a change to something that is obviously not working, and gone horribly wrong.  Especially if Allen's decision was already made.

Of course, if the LEO culture is as real as they want us to believe, it could be argued that players shouldn't have quit on their teammates no matter what.

• Like 2