Sheridan Fired (Hired by Washington)

DC2345

59 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Wait... the defense didn't have injuries? Lol 

An All American corner and an all league safety sitting out yesterday and basically the entire year for Mullen doesn't change things against Purdues pass attack. Get real man. 

We also lost our best pass rushing DE. 

So that's 3 of 11 defensive starters out against Purdue... 3 of our best 7 players on that side, but yeah, no injuries for that side. 

Against Minnesota we had all those injuries plus Cam Jones sat out. Still no injuries? 

I didn’t say the defense didn’t have injuries they just weren’t as costly and catastrophic to the game plan as the offense. My point was simply that the defense far underperformed compared to the offense…Injuries on both sides considered 

2 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

I didn’t say the defense didn’t have injuries they just weren’t as costly and catastrophic to the game plan as the offense. My point was simply that the defense far underperformed compared to the offense…Injuries on both sides considered 

The offense was not good most of the year last year too. The offensive game has not been good. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

The O line and the offense was horrible all year. They absolutely wore the D down by the first six games. best players on both sides injured and our weaknesses were revealed and magnified for all to take advantage of, and they did! Hopefully we get a OC that will stick around for more than a year. First year DC second year bad OC coupled with injuries was the perfect storm. Seems like some on this board don't like and want to blame ELO culture for this debacle? Why wouldn't want the players to love and respect each other and the coaches?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Nope. We need results now!!! 

Don't you know Tom Allen can't put together successful seasons even though he went 14-7 the two years prior to this one!?! 

We need to win @iowa, Michigan, Penn St and beat a top 5 MSU/OSU/Cinci at home 🤣

No excuse. 

Ha, there is a bit of room in the continuum between you sarcastically implying the fans  expected IU to beat all 6 of those ranked teams and the total no-show we endured this year.

I think having a snowballs chance (ie have somewhat of a chance in the second half) in hell against 2 of Iowa, UM, PSU and a split with MSU/UC (both of which we could have beaten) was a reasonable expectation.

We have at least sometimes been in games against teams like OSU, even with a QB like Zander, but this year we were not a remote threat to IA, UM, PSU, OSU. I’m not saying we should have beaten any of them but we were a zero threat. 

Edited by IU878176

No. You're wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Ha, there is a bit of room in the continuum between you sarcastically implying the fans  expected IU to beat all 6 of those ranked teams and the total no-show we endured this year.

I think having a snowballs chance (ie have somewhat of a chance in the second half) in hell against 2 of Iowa, UM, PSU and a split with MSU/UC (both of which we could have beaten) was a reasonable expectation.

We have at least sometimes been in games against teams like OSU, even with a QB like Zander, but this year we were not a remote threat to IA, UM, PSU, OSU. I’m not saying we should have beaten any of them but we were a zero threat. 

We did have a snowballs chance against MSU and UC. That was evident. 

Regardless of injuries, the defense played good enough to beat MSU and UC. In some of the blowouts they played ok considering what the offense gave them. 
The only games the offense played well in were Idaho and WKU. Outside of those games (and the first drive) they never seemed in sync. 

10 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

If I’m an incoming OC, potentially the asst. head coach, I want my own assistants….. It’s a no brainer! I’m sure Coach Allen is thinking about that as well.

I agree. I don’t know the details of a hire like this, but I can’t imagine it helps to say “we want you to run our offense and be accountable for the results. Also, you have to keep these position coaches regardless of how they fit with your scheme because we just hired them.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jojo123 said:

The O line and the offense was horrible all year. They absolutely wore the D down by the first six games. best players on both sides injured and our weaknesses were revealed and magnified for all to take advantage of, and they did! Hopefully we get a OC that will stick around for more than a year. First year DC second year bad OC coupled with injuries was the perfect storm. Seems like some on this board don't like and want to blame ELO culture for this debacle? Why wouldn't want the players to love and respect each other and the coaches?  

ELO!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

We did have a snowballs chance against MSU and UC. That was evident. 

I agree and that’s exactly what I said.
Didn’t have a snowballs chance against IA, PSU, UM and should have split with MSU and UC (both of whom we could have beaten).

Edited by IU878176

3 hours ago, IUJoe said:

Players quit.  It was pretty obvious from where I sat.  By "lost," I mean they quit.  Making a change in-season MAY have at least sent the message to the players that nobody's throwing in the towel on the season.  Especially to the seniors.  It's not even about changing the scheme mid-season.  It's simply about sending the message that we care enough about you to make a change to something that is obviously not working, and gone horribly wrong.  Especially if Allen's decision was already made.

Of course, if the LEO culture is as real as they want us to believe, it could be argued that players shouldn't have quit on their teammates no matter what.

Hell yes they quit. I picked a load of them up after the MD. loss. From the bus to a party. Thats when I quit on IU football for good.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, OGIUAndy said:

So you thought they would go back and study film? 

No, but going right to parties after you get your ass beat every week, having tutors write your papers and do your projects is all I need to know what shape IU football is in under Tom Allen. But at least we have LEO and a 30 million dollar buyout.

10 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I agree and that’s exactly what I said.
Didn’t have a snowballs chance against IA, PSU and UM should have split with MSU and UC (both of whom we could have beaten).

I’d argue the defense was good enough

Iowa 34-6

14 scored by Iowa on pick 6s. That’s 20 points given up by the defense. 

UM 29-7

UM was held to mostly field goals. It was 17-7 at half. One UM touchdown came after IU fumbled on their own 31. 

Penn St 24-0

The offenses longest drive was 8 plays. That drive ended in an interception. 

This defense certainly wasn’t dominant, but before the injuries set in they were good enough to give you a chance in every game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1