Sheridan Fired (Hired by Washington)

DC2345

49 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I’d argue the defense was good enough

Iowa 34-6

14 scored by Iowa on pick 6s. That’s 20 points given up by the defense. 

UM 29-7

UM was held to mostly field goals. It was 17-7 at half. One UM touchdown came after IU fumbled on their own 31. 

Penn St 24-0

The offenses longest drive was 8 plays. That drive ended in an interception. 

This defense certainly wasn’t dominant, but before the injuries set in they were good enough to give you a chance in every game. 

Yes, the defense played well enough but we weren’t a threat to those opponents because of our offense (the opposite of years past teams)

I have never been so excited about an IU football season and it started going down the drain 2 minutes into the Iowa game (regardless of how well our D played). The 2 previous years were fun to watch and great by IU standards Let’s hope we see improvement next year. QB, RB, WR and OL are all are concerns. Hopefully some or all of those weaknesses are addressed as players recover from injuries, younger players get a chance and we bring in transfers/recruits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

Regardless of injuries, the defense played good enough to beat MSU and UC. In some of the blowouts they played ok considering what the offense gave them. 
The only games the offense played well in were Idaho and WKU. Outside of those games (and the first drive) they never seemed in sync. 

I don’t disagree but if not for dropped passes we probably beat Cincy. This has been a very weird season when you consider we played 5th string walk ons at QB/RB for half the season and our best receiver led the conference in drops. Ryan Day could have been our coordinator and we wouldn’t have faired much better. I’m in no way arguing the offense was performing well but we had zero healthy talent on that side of the ball for most of the year. 
Ultimately I think Allen needed to do better than Sheridan but it’s not correct to blame this season on him. Warren had 10 starters back, got Ball back from injury and added two starting D Lineman only to go from first to worst in takeaways, 3rd best to worst in scoring defense while still giving up almost 400 yards per game despite all these claims that field position issues caused by the offense was more to blame than the defense. 

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

No, but going right to parties after you get your ass beat every week, having tutors write your papers and do your projects is all I need to know what shape IU football is in under Tom Allen. But at least we have LEO and a 30 million dollar buyout.

If partying after losses and having “help” with papers made you quit on IU football I’m sorry to inform you that you are 45 years too late.

I witnessed plenty during the Corso years is all I’m saying :)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

If partying after losses and having “help” with papers made you quit on IU football I’m sorry to inform you that you are 45 years too late.

I witnessed plenty during the Corso years is all I’m saying :)

Furthermore, sarcasm from players should be navigated in many ways.  I doubt players are going around telling others that they are not doing their work.  Now, I wasn’t there so I have no idea how the conversation occured.  If anything, I can see them joking around about it, which kids do.   

Hey, got to give the kids credit for having common sense to get a ride instead of possibly driving themselves.  Players from all sports have been known to go out after losses.  Pros and college - well documented.  And, even the Coach Knight players had their nights out after tough games.  The kids are not on lock down and they know they will be back at it at 5am.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Furthermore, sarcasm from players should be navigated in many ways.  I doubt players are going around telling others that they are not doing their work.  Now, I wasn’t there so I have no idea how the conversation occured.  If anything, I can see them joking around about it, which kids do.   

Hey, got to give the kids credit for having common sense to get a ride instead of possibly driving themselves.  Players from all sports have been known to go out after losses.  Pros and college - well documented.  And, even the Coach Knight players had their nights out after tough games.  The kids are not on lock down and they know they will be back at it at 5am.   

Nope.. only players under Tom Allen. 

6 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

I didn’t say the defense didn’t have injuries they just weren’t as costly and catastrophic to the game plan as the offense. My point was simply that the defense far underperformed compared to the offense…Injuries on both sides considered 

I mean I don’t watch much Indiana games as I don’t follow the football team like I do the basketball team but if your offense is never on the field because they suck and the defense is asked to be on the field most of the game it’s just destined to be bad for the defense. If you can show me where Indiana won time of possession in more than three of their losses then you might have an argument. Defenses in any program are just not built to me on the field for a majority of the game like the IU defense has been forced to do.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I mean I don’t watch much Indiana games as I don’t follow the football team like I do the basketball team but if your offense is never on the field because they suck and the defense is asked to be on the field most of the game it’s just destined to be bad for the defense. If you can show me where Indiana won time of possession in more than three of their losses then you might have an argument. Defenses in any program are just not built to me on the field for a majority of the game like the IU defense has been forced to do.

Defense was literally hung out to dry every game. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Cumulative Time of Possession:

IU: 29:49/game

Opponents: 30:11/game

https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/football/stats/2021

This lists game by game. IU won the ToP battle exactly half the time. Penn St and Minnesota were the only games where the ToP was heavily lopsided for the opponent. 

Edited by Hoosier82

5 hours ago, Indykev said:

Hell yes they quit. I picked a load of them up after the MD. loss. From the bus to a party. Thats when I quit on IU football for good.

Lack of prep or caring.  Ask yourself what players played injured and worked their way back at full cost to themselves for the team and what players just disappeared.  What you are saying is in line with what I have heard.

17 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

This lists game by game. IU won the ToP battle exactly half the time. Penn St and Minnesota were the only games where the ToP was heavily lopsided for the opponent. 

I ended up spending way too much time putting this together, so I hope everyone can appreciate it.

ToP can be a flawed metric.  Here's IU's drives from the Rutgers game followed by Rutgers starting position (for the first half).  This is only one game, sure, but it clearly illustrates the offense setting the defense up for failure:

1 play - fumble, Rutgers starts next drive at IU 21, scores TD

10 plays - Missed fg, Rutgers 21

3 plays - punt, Rutgers 30, scores TD

3 plays - punt, Rutgers 28

1 play - interception, IU 24, scores Field goal

10 plays - interception, Rutgers 2

3 plays - punt, Rutgers 3

6 plays - fumble, Rutgers 45

7 plays - FG (only points of game)

Halftime:  Despite 3 three-and-outs and FOUR turnovers, the halftime score is 17-3 Rutgers.  For those keeping score, that's 2 drives out of 9 where IU didn't either give the ball right back after three plays or turn it over, and only 4 of 9 drives lasted longer than three plays.  2 of 9 drives were literally only one play.  Of it's three scoring drives, Rutgers started two essentially in the red zone.

3 plays - punt

5 plays - punt

6 plays - TOD

3 plays - punt

3 plays - punt

12 plays - TOD

3 plays - Fumble

Rutgers' three touchdowns in the second half came on a muffed punt that saw them starting at the IU 10, a TD drive that started at the IU 39, and a TD drive that started at the Rutgers 47.

Again, for those keeping score, Rutgers scored on drives starting at:

IU 21

Rutgers 30

IU 24

IU 10

IU 39

Rutgers 47

4 of 6 scoring drives started on IU's side of the field.  Literally HALF of Rutgers scoring drives started, for all intents and purposes, in the red zone, and only 7 points came on a drive longer than 53 yards.  Show me a defense outside of Georgia that's going to come out of that game looking "good."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I ended up spending way too much time putting this together, so I hope everyone can appreciate it.

ToP can be a flawed metric.  Here's IU's drives from the Rutgers game followed by Rutgers starting position (for the first half).  This is only one game, sure, but it clearly illustrates the offense setting the defense up for failure:

1 play - fumble, Rutgers starts next drive at IU 21, scores TD

10 plays - Missed fg, Rutgers 21

3 plays - punt, Rutgers 30, scores TD

3 plays - punt, Rutgers 28

1 play - interception, IU 24, scores Field goal

10 plays - interception, Rutgers 2

3 plays - punt, Rutgers 3

6 plays - fumble, Rutgers 45

7 plays - FG (only points of game)

Halftime:  Despite 3 three-and-outs and FOUR turnovers, the halftime score is 17-3 Rutgers.  For those keeping score, that's 2 drives out of 9 where IU didn't either give the ball right back after three plays or turn it over, and only 4 of 9 drives lasted longer than three plays.  2 of 9 drives were literally only one play.  Of it's three scoring drives, Rutgers started two essentially in the red zone.

3 plays - punt

5 plays - punt

6 plays - TOD

3 plays - punt

3 plays - punt

12 plays - TOD

3 plays - Fumble

Rutgers' three touchdowns in the second half came on a muffed punt that saw them starting at the IU 10, a TD drive that started at the IU 39, and a TD drive that started at the Rutgers 47.

Again, for those keeping score, Rutgers scored on drives starting at:

IU 21

Rutgers 30

IU 24

IU 10

IU 39

Rutgers 47

4 of 6 scoring drives started on IU's side of the field.  Literally HALF of Rutgers scoring drives started, for all intents and purposes, in the red zone, and only 7 points came on a drive longer than 53 yards.  Show me a defense outside of Georgia that's going to come out of that game looking "good."

Might look at ToP through 3qs as well. We possessed the ball a fair amount of 4th qs when the game was over. 

2 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Should look at where each possession started because I bet we had worse field position. 

Also we are here 4 pick 6's so that gives us the ball right back and that can be part of the TOP.  Also that is 28 points right there that goes against our points given up.

Edited by IU Scott