Syracuse Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Tuesday, November 30th 7:00 PM EST

Where: Carrier Dome, Syracuse NY

TV: ESPN2

Syracuse so far is 3-3 under HoF Coach Jim Boeheim...Coming off of a 18-10 (9-7 in ACC play) and an NCAA Tournament appearance where they lost to Houston in their Sweet 16 game...They return 2 starters from that team in F Buddy Boeheim and G Joe Girard...

Results do far...

G   Opponent Conf   Tm Opp OT W L
1   Lafayette Patriot W 97 63   1 0
2   Drexel CAA W 75 60   2 0
3   Colgate Patriot L 85 100   2 1
4 N Virginia Commonwealth A-10 L 55 67   2 2
5 N Arizona State Pac-12 W 92 84   3 2
6 N Auburn (19) SEC L 68 89   3 3

image.png.acc2aa52f3b9a906762d66fc325bf3cf.png

They have 5 players that average in double figures, and the same 5 average over 24 mpg (4 of them over 30 mpg) so they have questionable depth...They are a good offensive team, but aren't very good on the defensive end, and are one of the worst teams defending on the perimeter (they allow 37% on 3s)...

I've watched them a few times this year, and Buddy Boeheim can be a problem...He's a good scorer and has a decent mid-range game...only 31% from 3....Girard was a prolific scorer in high school (Glen Falls, NY) scoring over 4,700 points (he started as an 8th grader for his Uncle Rob) and averaged 50 ppg as a junior and senior...picked 7th or 8th in the ACC this year...

"Outlook: ‘Twas another patented ‘rope-a-dope’ Syracuse season in the land of Orange. You know the script. Float on the bubble, barge into the dance, then spoil everyone’s fun masquerading as a ‘Cinderella’, while the rest of us non-Cuse fans roll our eyes in annoyance.

Say what you will about Jimmy Boeheim, but few coaches in America are as forthcoming when it comes to assessing their own team (as a semi-professional previewer of teams, this pleases me!). The following Boeheim quote, courtesy of Adam Zagorgia’s interview from Forbes, encapsulates the Orange’s 2021-22 outlook in a nut shell:

“We will be a really, really good offensive team. We will score better and more than last year and we were in the top 40 in offense. … We got nine good players but they all can shoot. We got knockdown shooters. We’re a little slow so how much that affects us I don’t know.”

Boom, nailed it. Premier athletes with go-go-gadget arms have been subtly replaced by robotic shooters, who can rip the nets from NBA range and beyond. Buddy Boeheim headlines the deep stable of shooters, riding high off his NCAA Tournament inferno. And since the ‘give it to my kid and let him make it rain’ play worked wonders, why not go double trouble with big bro in the mix?! 

Bottom Line: This is the third straight season where Syracuse will go as their shot making goes, an odd identity shift from the length and athleticism infused defensive-driven squads that preceded them. A healthy Sidibe and a consistent Edwards could restore balance to the force but this figures to be another vanilla defensive team, devoid of the intimidating length and anticipation we’ve seen bewilder opponents in the past. Still, Syracuse will light it up with anyone, again, and be right back in the thick of the bubble ether, again."

Highlights of their win against Arizona State...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the preview. I’ll be interested to see how our ball pressure effects their 3 point shooting. Would love to see X get into their grills without getting into foul trouble. Their lack of foot speed was also mentioned which might play into KL’s strength. 

If we win there will probably be posts about Woody figuring out their zone (as opposed to Crean) but your preview makes it clear this is an entirely different type of Cuse team with a much different skill set. They have already given up 89 or more points to 3 opponents which is not typical old-school Syracuse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

ESPN doesn't like our chances.  I tend to agree.  We need to shoot very well to have a chance imo.

Screenshot_20211128-140333_ESPN.jpg

I don't know...Someone made mention in another thread about shooting in a dome, which may throw us off, but I kinda like the matchups in our favor...

I think X is just the kind of guard that can get Girard to turn it over (he averages 4 turnovers per game) and can stop his outside shooting too...You can't give him any room, because he will drain them (56% so far this year)...but although Girard is quick, he's not fast and he's marginally skilled athletically...

On the defensive end, beside X on Girard, I'd guess

TJD takes Edwards

Race takes Swider

Kopp on Jimmy Boeheim

Parker on Buddy Boeheim

I've been impressed with Stewart's D, and Boeheim isn't nearly the athlete Kinsey was...

46 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When: Saturday, November 30th 7:00 PM EST

Where: Carrier Dome, Syracuse NY

TV: ESPN2

Syracuse so far is 3-3 under HoF Coach Jim Boeheim...Coming off of a 18-10 (9-7 in ACC play) and an NCAA Tournament appearance where they lost to Houston in their Sweet 16 game...They return 2 starters from that team in F Buddy Boeheim and G Joe Girard...

Results do far...

G   Opponent Conf   Tm Opp OT W L
1   Lafayette Patriot W 97 63   1 0
2   Drexel CAA W 75 60   2 0
3   Colgate Patriot L 85 100   2 1
4 N Virginia Commonwealth A-10 L 55 67   2 2
5 N Arizona State Pac-12 W 92 84   3 2
6 N Auburn (19) SEC L 68 89   3 3

image.png.acc2aa52f3b9a906762d66fc325bf3cf.png

They have 5 players that average in double figures, and the same 5 average over 24 mpg (4 of them over 30 mpg) so they have questionable depth...They are a good offensive team, but aren't very good on the defensive end, and are one of the worst teams defending on the perimeter (they allow 37% on 3s)...

I've watched them a few times this year, and Buddy Boeheim can be a problem...He's a good scorer and has a decent mid-range game...only 31% from 3....Girard was a prolific scorer in high school (Glen Falls, NY) scoring over 4,700 points (he started as an 8th grader for his Uncle Rob) and averaged 50 ppg as a junior and senior...picked 7th or 8th in the ACC this year...

"Outlook: ‘Twas another patented ‘rope-a-dope’ Syracuse season in the land of Orange. You know the script. Float on the bubble, barge into the dance, then spoil everyone’s fun masquerading as a ‘Cinderella’, while the rest of us non-Cuse fans roll our eyes in annoyance.

Say what you will about Jimmy Boeheim, but few coaches in America are as forthcoming when it comes to assessing their own team (as a semi-professional previewer of teams, this pleases me!). The following Boeheim quote, courtesy of Adam Zagorgia’s interview from Forbes, encapsulates the Orange’s 2021-22 outlook in a nut shell:

“We will be a really, really good offensive team. We will score better and more than last year and we were in the top 40 in offense. … We got nine good players but they all can shoot. We got knockdown shooters. We’re a little slow so how much that affects us I don’t know.”

Boom, nailed it. Premier athletes with go-go-gadget arms have been subtly replaced by robotic shooters, who can rip the nets from NBA range and beyond. Buddy Boeheim headlines the deep stable of shooters, riding high off his NCAA Tournament inferno. And since the ‘give it to my kid and let him make it rain’ play worked wonders, why not go double trouble with big bro in the mix?! 

Bottom Line: This is the third straight season where Syracuse will go as their shot making goes, an odd identity shift from the length and athleticism infused defensive-driven squads that preceded them. A healthy Sidibe and a consistent Edwards could restore balance to the force but this figures to be another vanilla defensive team, devoid of the intimidating length and anticipation we’ve seen bewilder opponents in the past. Still, Syracuse will light it up with anyone, again, and be right back in the thick of the bubble ether, again."

Highlights of their win against Arizona State...

You mean Tuesday not Saturday 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

I've watched 2-3 Cuse games this year. 

Surprisingly, the weakest part of their zone is behind it. If you move the ball side to side and let them press you a little further out, the entire backside is exposed for a screen and a dunk. I saw multiple (and I mean a LOT) of times their zone back line was above the free throw line!

But they pressure the ball pretty well from the front of the zone, almost like man coverage.

But I gotta think Woody will have this figured out in a couple of possessions.

Go Hoosiers !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

ESPN doesn't like our chances.  I tend to agree.  We need to shoot very well to have a chance imo.

Screenshot_20211128-140333_ESPN.jpg

I don’t know man. It’s certainly no gimme but we SHOULD win this game. We’re the better team. Do I expect us to win with it being a first true road game and Syracuse desperate for a win? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by kyhoosier29

3 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Why should we be scared? We’re the better team. I’m optimistic we win. 

On paper probably but we're on the road for the first time all season in a very hostile environment. 

There were only 2 games on our schedule that I thought we had a near zero chance of winning.  At Mackey and tomorrow night.

• Confused 1

If Colgate can go into teh Carrier Dome and win by 15, why are we even questioning IU's ability to win there.

Here are some key stats that contributed to Colgate's victory.

• Only 11 turnovers
  • 19 offensive rebounds
  • 18-21 from the free throw line
  • 18-43 (41.9%) on 3 pointers
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If Colgate can go into teh Carrier Dome and win by 15, why are we even questioning IU's ability to win there.

Here are some key stats that contributed to Colgate's victory.

• Only 11 turnovers
  • 19 offensive rebounds
  • 18-21 from the free throw line
  • 18-43 (41.9%) on 3 pointers

Three of those four things IU is not very good at currently. That's not the IU recipe, at least so far. 

I of course think IU can win this game, I'm not sure the Colgate win there means much in terms of what might happen tomorrow. 

• Like 1