Syracuse Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

9 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Yep, setting the bar at the "any decent high school coach" level!

To be honest, the Syracuse Zone has taken down more talented programs than IU over the last 30 years. To say any high school coach should be able to beat it just to take a dig at Coach Crean is a bit much.  Yeah, we should have won that game and possible been in the final that year, but Syracuse has always been tough to beat, for everyone.

• Like 6

IU has to be patient.   Watched VCU play Syracuse this past week in the Battle 4 Atlantis.  

VCU was patient, worked the middle of the zone, found creases and took quality shots.  Add to that timely and quality shots from 3, and I think IU will be fine.  

Guard their shooters tightly.  Overall length and athleticism is not close to what is the norm for Syracuse.  Defend, rebound, patient on offense = WIN.  

• Like 4

23 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Parker Stewart has not shot a free throw yet this season.  He's played 138 minutes (3rd most on the team behind Trayce and Race).  

Parker is too slow to get past his man to get to the foul line. He is purely a catch and shoot guy. Don't get me wrong...we NEED that kind of shooter...but his speed is a liability...and he is never someone that will scare anyone into fouling him. You just run him off the 3pt line.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Parker is too slow to get past his man to get to the foul line. He is purely a catch and shoot guy. Don't get me wrong...we NEED that kind of shooter...but his speed is a liability...and he is never someone that will scare anyone into fouling him. You just run him off the 3pt line.

He takes up room though...😉 hard for his man to get around him...i like having different people on bench... You could have the two Proto typical guards that are usually small but are quick and get to the basket but it's kind of nice to have a different tool in case you play somebody different so for him to be so much different than say Landers I kinda like it....it's like having a straight screwdriver a Phillips screwdriver and a star screwdriver ...

58 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Matt Roth was by no means an athletic freak and woulda killed to have a guy like him on the team the last 4 years!  Parker knows his roll and to this point has filled it quite well. If he just keeps doing what he has been ill be happy. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

A second thought would be that since the outside games of Trayce and Race haven't developed as we would have thought, there's not a lot of room for us to dribble drive as much as we would like...I think he can do it (as cited in his UT-Martin time above), but with the team he's on, he's better suited (as you said) spotting up and making 3s...