Syracuse Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Colgate wasn't scared.  Geez guys.  We should and will win this game.

You're right, but there are 3 things to consider...

First road game

Playing in a dome where the sight lines are different that a regular arena

And we're facing a Hall of Fame coach...

After seeing Dayton knock off a pretty good Kansas team and some of the struggles other highly rated teams are having with lower ranked teams, it can happen to us...

I don't think it will, but you have to consider it...

Edited by IUFLA

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Understood.  But 6 games is a little extreme for the number of minutes he plays.

Agree. His 3pt shooting and experience are really going to help this team, but I'm a little surprised at Stewart's lack of ability to create plays. 

I had never seen him play before, and I understand UT-Martin (I think that's where he played before?) is a couple steps down, but you'd think a guy that averaged 17ish ppg would have more athleticism and playmaking skills. 

Again, I'm glad we have him, don't get me wrong. I'm just a little surprised that he's basically a spot-up shooter offensively. 

21 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Coach Woody makes me chuckle when he starts chuckling at some of the hand wringing the media guys do over that flippin' zone...

He never overlooks anyone, and he breaks the game down to its simplest form...Play good defense and you gotta make shots no matter who you're playing and what defense they throw at you...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

My indicator for this game will be the first 5 minutes. Do we commit to breaking their zone down from the inside-out and playing through TJD as well as through getting the ball to the paint/foul line areas. 

Or, do we let their zone trick us into several early in the shotclock 3's just because we're open. 

I don’t mind IU putting 3's up, I just think the recipe will be putting them up because we've worked the zone inside-out, as opposed to guys jacking up deep, early 3's just because their open. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. His 3pt shooting and experience are really going to help this team, but I'm a little surprised at Stewart's lack of ability to create plays. 

I had never seen him play before, and I understand UT-Martin (I think that's where he played before?) is a couple steps down, but you'd think a guy that averaged 17ish ppg would have more athleticism and playmaking skills. 

Again, I'm glad we have him, don't get me wrong. I'm just a little surprised that he's basically a spot-up shooter offensively. 

So looking at his lifetime stats, there are some clues...

image.png.7a30d7c7ae164144162d784d4458e37d.png

Notice that between his freshman year at Pitt and his 2nd year at UT Martin he basically played 60 more total minutes at UT Martin, yet he attempted a whopping 126 more 2 point FGs (which indicates to me a lot more dribble drive and a lot more mid range) while his 3 point attempts remained relatively the same and both his assists and turnover numbers went way up.  His Dad was using him in a far different capacity (and relying on him to BE a playmaker) than Kevin Stallings did at Pitt, or how Mike Woodson is using him as more as a spot up shooter as you said...

I looked at his game logs from his season at UTM, and one thing that stood out was in his year with the Skyhawks, in 25 games, he played only one game against a P6 school...Baylor...

So I think you hit the nail on the head...the step down in competition had a lot to do with it...He had decent numbers as a playmaker...But the against better competition of the ACC and Big 10, he's in a role he's more suited to...

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Nothing wrong with a "D and 3-er".

• Like 2

Here's some good news...

Only 2 of our players have ever played in the Carrier Dome...Parker Stewart had 23 points in his only game there there as a freshman including 7-13 from 3...No problem shooting in the dome for him...

Xavier Johnson is more of a mixed bag...he has played there 3 times scoring 17 as a freshman (3-5 from behind the arc) 9 as a sophomore on 3-13 shooting overall and 2-8 from 3, and 3-14 overall and 2-7 from 3 last year...7-20 overall from 3 (35%)

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

Patience and player/ball movement should result in a lot of open shots for IU. It's a matter of hitting them. Let's see if they can show that patience for 40 minutes and if they can work the zone and get the shot they want from the players they want to take them.

Cuse has one legit shot blocker who tends to foul, so it's important IU takes the ball inside and not rely solely on hitting threes. From the little I've seen of the orange this season it appears you can get to the lane off the dribble or with a pick at the top and that opens up everything. Colgate got the zone moving and just a simple pump fake led to wide open shots. X could have a huge game dishing out assists if he stays under control.

Something Coach Knight always practiced against the zone was bringing someone from behind. If you can get the ball to certain spots and force them to rotate up or over it's hard for a team playing zone to account for what's going on behind them. Auburn was able to get lobs at the rim and easy layups with this approach. 

When Syracuse has the ball it looks like a big part of their offense is just trying to push the ball after a miss and pull up from three in transition. In the half-court it was a lot of one-on-one trying to beat their man and a lot of perimeter shots. Did not see much effort to toss the ball inside and did not see a lot of pick and roll. They can definitely shoot it though. IU will need to stay with their man.

I'm interested to see how IU rebounds the ball. Against a zone you should have an advantage and IU may be able to work the offensive glass. If they can't rebound the ball, especially after taking some long three pointers, it may lead to easy offense for Syracuse.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Something Coach Knight always practiced against the zone was bringing someone from behind. If you can get the ball to certain spots and force them to rotate up or over it's hard for a team playing zone to account for what's going on behind them. Auburn was able to get lobs at the rim and easy layups with this approach. 

In the 2-3 games I watched of Cuse, they have a tendency to move the zone out toward the top of the key, especially if the ball reverses alot. I saw multiple possessions where the back line of the zone was at the free throw line, so behind the zone should become a killing field.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Patience and player/ball movement should result in a lot of open shots for IU. It's a matter of hitting them. Let's see if they can show that patience for 40 minutes and if they can work the zone and get the shot they want from the players they want to take them.

Cuse has one legit shot blocker who tends to foul, so it's important IU takes the ball inside and not rely solely on hitting threes. From the little I've seen of the orange this season it appears you can get to the lane off the dribble or with a pick at the top and that opens up everything. Colgate got the zone moving and just a simple pump fake led to wide open shots. X could have a huge game dishing out assists if he stays under control.

When Syracuse has the ball it looks like a big part of their offense is just trying to push the ball after a miss and pull up from three in transition. In the half-court it was a lot of one-on-one trying to beat their man and a lot of perimeter shots. Did not see much effort to toss the ball inside and did not see a lot of pick and roll. They can definitely shoot it though. IU will need to stay with their man.

I'm interested to see how IU rebounds the ball. Against a zone you should have an advantage and IU may be able to work the offensive glass. If they can't rebound the ball, especially after taking some long three pointers, it may lead to easy offense for Syracuse.

Elbow and short corner get scorers to those spots and you can destroy a zone.  It's not so simple against a Syracuse zone but those holes are there. Guys need to attack and not be hesitant. If we make decisive moves we will have no problem beating their zone

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I feel really good about this one. We are not counting on Freshmen to carry us. Our vets will do just fine in the Carrier Dome and a double digit win for the Hoosiers. 

I hope you're correct here but I think if Rob is still out it will be tough for us to win this one as our first road game.

9 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

When is the last time we won a non-conference road game against a high major program?  The last one that comes to mind is when we beat NCST when Crean was the coach. That win seemed to set the table for us(at least for a few years). I hope this game ends up the same.

Wow...you're right...

Guess what the date was?

November 30th, 2011...

😮

• Like 2