Will Juwan Morgan be here next season ?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

He also played the 4 his entire college career next to Noah. I don’t really care what he is or what kob thinks he is. If he’s going to line up along side Baynes every night out, guys like Morgan (if he’s gonna play the 4 in the NBA) are going to line up against him which is why I listed him as an example 

As others have said, Horford plays about half the game with Baynes as a 4 and half the game with Baynes on the bench as a 5. Not sure college is really relevant. 

If we're really getting into the semantics of it, Morgan would most likely be coming off the bench, if he's even in the rotation of an NBA team, and defending someone like Marcus Morris (using the Celtics as an example), or basically hybrid 4/3's in the NBA. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Imo, if he were to tear a page out of Victor Oladipo's booked and get cut up this summer and really work on his body, leaner and meaner.  I could see him burst forth to be a national Player of the Year candidate next year, however I predict he will go pro. 

Agree. It just depends on what is important to him. Does he want to get the pro's as soon as possible and earn money, and potentially take the harder road by being a 2nd round pick or most likely undrafted free agent and have to work up through the G-League (Blackmon and now to an extent Troy)? Or, does he want to gamble on himself, which is potentially the more risky option, and come back to IU to try and have a POY of the year season in an attempt to vault himself into a first round pick. 

Both options have their pro's and con's, it just depends on what is important to him. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know it is still early, and I'm obviously reading a lot into what might be nothing, but I don't have as good of a feeling as I did a couple weeks ago.

He's seemed different the last few games.  Almost uninterested compared to the fire he used to always show.

I don't know if he doesn't mesh with Archie, or if he just wanted to get the season over and move on to playing professionally, or if he's injured/sick, or what it might be.  Just trying to read the tea leaves.  

11 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I know it is still early, and I'm obviously reading a lot into what might be nothing, but I don't have as good of a feeling as I did a couple weeks ago.

He's seemed different the last few games.  Almost uninterested compared to the fire he used to always show.

I don't know if he doesn't mesh with Archie, or if he just wanted to get the season over and move on to playing professionally, or if he's injured/sick, or what it might be.  Just trying to read the tea leaves.  

He probably is just tired from all he had to do for this team.  Remember his first two years he did not play huge minutes so this is the first year where he played and started every game.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Yes if we don't get Romeo and Morgan leaves

Unless we can pull some grad transfer magic. I’ve said it before, but amazing what a decision from one college kid and on high school kid can do. With Juwan and Langford on the roster I think we’re a top 3-4 Big Ten team and the program is really building momentum. Lose both and we’re probably consecutive season of missing the NIT. 

I will be pissed if we lose Morgan. Troy leaves after his junior year and goes undrafted. Blackmon leaves after his junior year and doesn't get drafted. Seriously, screw Crean for creating the culture of getting kids to the NBA in three years even if they aren't good enough. I'm tired of losing kids like that while other programs keep better players.

6 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I will be pissed if we lose Morgan. Troy leaves after his junior year and goes undrafted. Blackmon leaves after his junior year and doesn't get drafted. Seriously, screw Crean for creating the culture of getting kids to the NBA in three years even if they aren't good enough. I'm tired of losing kids like that while other programs keep better players.

I think it would be a mistake for him to leave. He’s not getting drafted. But, its up to him if he wants to improve his game at IU or in the G-League. There is something to be said for getting paid and being able to work on your game in an NBA style way, but there’s also something to be said for working on your game all summer and coming back for a chance at BT POY and potentially work your way into a high 2nd round maybe even late 1st round pick. 

Juwan is a very nice player and at times this year, dominated.  That being said, I'm not seeing NBA-ready at this stage.  I don't see extraordinary athleticism or a high-percentage stroke from deep, or exceptional length or speed.  I see a very good college player that doesn't yet translate to the NBA.  Someone mentioned Draymond Green and that appears an apt description.  I just think like Draymond, he needs another year of seasoning to make up for his lack of outstanding NBA-ready attributes.  Those of you who think he's leaving, sell me on why it's a great decision for him.  Personally, I think he can get a lot more polished with another year, but I'm open to persuasive arguments that he's more ready than I think he is.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Juwan is a very nice player and at times this year, dominated.  That being said, I'm not seeing NBA-ready at this stage.  I don't see extraordinary athleticism or a high-percentage stroke from deep, or exceptional length or speed.  I see a very good college player that doesn't yet translate to the NBA.  Someone mentioned Draymond Green and that appears an apt description.  I just think like Draymond, he needs another year of seasoning to make up for his lack of outstanding NBA-ready attributes.  Those of you who think he's leaving, sell me on why it's a great decision for him.  Personally, I think he can get a lot more polished with another year, but I'm open to persuasive arguments that he's more ready than I think he is.

First, I agree he’s not an NBA player at this point. He just hasn’t show the ability to hit any type of jump shot consistently. But, my argumentments for him leaving would be that in the G-League he can work full time on his own development.

The NBA game and college games are different, where you get shots are different, offensive sets are different, etc., so he can work on his shooting in the spots where he would potentially get shots in the NBA. He can focus on that full-time. In college he has the summer to work on his game, but once the season starts it’s whats best for the team and program. 

Add to it that in the G-League he’ll get paid and not have to go to school. 

Just giving the flip-side, I think he should stay. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

First, I agree he’s not an NBA player at this point. He just hasn’t show the ability to hit any type of jump shot consistently. But, my argumentments for him leaving would be that in the G-League he can work full time on his own development.

The NBA game and college games are different, where you get shots are different, offensive sets are different, etc., so he can work on his shooting in the spots where he would potentially get shots in the NBA. He can focus on that full-time. In college he has the summer to work on his game, but once the season starts it’s whats best for the team and program. 

Add to it that in the G-League he’ll get paid and not have to go to school. 

Just giving the flip-side, I think he should stay. 

I know the G-League is improved, but it just feels like he would toil in obscurity and have less chance to be noticed than if he had a really nice high-profile first team B10 season where IU has a much-improved season. The old D league was more or less a career death sentence...curious how much you think the new and improved G-league has changed that perception among NBA execs?

5 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

i understand your point, but we're far from the only program that makes this model possible.  not so much Crean as the culture of basketball today.

Can we all at least agree that when he declares for the draft without an agent we shouldn’t spew the vitriol online and on twitter towards him that we normally do when our underclassmen go through the process? The way rojo was talked about last year was embarrassing and I think the same can be said about the way Bryant and Blackmon were talked about...

Somewhere along the line we got the idea that being big fans gave us the right to say terrible things about teenagers and people barely into their twenties trying to fulfill their dreams...

I honestly feel it is a way we undermine the program and a way that other fan bases can claim superiority over ours...

Juwan played all out this year and has been injured a bunch of times in his career. If he thinks it’s best for him to leave it’ll be sad because I enjoy watching him play in an IU uniform, but he will have earned it.

Quite frankly, it's none of our business whether Juan leaves or goes beyond knowing whether there will be a scholarship to fill.  I would think as fan base we would thank any player for playing for IU.  I just can't understand why anyone would want to be critical of his decision.  If he leaves for the NBA, I will wish him nothing but success and hope he accomplishes his dreams.  The selfish side of me still wishes we could watch him develop even further playing for us next year.

One of Crean's big selling points to recruits during his time here was that they could come to IU and get a degree in 3 years.  Can't really be angry at guys who come here, play hard, get a degree and then follow their dreams professionally (it would sting a little bit if Juwan took a grad transfer).  Lots of people were dropping the "get your passport ready" jokes to Troy Williams when he left.  He's gotten more NBA minutes than almost anyone expected.  Losing Juwan would really hurt us next year, but I wouldn't begrudge him a bit.  

Archived