Who should Notre Dame contact for head coaching vacancy

I think they will want a really big.name to fill this void. Here is who I think they should at least make a call to. In no particular order IM sure I'm missing some obvious choices.

Marcus Freeman

Luke Fickell 

Matt Campbell

John Harbaugh

Urban Meyers

If this job opened up 1 year ago, would Tom Allen garnered consideration from ND?

18 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think they will want a really big.name to fill this void. Here is who I think they should at least make a call to. In no particular order IM sure I'm missing some obvious choices.

Marcus Freeman

Luke Fickell 

Matt Campbell

John Harbaugh

Urban Meyers

If this job opened up 1 year ago, would Tom Allen garnered consideration from ND?

Bob Stoops? 

Matt Rhule? 

At the end of the day, this hire will be judged on wins and losses, and typically I think ND just needs to hire the right coach. But in this case, USC just made a major splash and LSU just made a big splash while hitting ND across the chin. 

I think ND needs to respond here with a big splash of their own, at least to win the court of public opinion. Again at the end of the day, the wins will be what ultimately matter though. 

I'd say guys like Fickell, Rhule, Stoops, Meyer, etc., would qualify as big splashes to varying degrees. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Marcus Freeman

Luke Fickell 

Matt Campbell

John Harbaugh

Urban Meyers

I don’t believe so….Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Marcus Freeman

Luke Fickell 

Matt Campbell

John Harbaugh

Urban Meyers

Over on the ND Blue & Gold forum, many are rooting for Fickell.

Also, many think this is a lateral move for FCB. Supposedly, Kelly turned down LSU last week....

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Would Fickell leave Cincy before the playoff?

I don’t know what he’d do if ND came calling, but Fickell is said to be very content at UC, and doesn’t want to leave until his two older kids finish high school, where they are both baseball players at Moeller (Griffey’s alma mater, baseball machine). 

He’s a Columbus native, and since I don’t see OSU opening anytime soon, UC is the closest high major. 

39 minutes ago, rico said:

I would say no.  But Kelly just left ND when they are squarely in the CFP hunt.

In any event, it's going to be a distraction Cincy does not need headed into their conference championship.  That said, if Cincy makes the playoff, I can't see him leaving.  Talk about mixed messages.  That would be the ultimate.  Convincing your team they are just as good as the elite, and when they justify it by making the playoff, say 'Sorry, I was just kidding.  These other guys are better". 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In any event, it's going to be a distraction Cincy does not need headed into their conference championship.  That said, if Cincy makes the playoff, I can't see him leaving.  Talk about mixed messages.  That would be the ultimate.  Convincing your team they are just as good as the elite, and when they justify it by making the playoff, say 'Sorry, I was just kidding.  These other guys are better". 

I am seeing and hearing that Notre Dame is willing to wait on Fickell.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

I am seeing and hearing that Notre Dame is willing to wait on Fickell.  

It'll be Fickell or Freeman. Fickell even has an opt out in his contract just for ND. I think he might be the guy but I wouldn't be surprised if it's Freeman with all the support he's getting. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I think they will wait for Fickell and if he turns them down, then they have to go after Freeman.  I would think that Matt Campbell is the third option.

Fickell has said before that OSU and ND are the only 2 jobs he would leave Cincy for.  Does them making the CFP and potential National Championship game make him reconsider though is the question.   You've got to believe ND has people in contact with Fickell or his people to make sure he still wants the job before they decide to wait it out for him.  I don't think they would want to lose out on Freeman by waiting for Fickell if he isnt going to take the job.

Edited by SpiderMonkey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiderMonkey said:

Yeah, I think they will wait for Fickell and if he turns them down, then they have to go after Freeman.  I would think that Matt Campbell is the third option.

Fickell has said before that OSU and ND are the only 2 jobs he would leave Cincy for.  Does them making the CFP and potential National Championship game make him reconsider though is the question.   You've got to believe ND has people in contact with Fickell or his people to make sure he still wants the job before they decide to wait it out for him.  I don't think they would want to lose out on Freeman by waiting for Fickell if he isnt going to take the job.

If ND does not have a coach named in 2 weeks it will be Fickell.