Yet Another School Shooting

5fouls

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

This is so difficult, because your post is spot on.  When we were growing up (pre turn of century), there was zero risk of that weapon being used to shoot up a school.  

The world is different now, and regardless of the reasons, it is important to adapt.  A farmer absolutely has the right to have a gun to protect livestock.  However, if that farmer has a troubled teenager, it is important to recognize that the teen's access to the gun should be restricted.

I will say, that when I was on the farm as a teenager, I was far too tired to be "troubled"....maybe there is something to that.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Literally just received a notification from our High School that a kid made a teacher aware that he had a hunting rifle in his car this morning.  

There was no threat and nobody was hurt. But again, why is a minor carrying a gun in his car that is parked on school property?

Stupidity.

Some schools (albeit predominantly rural schools) have outdoor progams, and some even include shooting sports.  Several schools in Southern Indiana have Trap shooting teams.  My kids practiced at a range 30 minutes from school.  I usually went, but I would not at all be surprised if some of those kids had their trap guns in their cars, and may/may not have parked on campus.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Times are different now. Schools have active shooter drills. Heck, Oxford happened a few weeks ago. Kids know that they aren’t allowed to have a gun if they are a minor and they damn well know not to bring it on school property. My 10 year old knows she can’t bring a gun on school property. This is also not jay walking or going over the speed limit. I’m also not sure why you seem to be more concerned about the kid incriminating himself.

I'm just saying if it was me I would have kept my mouth shut. There are lots of rules/laws that get broken that cause no harm to anyone. No reason to get yourself in trouble over it. 

• Like 1

I'm not some wild west gunslinger, but I do regularly practice active shooter and defensive exercises.  I ignore no gun signs everywhen that's not covered by federal or state law.  In hundreds of instances, I have walked past no gun signs in businesses with a concealed firearm strapped on.  Never has anyone been the wiser and no one has been injured in any manner as a result of me ignoring such requests.  If someone somehow figured out I was carrying and asked me to leave, I would, but if a criminal ever enters the same establishment intending to harm people, the folks who put up the no guns signs may be very glad someone ignored them. 

To a criminal, there is no such thing as a gun-free zone.  I don't see us resolving school shootings by telling kids they are not allowed to bring guns to school.  That ship has apparently sailed.  A person with criminal intent ignores rules and laws and only understands an equal or greater deterrent force.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

A society that allows juveniles easy, unsupervised, access to any type of gun is broken. 

But it's not society...society has numerous laws, both state and federal, that prohibits anyone under 18 from buying a firearm.

You hit the nail on the head with parents and parenting.

Why didn't the school suspend Ethan Crumbly when his parents were called in earlier in the day of the shooting? School authorities wanted the parents to take him with them when they left, but they refused. The school authorities should have stood their ground and made the parents take him...but, schools are so afraid of parents sueing them, they back off at the first resistance...

It's my true hope the parents each catch a charge on this one...maybe some time in a prison for them will wake up some of these people who don't want to be real parents to their kids...

• Like 3

14 hours ago, IUFLA said:

But it's not society...society has numerous laws, both state and federal, that prohibits anyone under 18 from buying a firearm.

Why didn't the school suspend Ethan Crumbly when his parents were called in earlier in the day of the shooting? School authorities wanted the parents to take him with them when they left, but they refused. The school authorities should have stood their ground and made the parents take him...but, schools are so afraid of parents sueing them, they back off at the first resistance...

It's my true hope the parents each catch a charge on this one...maybe some time in a prison for them will wake up some of these people who don't want to be real parents to their kids...

You bring up a point that I don't think is discussed enough.  The school most definitely bears some responsibility in this.  They probably need to hire new lawyers.  Some who would have advised them that it's better to be sued by one family for kicking their kid out of school than by several for the murder of their children.   About 15 years ago, when my oldest was in about 6th grade, he wrote a note to a friend of his that said "I'll kill you" and left it on the other kid's desk.  It was seen by someone else and turned in.  Both parties agreed that it was part of a stupid game they were playing, and there was no animosity.  Both are still friends today.  However, my son was sent home and suspended from school.  I was pissed at the time, but it was the right call by the school.  It either set, or followed a precedent that would allow them to protect their students going forward, it also taught my son that his actions can and will be viewed through a wider lens, and perceptions will differ.  If only someone at that school would have had the stones to suspend/expel that kid, maybe this senseless act could have been avoided.

• Like 3

On 12/17/2021 at 5:27 PM, Muddy River said:

I will say, that when I was on the farm as a teenager, I was far too tired to be "troubled"....maybe there is something to that.  

I know sports, church, chores, working...yeah..there was no time to get into trouble. I know not all kids have those opportunities...I'd say I was very fortunate to grow up in a wonderfully loving and yet very disciplined 2 parent household. We had very little money but it was full of love and we all played sports and had our jobs to do and was taught responsibility, accountability, and self control. I know kids are being taught a lot in this day and age...but the careless thought of consideration for human life and this victim mentality that people are always wronging you and dividing each other makes it very difficult I think in todays world. Pretty sure I know where all the hate is coming from but not sure if people will accept the message of how to overcome it.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2021 at 5:34 PM, Muddy River said:

Some schools (albeit predominantly rural schools) have outdoor progams, and some even include shooting sports.  Several schools in Southern Indiana have Trap shooting teams.  My kids practiced at a range 30 minutes from school.  I usually went, but I would not at all be surprised if some of those kids had their trap guns in their cars, and may/may not have parked on campus.  

Yeah in Kentucky we had several schools with fishing and trap teams. That would have been awesome at our school!

On 12/17/2021 at 8:22 PM, IUFLA said:

I think when people say society they are speaking to current culture at large. The stupid tik tock challenges, the tv & movies, video games, the decline of organized religion and the push to undermine the family which is so pervasive in the current culture wars. I mean we went from Andy Griffith show and Leave it to Beaver etc to Squid Games etc. We've gone from Pac Man and Mario to GTA and worse. Etc Etc...I think you see what people are getting at in this push for a "progressive" society. While we have more laws now then ever...we also see what happens when we don't ENFORCE those laws as well. If we enforce many of the laws and rules we have then that would also go a long way to eliminating people trying to take the law into their own hands or kids or people feeling helpless in being bullied and attacked that they take such desperate actions. Anyways, that doesn't mean that society and the cultural norms etc has all been positive. We've gone from turn the other cheek and do unto others as you would have them do unto you to glamorizing violence and glamorizing guns and well just the list goes on and on the changes in society..and on both sides to gun debate. Anyways...we are definitely pretty far down this rabbit hole...not sure people are willing to do what would be necessary to get out of it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think when people say society they are speaking to current culture at large.

Been a long time since I took a sociology class, but I always thought a society was made up of different cultures driven by both ethnicity and/or a common interest. I've always considered society at large to be the body that chooses our elected officials that enact our laws...

Could be wrong and I'll not belabor the point...But I do think @5foulswas right in citing parents and parenting as the main culprit...

It's sad that we have to almost force people to pay attention to the kids they brought into this world...

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

not sure people are willing to do what would be necessary to get out of it.

Some are waking up to the fact that if you don't pay attention to what's being taught at your kids' school and you don't participate in elections that choose the people dictating rules and curriculum you'll pay for it down the road...

My kids are all out of school, but I've always paid attention to even the lowest level elections...I know it's difficult to get information on the thoughts candidates have in such matters, but I can see pre election vetting becoming more important than ever...It's the information age...The information is out there...

• Like 4

On the day of the tik tok challenge a student at our elementary school made a series of videos showing him loading and unloading his Dad's gun and that he planned on using them at school the next day. He then brought an air soft gun to school and aimed it at some kids. It will be interesting to see what happens in this situation. Crazy crazy world.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

On the day of the tik tok challenge a student at our elementary school made a series of videos showing him loading and unloading his Dad's gun and that he planned on using them at school the next day. He then brought an air soft gun to school and aimed it at some kids. It will be interesting to see what happens in this situation. Crazy crazy world.

Something very serious I hope. 😢

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

As long as we have people like this....we will keep raising kids like the ones we've seen. SMH I just don't get it...I really don't. Every time I think I've seen it all....we sink a little lower.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Are you freaking kidding me!! She is a complete IDIOT!!!! Apparently, she uses her art classroom a whole hell of a lot differently than I do. This is the first I’m hearing about this….Don’t associate me with the likes of that dumba$$!😳

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Are you freaking kidding me!! She is a complete IDIOT!!!! Apparently, she uses her art classroom a whole hell of a lot differently than I do. This is the first I’m hearing about this….Don’t associate me with the likes of that dumba$$!😳

Just when you think you have heard it all a new level of stupidity rears it's ugly head.

Have a Merry Christmas my friend, you are the best art teacher I know. Hope the family doing well!!

• Like 1