Syracuse Game Thread

Reacher

31 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Different strategies work.  They had Trayce in centerfield and protecting the rim aginst a guard going up.  The foul was on Lander from behind (which I didn't see at first).  If that foul, which was a non necessary one, play works.  

The first trap could of also been a little tighter.  They will learn.  I liked the play, try to get a turnover, score and go home.  

But in a tied game you don't even want to let them get to a point where they can even get that close to the rim. Bad things happen when you allow that. 

You pick up with token pressure, forcing them to turn a couple times and then force them into a deep prayer shot. 

The extreme pressure allowed Cuse to get downhill and put pressure on the defense. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

But in a tied game you don't even want to let them get to a point where they can even get that close to the rim. Bad things happen when you allow that. 

You pick up with token pressure, forcing them to turn a couple times and then force them into a deep prayer shot. 

The extreme pressure allowed Cuse to get downhill and put pressure on the defense. 

Yes, you absolutely do not allow them to have that sort of momentum going on a straight line at the basket, ever, and especially in that situation. I have no idea what Bates was doing. 

Then Lander allows himself to get out of position once his guy makes a pass because he rests, then he fouls with TJD right there lol 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, it was really bad. Very curious if that was coach driven or just two overzealous freshmen not understanding time and situation?

Right. Now.. that didn't cost us the game, but it cost us 2 points.  Parker Stewart's 4th foul was the ultimate lack of focus foul.  Wowza that was bad. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Hey, totally see your side.  To me, it hurried them up with a questionable extra step not called at center court.

I always play on the side the more aggressive team wins.  We could of taken it to the rim a few times and instead passed it up to setup the offensive.

My mind was like.....why not bring in fresh legs at somepoint in the ot with Jordan and others and get SU fatigue to make some mistakes.  

That's why you play power5 teams, especially on the road, early in the season so you can have an honest assessment on the team and what they can do or can't do YET.

1 minute ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Hey, totally see your side.  To me, it hurried them up with a questionable extra step not called at center court.

I always play on the side the more aggressive team wins.  We could of taken it to the rim a few times and instead passed it up to setup the offensive.

My mind was like.....why not bring in fresh legs at somepoint in the ot with Jordan and others and get SU fatigue to make some mistakes.  

That's why you play power5 teams, especially on the road, early in the season so you can have an honest assessment on the team and what they can do or can't do YET.

I mean.. if you want to full court pressure there, ok, it's going to have to be way more effective then that though or TJD going to live in foul trouble. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The more and more I watch the last play.. good God what are those two doing? 

I think these kids are use to everything be scripted and practiced 100 times before playing.  Woody os an NBA guy - get use to a drawn up play and process quickly and execute.  Not saying they don't practice plays.  Going off the press conference.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I mean.. if you want to full court pressure there, ok, it's going to have to be way more effective then that though or TJD going to live in foul trouble. 

For sure - there was broken down coverage.   It was more IU missing assignments then SU breaking it.  From my perspective 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It was evident the pace that our kids are being asked to play at, compared to last year, is a huge reason for the early season turnovers. Throw in SU's zone.. and there you go. I have zero negatives from last night. Keep growing. 

For the first time you can see hesitation in Bates, especially after the block at 3.  Thompson, warrior; however he panicked with the ball in the middle.  Made a ton of good plays, but he is doing more with the ball then ever before.  

Tale of 2 halfs. Still don't understand the less pressure at the perimeter a D the 1st half.  

Hopefully once they watch tape they can see all errors and style of play are correctable.  

Just now, Fiveoutofsix said:

For the first time you can see hesitation in Bates, especially after the block at 3.  Thompson, warrior; however he panicked with the ball in the middle.  Made a ton of good plays, but he is doing more with the ball then ever before.  

Tale of 2 halfs. Still don't understand the less pressure at the perimeter a D the 1st half.  

Hopefully once they watch tape they can see all errors and style of play are correctable.  

Was this worded how you wanted to word it? I cant figure out what you're trying to say here. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Last play of the game we're talking about? Lander slapped him straight across the arm when the best shot blocker in the country was coming to meet him at the rim.  

When Lander makes dumb plays.. they are DUMB. 

Lander also bodied him on that play. That's how he ended up on the ground. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Right. Now.. that didn't cost us the game, but it cost us 2 points.  Parker Stewart's 4th foul was the ultimate lack of focus foul.  Wowza that was bad. 

I disagree. You can say it was dumb, but I don't think he ever touched the guy and they let Syracause hack Race to cause the loose ball in the first place. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, it was really bad. Very curious if that was coach driven or just two overzealous freshmen not understanding time and situation?

I really think it was overzealous freshman not having situational awareness. We had just been pressuring to force turnovers because we were down and I think Bates thought he could make a play to win the game. 

38 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I disagree. You can say it was dumb, but I don't think he ever touched the guy and they let Syracause hack Race to cause the loose ball in the first place. 

Parker's foul was probably the stupidest foul all night, man. He's 90 ft from the basket... just go play defense. It's not whether it's a foul or not, it's whether it looked like a foul... that looked like a foul. Parker should know that by now. 

He was awesome, but that was a really bad play on his part, when we were up 2 in OT. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Lander also bodied him on that play. That's how he ended up on the ground. 

I don't think he touched him with his body. The replay shows him slapping his arm so hard he loses balance. He definitely didn't body him in the air. 

start the video at 30:10. No body. 

Edited by btownqb

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think he touched him with his body. The replay shows him slapping his arm so hard he loses balance. 

I just rewatched, I think you're right. If he got his body it was more grazing it as he went past. Still an easy foul call though. 

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I just rewatched, I think you're right. If he got his body it was more grazing it as he went past. Still an easy foul call though. 

Oh absolutely. Especially with the force Lander slapped him with lol ... the kids arm was probably beat red. Idk.. that played was just ... can't even describe it. Two FR in that situation isn't ideal, that's for sure. 

I think there is a lot more good to take from last night than bad. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Was this worded how you wanted to word it? I cant figure out what you're trying to say here. 

Ha!  That is what happens when you are walking with coffee in one hand, thinking about meetings all day and getting ready to get into a vehicle.

The first 20 minutes, the entire team didn't hound their guards.  I was surprised how they played off of them, in help.  Always pictured the defense getting more in passing lanes and not leaving much daylight between them and who they are guarding.

For the most part, the second 20 minutes they adjusted, had more intensity and made the 3 ball more difficult.  Some of this broke down with fatigue and the bench not being able to play with composure as they will in the future.  Got to run (me)...

• BGleas locked this topic