Turnovers

A lot of the TO’s had nothing to do with running, pressure or the zone. They were simply boneheaded plays. Stewart’s (great to see his shooting by the way) opening turnover to start the game, when he passed it right to a Cuse player, was laughably bad. Guys leave their feet, force passes when they don’t have a decent angle, throw at guys feet, etc etc. Woodys 12 to goal might be a pipe dream with these guys, against BT competition, but we really need to at least get it to 15 or under.

EDIT: After seeing a post below, that we ranked 266th last year with 11.9 TO’s per games, it’s obvious we need to be under 12 (10?) and not the 15 I referenced above. In any case having 2 games over 20 is unacceptable. D is getting better, perimeter shooting is getting better and I trust that Woody will help improve our TO problem.

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Just looked at the play by play and the backcourt turnover was given to Lander. That's crap. It was a terrible pass from Race. 

Guessing officially has to be credited to Lander because he picked the ball up in the backcourt resulting in the over and back call. If he let it go out of bounds or get picked up by Cuse, then the scorer could choose to credit it to Race or Lander.

Edited by cybergates

14 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

A lot of the TO’s had nothing to do with running, pressure or the zone. They were simply boneheaded plays. Stewart’s (great to see his shooting by the way) opening turnover to start the game, when he passed it right to a Cuse player, was laughably bad. Guys leave their feet, force passes when they don’t have a decent angle, throw at guys feet, etc etc. Woodys 12 to goal might be a pipe dream with these guys, against BT competition, but we really need to at least get it to 15 or under.

Woodys 12 to goal... whats this reference to, please? 

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Not next to 25!

Seriously, 12 would be pretty good.  You might want to temper your expectations there 

I meant to start running... like i say i give them 9 but anything over your running...id be fine with 12 per game... still making them run though

Edited by Dawg Bawls

Just now, Dawg Bawls said:

I meant to start running... like i say i give them 9 but anything over your running

Maybe.  I think Woody wants to encourage them to play looser than they did under Miller.  They were simply too cautious and timid and that mindset needs to change.  I like running over yanking them every time they make a mistake.

With what I've seen, I'm fine with Woody's number.

34 minutes ago, Dawg Bawls said:

Ok, Thank you, that still seems high though.

Agreed. For reference we averaged 11.9/game last year for 266th in the nation. My guess is since we averaged that last year he's allowing them to have that many before they run and if they have less than 12 they are working towards an improvement over last year.

• Like 2

I know it's an old school practice but I'm not sure that running is much of a deterrent to making turnovers during a game. The film study that is done probably does more good. I like what CMW is coming and as the guys get more comfortable with each other the turnovers will decrease. I can still see some indecisiveness on passes from time to time. Some guys, especially the newer ones, are doing more thinking than reacting. That, I believe, will improve over time as long as they stay engaged in the process.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Woodson got 12 or less from Knight. That was always Knight's goal. 

I was about to post the same.  Knight wanted 12 or less.  But it depends.  Knight understood that you don’t want your team being so cautious that you don’t make plays.  You could have four turnovers and score only 45 points because you’re not being assertive and paralyzed by fear.   You need to make plays too.  12 is a good number if it’s associated with playmaking.   12 could be a bad number if it’s not.  

Last night, we easily had double digit turnovers that were unforced or just asinine.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

I know it's an old school practice but I'm not sure that running is much of a deterrent to making turnovers during a game. The film study that is done probably does more good. I like what CMW is coming and as the guys get more comfortable with each other the turnovers will decrease. I can still see some indecisiveness on passes from time to time. Some guys, especially the newer ones, are doing more thinking than reacting. That, I believe, will improve over time as long as they stay engaged in the process.

Butt to bench I always thought made good teaching for taking care of the ball. That is not to say I want guys punished for missing shots or a missed assignment every time but dang we have a deep team. No reason we can't sit them down and make a point and then get them right back in.

• Like 2