Syracuse Post Mortem Thread

Reacher

this was a game to feel good about ultimately. crawling out of an 18 point hole from the absolute trash play in the first half to a 1 possession double OT loss is commendable. But this was the worst game of turnovers we have had in quite some time. They were almost intentional passes to Syracuse. If Race cleans up even a fraction of those terrible traitor-passes we win the game. I would also be fine never seeing Rob play again. We are just worse overall with him on the floor for large stretches of his time, and he is too slow to defend to a degree that's worth his offense. It doesn't help he looks completely content with life every time I see him sitting on the bench too.

That said, I liked a lot of what happened. I think hoosiers are still back

Edited by Bushmage
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He damn near had a quadruple double (with turnovers being the 4th stat)

Im not bagging on him, but regardless of what his stat line says, im not sure how anyone watches that game and says Race had a good game.  He cleaned things up as the game went on and was a big part of why we were in it at the end.

Just now, Bushmage said:

this was a game to feel good about ultimately. crawling out of an 18 point hole from the absolute trash play in the first half to a 1 possession double OT loss is commendable. But this was the worst game of turnovers we have had in quite some time. They were almost intentional passes to Syracuse. If Race cleans up even a fraction of those terrible traitor-passes we win the game.

On the road, during a hyped challenge and two programs with deep history going after each other.  Two of those kids wearing orange probably have heard about that final game years ago their entire life - ha!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ephul said:

You said, "you have to take the good with the bad".

No, you don't. If you take the bad (25 turnovers), you're going to be a mediocre team. Purdue doesn't turn the ball over. They play smart basketball. They play unselfish.

We can be really good. I have no doubt. We have the talent to beat anyone. But if we don't fix our biggest Achilles heel, we are going to struggle in some games we gotta win.

Why so down! Sure we made too many mistakes But we fought like heck after halftime. We are a new team with new leadership and hopefully we grow and get better every game! Some of the Banner hanging teams struggled and yet by the end of the year WON IT ALL! This team just needs to play together and get better as the year goes on.!

• Like 3

Disappointing but not the end of the world.

First half many of them looked lost. The moment was too big. What surprised me most was how easy it was for X, Parker and Race to loose focus. They've played too many games to panic like they did and both X and Parker let their emotions get the best of them. Cant happen.

Second half they came to play and Cuse cooled off. Still, too many key moments where they couldn't execute. Hopefully they learn and grow from this.

They need to figure out how to use Geronimo and hopefully get more from Durr. Maybe Trey can bring something when he returns. I was glad to see the pressure Rob put on them in the second half.

One thing that stood out on that last play - once their guard was about to get trapped he gave up the ball but kept running. He got it back and Lander was chasing and picked up the foul. Just a smart play by their guy to continue playing and not relax.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I do not disagree. But its the first road test for this group in a really tough environment new coach, new players, new system, on the road.

I think we will steadily see improvement.

We will see. We certainly have the pieces. Point guard has got to improve. Johnson has got to slow down a bit and sacrifice some flash for some ball security.

Parker Stewart impresses me a lot. Just a steady presence out there

• Like 2

Just now, ephul said:

We will see. We certainly have the pieces. Point guard has got to improve. Johnson has got to slow down a bit and sacrifice some flash for some ball security.

Parker Stewart impresses me a lot. Just a steady presence out there

Stewart's confidence grew as the game went on.  First half he looked a step slow, second half he was all over on both ends of the floor.  If he can play with the same instinct, this team can take it to another level.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I'm not sure if it just me getting older but i am really starting to dislike sports commentators anymore. The guys doing this game, Stephen Bardo,Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Bill Walton and the list goes on are guys i would just like to release a bunch of fire ants in the booth on lol.

Anymore, i usually watch with sound turned off.  I like it better that way. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ephul said:

No, you don't. If you take the bad (25 turnovers), you're going to be a mediocre team. Purdue doesn't turn the ball over. They play smart basketball. They play unselfish.

We can be really good. I have no doubt. We have the talent to beat anyone. But if we don't fix our biggest Achilles heel, we are going to struggle in some games we gotta win.

I think we are on the same page, but you’re missing my point. We are an unranked team. A lot of people, besides us IU fans, do not hold us in high regards. With that, you will have an Achilles heel (turnovers for us). If we didn’t have an Achilles heel (turnovers) we would be ranked. Probably top 10. 

comparing the number 2 team and IU is moot. There is a reason they are number 2 and we remain unranked. Unranked teams tend to have more flaws. 

IU won the battle, but lost the war…

IU was the better team despite giving up 25 turnovers and two impact starters fouling out. IU broke Syracuse’s defense in the second half and scored at will, inside and out, but handed them the game with turnovers and fouls. This team is miles and miles ahead of the past several years with exception to the turnovers…I’m very proud, encouraged and excited!

Go IU!

• Like 7

Always like the win but November hoops is November. This group of kids showed me plenty to know we have something here. Not just now...but years to come with several guys contributing. 

To me it's simple. 25 turnovers. We have 23 we win. Correctable stuff and an awesome college hoops game to watch. Good thing is it's over by 10 on the EST...not midnight. 

Good times coming gang. Can feel the players knowing they gave one instead of maybe thinking they gave one away while hoping. Big difference.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, ephul said:

I don’t think this team plays selfish at all. We try to make too difficult of passes sometimes, but they aren’t doing it out of selfishness. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

this was a game to feel good about ultimately. crawling out of an 18 point hole from the absolute trash play in the first half to a 1 possession double OT loss is commendable. But this was the worst game of turnovers we have had in quite some time. They were almost intentional passes to Syracuse. If Race cleans up even a fraction of those terrible traitor-passes we win the game. I would also be fine never seeing Rob play again. We are just worse overall with him on the floor for large stretches of his time, and he is too slow to defend to a degree that's worth his offense. It doesn't help he looks completely content with life every time I see him sitting on the bench too.

I actually thought Rob played really well. His defense in the second half really set the tone and he did a good job of steadying the turnovers. The game changed when he got two weak fouls. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t think this team plays selfish at all. We try to make too difficult of passes sometimes, but they aren’t doing it out of selfishness. 

I didn't say they were. Just stating how Purdue plays.

We try to do too much. Simple as that

6 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I think we are on the same page, but you’re missing my point. We are an unranked team. A lot of people, besides us IU fans, do not hold us in high regards. With that, you will have an Achilles heel (turnovers for us). If we didn’t have an Achilles heel (turnovers) we would be ranked. Probably top 10. 

comparing the number 2 team and IU is moot. There is a reason they are number 2 and we remain unranked. Unranked teams tend to have more flaws. 

Rankings and how people view us is irrelevant. The number 2 team is really good because they minimize mistakes. If we also minimize mistakes, we can be really good.

But we are turning the ball over a lot against teams that just aren't that good. Syracuse's zone is "different" but 25 turnovers is just abysmal.