Syracuse Post Mortem Thread

Reacher

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think it’s got to be situational. They both had some really good moments at their strengths tonight. 

I would probably agree with this but it seems like situationally Rob loses a lot of those minutes to the majority of situations. He just can't score. Its actually unbelievable to me that Lander is passing him in offensive capability after the all time horrendous season Lander had last year.

I do see an effort from Rob for the 50/50 balls and generally giving a good effort though. I think he's just limited by his own skill. Again, he's not going anywhere so hopefully he can improve and I'd be happy to be wrong about him.

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I’m struggling to see how some of you are getting on Race but not Trayce? Is one turnover really that different?

They both turned it over way too much but we don’t get to that point without both of them. 

Personally, Race’s turnovers stick out more in my head than Trayce’s do. Actually I thought Race would’ve had several more turnovers strictly based off what I remember watching. Regardless, both of them have to do a better job of just holding onto the ball. There were probably 4-5 times where they literally just let the ball slip through their hands. Can’t have that

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

One shot by Lander solidifies that for you? He was poor at everything else. Didn’t get a shot at the end of the 1st OT bc of him and lost at the end of the second OT bc of an idiotic foul. Not even mentioning the ball that went through his hands. 

Seemed to me that on the last play of the 1st OT, TJD was supposed to set a high ball screen and never really did, throwing the entire play off. 

• Like 2

What a college basketball game.  I don't like losing but this is one of the very few times after a loss that I am not real upset.  One other game was 93-94 game at KU where we lost in 2ot and KU hit a last second shot.  Maybe I am just at a stage in my life that I am not going to let losses like this ruin my day like it use to.  I just  proud of this team and the fight they showed to come back.  They got knocked down and was early but they got up and landed some punches back.

There is a lot to take a at from this game to be encouraged about.  Kopp and Stewart stepped up their game and hit their 3's.  TJD was his usual self and had another great game.  I would hope we don't see Rac and Trace combine for 13 turnovers in another game.

We shot 55 percent overall and 40 from 3 and 73 from the line.  We will take that anyway.  It is obvious the difference to ight was the turnovers and that had to be corrected.  The thing is that cleaning up turnovers is something that can be changed.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 6

A lot of the turnovers are just sloppy passes...one handed or not enough on them...

If I were Woody, I'd tell XJ one more one handed pass and you'll be sitting next to me for a long time...

I did like how both Stewart and Kopp pass faked and used that to get a clean feed into the high post...

5 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Looking at stats - only two categories IU was worse in.  Turnovers and Free Throws. 

Clean those up and different game.  Got to think now the TO piece is going to be even more of an emphasis.  

But also, lander hit 1 and intentionally missed the second and TJD made 2 to send us to overtime. 

yes. Obviously, the argument I was making to another poster, there are issues to fix. BUT there are a lot of positives to take away from this. 

• Like 1

Honestly the way Syracuse shot the ball, previous teams would have had the deer in headlights situation and folded. This squad fought.

With the way IU played the first half, they needed to lose. I mean really. You can’t go on the road and play careless for the first 20 minutes and expect to win. The lazy effort started before this game.

Additionally, I’m so sick of these short stack, striped Oompa Loompa refs not being able to see above the knee caps. 

• Like 5

Disappointing loss because of the poor start and turnovers, but the upside was we showed a toughness  that we haven’t had in several years. We haven’t shot 41% from 3 in a big game since Yogi and Jordy ran the show. We cut the turnovers in half and we win the game by 15+. Kopp and Parker are settling in nicely, and if they continue to play like they did tonight we’ll be tough to beat. A loss is a loss, but I’m confident Woody will use this as a learning experience and motivation for future wins. Fully expect wins against Nebraska and Wisconsin.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bronkonagurski said:

That was an exhausting game to watch. I got super emotionally invested in our comeback and thought for sure we were going to pull it off multiple times. Feeling invested >>> apathy.

THAT is a great point…..

I was excited and can’t wait for the upcoming games. Archie had put me into an IU basketball apathetic stupor that I had never encountered before. It’s GREAT to be alive again. So much to clean up (giving a team over 30 points off To’s…WTF) but I’m confident in the trajectory.

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Seemed to me that on the last play of the 1st OT, TJD was supposed to set a high ball screen and never really did, throwing the entire play off. 

Yeah, I don’t know… looked like there was a lot of indecision on KL’s part, but you could be right. Props to the kid either way for being ready when called upon, since as others said, after sitting for the majority of the game. He HAS to be smarter than that on the last foul though. Unacceptable. 

Edited by kyhoosier29

A lot of people are going to be running lots of laps this week in Bloomington.

This team is a riddle wrapped in an enigma!

IU has great defense.  No, get torched by the Cuse.

IU can't shoot the three.  No, they go 19-42 for 45% over last 2 games.

This team weak on offense.  No, they get 90 and 88 in regulation in last 2 games.

This team has TOs under control.  No, 26 TO's v. the Cuse.

Arrrggghhh!

Saturday the Cornhuskers at home.  What kind of team do we have?

29 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I mentioned it in another comment, but it deserves its own comment. I hope some of you see the benefit of Marshall. We don’t get to OT if Trayce doesn’t have the amount of strength he does to just bully Syracuse for the last rebound. That’s why you want strong basketball players. 

I feel like with his improved strength, he’s more explosive.  He has a tremendous burst.  Great player.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, slojoe said:

A lot of people are going to be running lots of laps this week in Bloomington.

This team is a riddle wrapped in an enigma!

IU has great defense.  No, get torched by the Cuse.

IU can't shoot the three.  No, they go 19-42 for 45% over last 2 games.

This team weak on offense.  No, they get 90 and 88 in regulation in last 2 games.

This team has TOs under control.  No, 26 TO's v. the Cuse.

Arrrggghhh!

Saturday the Cornhuskers at home.  What kind of team do we have?

I say we pound Nebraska. 

• Like 1