Syracuse Post Mortem Thread

Reacher

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I don't watch recorded games we lose, so I can't speak to how bad the turnovers were, but 25 on the road is a recipe for disaster.  Surprised we were as close as we were.

Pulled into the driveway at the end of the first OT.  Fisch was so frustrated we did not get a shot off.  That possession and Parker fouling out were the two biggest plays that I heard/saw that contributed to the loss.

Picture Race turning around and handing the ball to the other team. He looked panicked at times. It comes down to the saying, play fast but not hurried. XJ is the worst with being in a hurry forcing things. TJD needs to stop with the 1 handed pass out of the post. Instead of running, CMW needs to use that time on passing drills.

• Like 1

Everyone is talking about the turnovers, and rightfully so, but if we don't give up 49 points in the first half, we may win the game anyway. I thought the defense was the worst part of the first half and this is where I was really frustrated. Race gave us everything he had, but I thought he showed me that he can't play perimeter defense. I think we have to get Jordan to the point where he can come in and try to lock down the 4 that plays outside.

• Like 1

We just need to value the ball better and we're a top 10 team. The first half killed us but we have a coach that's been in the NBA for 40 years and hasn't since a zone defense since. The first half was honestly expected. Great to see Woody make adjustments at half which Crean or Archie never did. Other than going to Cameron Indoor I thought playing at Cuse was the worst possible match up we could've drawn.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, madmax said:

Hell of a comeback. Wasn’t pretty but the team showed a ton of grit. Love to see it. Now let’s take it out on Nebraska on Saturday.

These might have been the WORST announcers I have ever heard cover a basketball game. Completely emotionless and boring. Not to mention obviously Syracuse fans.

At first I was like, these guys seem biased towards Syracuse. And then it was like “WTF are these guys doing calling a game.”

Love the fight and never give up attitude, but cut down on the turnovers and we wouldn’t have to fight so damn hard. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

At first I was like, these guys seem biased towards Syracuse. And then it was like “WTF are these guys doing calling a game.”

Love the fight and never give up attitude, but cut down on the turnovers and we wouldn’t have to fight so damn hard. 

I listened to the radio call while watching. Just by watching them constantly show the Boeheim's and how seemingly all the replays had a slant towards Syracuse, I felt like I was watching a Syracuse network stream. Considering all the comments in the game thread, I bet 90% of the production staff were Syracuse grads. 

If anyone is interested on how I do this, I stream the game from my Roku on either the ESPN or Fox Sports App (if on B1G Network) then stream the radio call on The Varsity Network app on my phone. I then connect my phone's bluetooth to my sound bar. The radio call is still a few seconds ahead, but you can forward and reverse at anytime. I can get is synced up within the first minute of the game. You also get the full radio call including the pregame and postgame interviews. You can get all the previous games too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GoshenFan84 said:

I listened to the radio call while watching. Just by watching them constantly show the Boeheim's and how seemingly all the replays had a slant towards Syracuse, I felt like I was watching a Syracuse network stream. Considering all the comments in the game thread, I bet 90% of the production staff were Syracuse grads. 

If anyone is interested on how I do this, I stream the game from my Roku on either the ESPN or Fox Sports App (if on B1G Network) then stream the radio call on The Varsity Network app on my phone. I then connect my phone's bluetooth to my sound bar. The radio call is still a few seconds ahead, but you can forward and reverse at anytime. I can get is synced up within the first minute of the game. You also get the full radio call including the pregame and postgame interviews. You can get all the previous games too. 

Did Fish and Suhr gripe much about the officiating? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Fish outwardly asked what is this, what foul are they calling....couple you have to be kidding me,etc...Suhr was the same way but tried to balance things a tad. 

Jamie Luckie was the one they really had a problem with. Also I guess 2 of the refs live 15 minutes from Syracuse?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, GoshenFan84 said:

I do something similar for audio (Fisch) and video.  Since I stream the games I use hulu or fox sports for b10 games.  A lot of times the delay will change after commercials, making it necessary to re-sync the two.  The issue never seems to occur on espn or broadcast network games.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

D004BE3C-C8B6-47C1-9099-13CA10A9AA49.thumb.jpeg.9671d5b1efe3fbe3fd100f40ec127d0c.jpeg

Like I said earlier…. We won the battle but lost the war……

Yeah and I am not feeling as rosey about this because of that.  We should have won this game...by double digits.  That is not a good Syracuse team.  They got rolled on their own court by Colgate.  We have a good enough group of players this year that I just cannot label this any type of moral victory.  We shot over 50%.  I believe coach wants less than 15 turnovers.  We do that and we have 11 more possessions where we get off a shot.  That should have meant an extra 10 to 15 points the way we were shooting.

This was a moral loss IMO because we beat ourselves.  We outplayed them in every statistical category but we had 26 empty trips and most of those were just carelessness.  Yeah we played hard and everything and shooting was good.  When you shoot and rebound like that you have got to win.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There were several times in the second half where Suhr would incredulously say, "You've got to be kidding me". For example, towards the end when Race fouled out on the perimeter but got hit in the head by the Cuse player swinging his arm back, Suhr matter-of-factly said, "they'll review it and it could be a flagarant 1". But not only did they not review it, ESPN didn't even show a replay. 

I thought the ESPN broadcast was awful and it's sad to see how far that network has fallen over the past 20 years. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yeah and I am not feeling as rosey about this because of that.  We should have won this game...by double digits.  That is not a good Syracuse team.  They got rolled on their own court by Colgate.  We have a good enough group of players this year that I just cannot label this any type of moral victory.  We shot over 50%.  I believe coach wants less than 15 turnovers.  We do that and we have 11 more possessions where we get off a shot.  That should have meant an extra 10 to 15 points the way we were shooting.

This was a moral loss IMO because we beat ourselves.  We outplayed them in every statistical category but we had 26 empty trips and most of those were just carelessness.  Yeah we played hard and everything and shooting was good.  When you shoot and rebound like that you have got to win.

You gonna give any credit to Syracuse?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

You gonna give any credit to Syracuse?

Not really.  They took advantage of our turnovers I guess but so many of them were unforced errors.  It wasn't like Syracuse was just befuddling us, we just flat threw the ball away.

Look, there is still stuff to work with within this game.  We statistically beat them in every category but one...and I don't give them credit for at least half of our mistakes in that one category.  Like I said above, cut those turnovers to 15 and we win by double digits.  I can get into "moral" victories in some cases but this was not it.  We have good players.  We are a better team than Syracuse.  We should have won that game...but we lost it because we had 26 trips where we did not get a shot up and in the flow of the game, I think that at least half of those was more because of what we did not do as opposed to what they did.

I think it is a good thing to view a loss like this as a disappointment.  Last year it would not have been.  This year it is because we are better.  We should expect more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Not really.  They took advantage of our turnovers I guess but so many of them were unforced errors.  It wasn't like Syracuse was just befuddling us, we just flat threw the ball away.

Look, there is still stuff to work with within this game.  We statistically beat them in every category but one...and I don't give them credit for at least half of our mistakes in that one category.  Like I said above, cut those turnovers to 15 and we win by double digits.  I can get into "moral" victories in some cases but this was not it.  We have good players.  We are a better team than Syracuse.  We should have won that game...but we lost it because we had 26 trips where we did not get a shot up and in the flow of the game, I think that at least half of those was more because of what we did not do as opposed to what they did.

I think it is a good thing to view a loss like this as a disappointment.  Last year it would not have been.  This year it is because we are better.  We should expect more.

Fair enough.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MSHoosier said:

Everyone is talking about the turnovers, and rightfully so, but if we don't give up 49 points in the first half, we may win the game anyway. I thought the defense was the worst part of the first half and this is where I was really frustrated. Race gave us everything he had, but I thought he showed me that he can't play perimeter defense. I think we have to get Jordan to the point where he can come in and try to lock down the 4 that plays outside.

Go look at points off turnovers in the first half. Your head might explode. They dont score 49 without the turnovers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I agree, but new coach, new team, I’m willing to be optimistic at this point. If it happens again next Wed at Wiscy I won’t be as optimistic. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Disappointing loss because of the poor start and turnovers, but the upside was we showed a toughness  that we haven’t had in several years. We haven’t shot 41% from 3 in a big game since Yogi and Jordy ran the show. We cut the turnovers in half and we win the game by 15+. Kopp and Parker are settling in nicely, and if they continue to play like they did tonight we’ll be tough to beat. A loss is a loss, but I’m confident Woody will use this as a learning experience and motivation for future wins. Fully expect wins against Nebraska and Wisconsin.

If the experience of losing at Syracuse prepares us for a win at WI, it will have been worth it.

• Like 5