Syracuse Post Mortem Thread

Reacher

42 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Not really.  They took advantage of our turnovers I guess but so many of them were unforced errors.  It wasn't like Syracuse was just befuddling us, we just flat threw the ball away.

Look, there is still stuff to work with within this game.  We statistically beat them in every category but one...and I don't give them credit for at least half of our mistakes in that one category.  Like I said above, cut those turnovers to 15 and we win by double digits.  I can get into "moral" victories in some cases but this was not it.  We have good players.  We are a better team than Syracuse.  We should have won that game...but we lost it because we had 26 trips where we did not get a shot up and in the flow of the game, I think that at least half of those was more because of what we did not do as opposed to what they did.

I think it is a good thing to view a loss like this as a disappointment.  Last year it would not have been.  This year it is because we are better.  We should expect more.

While I understand and agree with most of what your saying, using the Colgate loss to prop up the "Syracuse is not a very good team" argument isn't a good one...Kansas lost to Dayton...do you think the Flyers are a better team than the Jayhawks? Does that make Kansas not very good?

Syracuse made the Sweet 16 last year and have some pretty fair players in the Boeheim brothers, the Girard kid, and Cole Swider...judging them strictly off of the Colgate game doesn't make sense to me

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I agree, but new coach, new team, I’m willing to be optimistic at this point. If it happens again next Wed at Wiscy I won’t be as optimistic. 

I am not saying to not he optimistic.  We have good players on this team.  We have the potential to be a good team.  This is not a championship team but we can be pretty good.  I am still optimistic.  I just think last night was a bad loss...and I think that because of everything else I stated.

The sky is not falling.  We got the message at the half and did better from there.  We just need these guys to realize that, while good, they are not good enough to overcome the unforced mistakes.  There are not many teams in the country that can overcome 26 turnovers if they are playing a team with a pulse.  Syracuse has a pulse, so our better (IMO) team lost because of the thing that Woody and the staff have been harping about over the preceding 6 games.  You guys have a chance to do something (get to the tournament, win a game or 2), don't squander that chance with unforced, boneheaded play.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

While I understand and agree with most of what your saying, using the Colgate loss to prop up the "Syracuse is not a very good team" argument isn't a good one...Kansas lost to Dayton...do you think the Flyers are a better team than the Jayhawks? Does that make Kansas not very good?

Syracuse made the Sweet 16 last year and have some pretty fair players in the Boeheim brothers, the Girard kid, and Cole Swider...judging them strictly off of the Colgate game doesn't make sense to me

I base it on last night too.  Just moderately taking care of the ball and we are a double digit winner on their floor.  If I felt it was them causing the turnovers, that would be one thing.  On too many occasions it was not though.  It was just stupid play on our part.

I guess we will see as the year goes on, but they struck me as an 8 or 9th place finisher in the BIG type of team.

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

I base it on last night too.  Just moderately taking care of the ball and we are a double digit winner on their floor.  If I felt it was them causing the turnovers, that would be one thing.  On too many occasions it was not though.  It was just stupid play on our part.

I guess we will see as the year goes on, but they struck me as an 8 or 9th place finisher in the BIG type of team.

They're picked 7th in the ACC (they finished 8th last year)...

I thought Trayce's post game comments were very insightful..."at first we were doing our own thing, then we started listening to the coaches."

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We absolutely have to take better care of the ball, but half of our turnovers came from our two best players. A lot of guys really stepped up last night. 

And if they called fouls when TJD and Race had the ball the way they did when our guards were guarding the ball we win by double digits despite the unforced turnovers we did have. 

EDIT: I can think of two turnovers that were 8 point swings that were awful officiating. Rob got fouled on a fast break with no call and turned it over, Cuse scored. X got tripped at midcourt with no call for an easy layup. They didn't miss those when Syracuse had the ball. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

That's the right attitude from the team leader! One glaring statistic that we have needed for years is 3 pt. shooting and legit players who we can count on hitting 3's. When we can get guys open and consistently hitting 3's that spreads the opposing defenses and opens up the middle where our bigs can feast! 

Through 7 games,  Stewart has made - 18 3's

Kopp has made - 10 3's

Bates has made  - 6 3's

Johnson has made - 5 3's

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Indykev said:

Jury is still out for me. We just lost to a bad SU team shooting 55 percent. Did SU play their best game? IDK. Time will tell.

I think it's safe to say they played much better than average.  Be nice to get a few teams' average game for once.  Feels like INDIANA on a jersey is like waving a red cape in front of a bull.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think it's safe to say they played much better than average.  Be nice to get a few teams' average game for once.  Feels like INDIANA on a jersey is like waving a red cape in front of a bull.

Especially against a team where two of their best players grew up knowing all about '87. Can't convince me that we were not circled on those boys schedules the day it came out. 

• Like 3

Turnovers killed us.  Syracuse owns Indiana.  The good news, this team has no quit, Woodson actually makes adjustments (whether the players execute or not...) and TJD may be the best player in the country.  The guard play has got to step it up, the frontcourt (TJD, Race & Kopp) is really good.  Also, Lander is better than Phinisee imo.

Edited by ThePaulieWalnuts

3 hours ago, GoshenFan84 said:

I listened to the radio call while watching. Just by watching them constantly show the Boeheim's and how seemingly all the replays had a slant towards Syracuse, I felt like I was watching a Syracuse network stream. Considering all the comments in the game thread, I bet 90% of the production staff were Syracuse grads. 

If anyone is interested on how I do this, I stream the game from my Roku on either the ESPN or Fox Sports App (if on B1G Network) then stream the radio call on The Varsity Network app on my phone. I then connect my phone's bluetooth to my sound bar. The radio call is still a few seconds ahead, but you can forward and reverse at anytime. I can get is synced up within the first minute of the game. You also get the full radio call including the pregame and postgame interviews. You can get all the previous games too. 

It was all Syracuse since two of the officials is from the Syracuse area.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

TJD may be the best player in the country.

He has been fantastic so far no doubt, but im not sure id go that far yet. His FT shooting is greatly improved but he is still kind of a 1 trick pony....and its a GREAT trick dont get me wrong. He has taken more jump shots so far this year than he has in his entire career at IU but until he can at least be a threat in the mid range im not sure he can wear that crown.

And no I dont have a list of people better than TJD.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If I'm remembering this correctly...

• We were down 11 with under 4 minutes, and 6 with under 30 seconds and sent the game to OT
  • We were down 2 with under a minute in OT and had a chance to win on the last possession.
  • We were down 4 with under 30 seconds in double OT and tied the game.

I'm disappointed we lost, but that is the most telling takeaway about this team from last night IMO.

I think anything that I would have added has already been said. I  really like this post and it shows a new toughness from our team and staff. They did not fold. Next step is learning how to finish it with a W. Its a process and we are learning still and I think this team has potential to be very very good by tournament time. 

• Like 2

A couple of other things...

The game looked a little big for Tamar...But, he's a freshman, and it was his first college game in a hostile environment...But we were -14 while he was out there...

On the other hand, I think it's very encouraging that two of our new players, Stewart and Kopp, played so well in front of a big crowd and away from home...Experience wins in the Big 10...

Geronimo is a puzzler right now...I've never thought he had the softest hands, but he looks down right Justin Smith at this point as far as grabbing a pass or a rebound goes...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

We missed Johnson obviously in key moments. I really believe that more minutes can bring Lander along. All turnovers aren't created equal. Rave had a couple that were back breakers and the one that Lander let go through his hands into the back court was rough. 

However, I think this loss will serve us well. We never quit trying to compete and I think we can learn to put teams away now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

If I'm remembering this correctly...

• We were down 11 with under 4 minutes, and 6 with under 30 seconds and sent the game to OT
  • We were down 2 with under a minute in OT and had a chance to win on the last possession.
  • We were down 4 with under 30 seconds in double OT and tied the game.

I'm disappointed we lost, but that is the most telling takeaway about this team from last night IMO.

That is the biggest positive I see in this loss. The team didn't give up and kept battling. They didn't let the large 1st half deficit break them as it has so often the past few years. Adjustments were made at half time and they came back. 

I can't remember the last time IU was able to fight back from being down by so much. They couldn't complete the comeback and win in this instance but it is a positive that they had the chance to do so. I'm sure it's happened since then but the last time I remember is the '02 tournament game against Duke, but that was a memorable game for quite a few reasons.

• Like 1