Syracuse Post Mortem Thread

Reacher

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

The ACC is used to the zone.  Woody is not.  He's been in the NBA for 40 years and while he's probably an excellent coach he surely believes you play everyone the same which is very naive.  It was a very important learning experience for him and the team.   At the Kohl Center likely will be as well. 

College basketball is vastly different than the NBA.  It's why guys like Tyrone Lue and Quinn Snyder can be successful in the league but would be epic failures at the college level. 

Not sure about this.  I didn't see Rayce and Trayce on the perimeter last night.  Out of the last 70 some points Trayce has scored ...how many of them are from the wing position?

They broke the zone, scored against it.  There wasn't anything that didn't work.  Silly turnovers from playing scared in 1st half.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

You know that’s the first real road game in 20 months? 

Yeah.  We would be better off scheduling an early road game against somebody like Fort Wayne and get one under our belt before the ACC challenge.  :coffee: 

Edited by 5fouls
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

They posted a stat at one point in the second half (I think) and it showed Cuse had 31 points off of turnovers compared to our 11. Syracuse didn't expose our defense, we did by not protecting the ball.

I mean this as a serious question because I don't know. Does points off turnovers include every time they scored after getting a turnover? So, even if they get a strip under their own basket and walk it up and get into their offense and score, is it still considered points off a turnover?

6 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

I mean this as a serious question because I don't know. Does points off turnovers include every time they scored after getting a turnover? So, even if they get a strip under their own basket and walk it up and get into their offense and score, is it still considered points off a turnover?

In a word, yes... 

"Points Off Turnovers
When a team commits a turnover, the scoring crew records the turnover. On the following opponent possession, if the opponent scores, the scoring system credits that opponent with a point off a turnover.

Points off turnovers might be a misleading statistic if you don’t account for the tempo. Turnovers per possessions would sure be a better metric if you want to quantify the cost of turnover."

• Like 1

I really wanted CMW to get T'd up for getting in the ref's ass for how badly the game was being called.  This isn't the NBA, you can't let the refs just get into and stay in the momentum of the environment.  You need to occasionally get fired up and let them know you're not going to take it and they are wrong.  There are good Technical fouls by a coach.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I really wanted CMW to get T'd up for getting in the ref's ass for how badly the game was being called.  This isn't the NBA, you can't let the refs just get into and stay in the momentum of the environment.  You need to occasionally get fired up and let them know you're not going to take it and they are wrong.  There are good Technical fouls by a coach.

While I agree with the sentiment, I can't really think of a point in that game where it wouldn't have caused things to further unravel. I also don't think Woody is shy about telling the refs how he feels. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Oh, I'm sure it will eventually come to that point. In due time.

He definitely gets into the faces of the players when he's not happy. I definitely enjoy watching that when the camera zooms in. 🧐

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 3

On 12/1/2021 at 8:27 AM, Reacher said:

Xavier did have 9 assists.

Hey, @Reacher I did go back and look...7 of those were passes to open shooters who made jumpers (6 of those were 3 pointers by either Stewart or Kopp) and I know that's within the definition of an assist, so kudos to XJ for finding the open man...

2 were for TJD dunks...

Edited by IUFLA

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

While I agree with the sentiment, I can't really think of a point in that game where it wouldn't have caused things to further unravel. I also don't think Woody is shy about telling the refs how he feels. 

When Rob got tackled at mid court and no foul was called.  That was when he should have lost his shit

• Like 2

I went back and watched the game again...My version of "Big 10 Basketball in 60" (which actually takes about 40)...

The very first foul on TJD was bogus...He caught it in the right corner, turned to his right, his shoulder knocking his defender back just a bit...Foul...

Later in the game, down the stretch when Syracuse was isolating Buddy B every play, he did the exact same thing and it was never called...

If the Big 10 calls bumping people off with your shoulder a foul a lot this year, Kofi Cockburn won't last 2 minutes in a game...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I went back and watched the game again...My version of "Big 10 Basketball in 60" (which actually takes about 40)...

The very first foul on TJD was bogus...He caught it in the right corner, turned to his right, his shoulder knocking his defender back just a bit...Foul...

Later in the game, down the stretch when Syracuse was isolating Buddy B every play, he did the exact same thing and it was never called...

If the Big 10 calls bumping people off with your shoulder a foul a lot this year, Kofi Cockburn won't last 2 minutes in a game...

The last 5 years or so they stopped calling the guard with the ball pushing off with their forearm to gain space and it pisses me off every time i see it

• Like 3