Syracuse Post Mortem Thread

Reacher

Very disappointed in the first half. A decent first half and this game wouldn’t have been in question. With that said, I was very proud of the fight in the second half. They showed me that we would compete with most anybody if we take care of the ball. 25 turnovers is pathetic and unacceptable. If we can clean those up and find some defense we’ll be really tough. Looking forward to seeing how we respond at Wiscy next week. I know we have Neb first, but that shouldn’t be a question. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I actually thought Rob played really well. His defense in the second half really set the tone and he did a good job of steadying the turnovers. The game changed when he got two weak fouls. 

I think its fair to be less harsh on him than people have been in the past, but Lander hitting that 3 at the end solidified in my mind we have seen the best of Rob and Lander should get his minutes. His defense was alright but he had some pretty horrible fouls, he's just not fast enough to keep up with solid guards and can't handle any mismatch.

1 minute ago, ephul said:

Rankings and how people view us is irrelevant. The number 2 team is really good because they minimize mistakes. If we also minimize mistakes, we can be really good.

But we are turning the ball over a lot against teams that just aren't that good. Syracuse's zone is "different" but 25 turnovers is just abysmal.

And a lot of them were unforced. I’d actually say probably 15-20 were either unforced or because of blown calls.  I didn’t feel like their zone actually did much to slow us down at all. 

• Like 4

Just now, Bushmage said:

I think its fair to be less harsh on him than people have been in the past, but Lander hitting that 3 at the end solidified in my mind we have seen the best of Rob and Lander should get his minutes. His defense was alright but he had some pretty horrible fouls, he's just not fast enough to keep up with solid guards and can't handle any mismatch.

If the refs called fouls on Syracuse collapsing the zone the way they did on our guards we’d have won by 20. I am not too worried about any of the fouls we saw from our guards tonight. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bushmage said:

One shot by Lander solidifies that for you? He was poor at everything else. Didn’t get a shot at the end of the 1st OT bc of him and lost at the end of the second OT bc of an idiotic foul. Not even mentioning the ball that went through his hands. 

Just now, kyhoosier29 said:

One shot by Lander solidifies that for you? He was poor at everything else. Didn’t get a shot at the end of the 1st OT bc of him and lost at the end of the second OT bc of an idiotic foul. Not even mentioning the ball that went through his hands. 

He also executed perfectly at the end of regulation and made a GREAT pass to Race in the first OT to tie it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

God, who gives a rat’s ass what Purdue does.

The day that IU lowers itself to the point that the Smellermakers are the standard is the day they can lower me into my grave.

@ephulgive it up. 

Haha you're a buffoon.

Have you been around the last decade or so? What standard have we been playing at?

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think they both had good moments and bad moments. Lander made huge plays to help us tie it late twice. 

He hit that big 3 at the end, but which other are you speaking of? I thought he was pretty poor.

@KoB2011 never mind. You answered it while I was asking.

Edited by kyhoosier29

5 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

yeah lander did screw up the play out of timeout and missed a pass from Race even if it was a bit high. But it's not fair to omit that Lander hit a HUGE free throw when it mattered, and even more importantly performed a perfect miss for TJD to get the offensive rebound and draw the foul to get us into OT. It really wasn't just one shot by Lander that solidifies anything for me. He had several good plays tonight and has had a series of great games prior to this.

I'm just kinda done with Rob. A senior guard scores 2 points and fouls out of the game. The offense is just generally worse when he's on the floor, and that was outside of only tonight. He was really not much better than Lander and hasn't had a great game yet this year. Let the young kid get the minutes moving on. Our lineups do well with Lander.

Edited by Bushmage
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One shot by Lander solidifies that for you? He was poor at everything else. Didn’t get a shot at the end of the 1st OT bc of him and lost at the end of the second OT bc of an idiotic foul. Not even mentioning the ball that went through his

Woodson said that play wasn't on Lander.  It was everyone else.  Same play they ran to get Miller that open 3.  Team didn't execute.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

He hit that big 3 at the end, but which other are you speaking of? I thought he was pretty poor.

In regulation he hit the first free throw and missed the second in a way we could get the rebound. We’ve all seen guys blow that big time. 

Edit: And the pass to Race to tie it. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I actually thought Rob played really well. His defense in the second half really set the tone and he did a good job of steadying the turnovers. The game changed when he got two weak fouls. 

I totally agree… Rob came in and really helped the team when they needed him. All this talk about “not caring to ever see Rob on the floor again” is total bulls**t!!! The kid knows his role and is just trying build back confidence, strength and how to help this team…. Some of these negative posts about Rob are just ridiculous!!

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

yeah lander did screw up the play out of timeout and missed a pass from Race even if it was a bit high. But I'm just kinda done with Rob. A senior guard scores 2 points and fouls out of the game. He was really not much better than Lander tonight and hasn't had a great game yet this year.

Understand, but I thought Rob was phenomenal for us on D in the second half setting the tempo and really ran the floor as the PG helping us get back in the game. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 4

Understand, but I thought Rob was phenomenal for us on D in the second half setting the temp and really ran the floor as the PG helping us get back in the game. 

Yep. I think you still have a point. We're obviously still going to play Rob and I don't think thats some grave mistake either. But the fact is we are a very good defensive team as a whole and Rob's only strength being good defense is not enough for me to think he should have that backup PG spot. Let's hope Lander can keep continuing to prove himself and see what happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Understand, but I thought Rob was phenomenal for us on D in the second half setting the temp and really ran the floor as the PG helping us get back in the game. 

He definitely did. This was Rob’s best game this season IMO. 

I just also was really encouraged by some of the plays Lander made, too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bushmage said:

Yep. I think you still have a point. We're obviously still going to play Rob and I don't think thats some grave mistake either. But the fact is we are a very good defensive team as a whole and Rob's only strength being good defense is not enough for me to think he should have that backup PG spot. Let's hope Lander can keep continuing to prove himself and see what happens.

I think it’s got to be situational. They both had some really good moments at their strengths tonight. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I’m struggling to see how some of you are getting on Race but not Trayce? Is one turnover really that different?

They both turned it over way too much but we don’t get to that point without both of them. 

In the end we turned it over way too much and still almost won against a power 5 team in a tough venue. Being the first road test with a new team and new coach, I’m encouraged and thinking that we could be really good if we keep working. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Wow, did you watch the IU @ Syracuse game? Same one I just watched? RP had a solid overall game. Lander was poor. 

I agree with almost everything you said except Landers play… He was NOT poor, but not great…His passing and ball handling was decent because it filled a much needed void when X fouled out. Finally, his 3 pointer late in the game was huge!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Sure thing, ace. I’ve been around for going on 50 years. Regardless, never will acknowledge little brother.

Thanks,anyway for responding. Your takes are truly insightful 🙄

I guess I can be like you and get my pom poms out and say "Better Luck Next Time!"

This game isn't the end of the world. Not even close. But we have a dangerous trend of getting sloppy with the ball. If that doesn't change, its gonna be another long season.