Syracuse Post Mortem Thread

Reacher

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't see them winning six straight in the tournament

I guess my point is, everyone is disappointed about the loss. But getting beat in double overtime by Syracuse or any reputable program with a hall of fame coach is not a bad loss, especially with a new coach and a new team. TOs can be cleaned up. Defense has been good up until this game. It’s their first real road game, a lot to learn but a lot to be optimistic about too. We have some shooters finally and some leadership. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Is the Jury still out on Duke? They lost to a mediocre OSU team. 

No, not sure the thread. But you will find where I said Both Duke and Gonzaga werent very good and Purdue was better. Hard to know how good IU really is when all we have played is crap teams. That was my point.

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

No, not sure the thread. But you will find where I said Both Duke and Gonzaga werent very good and Purdue was better. Hard to know how good IU really is when all we have played is crap teams. That was my point.

I don't think either St. Johns nor Syracuse are crap teams. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I guess my point is, everyone is disappointed about the loss. But getting beat in double overtime by Syracuse or any reputable program with a hall of fame coach is not a bad loss, especially with a new coach and a new team. TOs can be cleaned up. Defense has been good up until this game. It’s their first real road game, a lot to learn but a lot to be optimistic about too. We have some shooters finally and some leadership. 

....please don't include me in the "everyone" statement above... I'm far from it. My posts have made that clear...😐😎

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MSHoosier said:

Everyone is talking about the turnovers, and rightfully so, but if we don't give up 49 points in the first half, we may win the game anyway. I thought the defense was the worst part of the first half and this is where I was really frustrated. Race gave us everything he had, but I thought he showed me that he can't play perimeter defense. I think we have to get Jordan to the point where he can come in and try to lock down the 4 that plays outside.

They posted a stat at one point in the second half (I think) and it showed Cuse had 31 points off of turnovers compared to our 11. Syracuse didn't expose our defense, we did by not protecting the ball.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

They posted a stat at one point in the second half (I think) and it showed Cuse had 31 points off of turnovers compared to our 11. Syracuse didn't expose our defense, we did by not protecting the ball.

33 at the end. Cut the turnovers in half we win by 15.

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Idk about anyone else's thoughts or feelings but i was extremely disappointed we came out and got embarrassed in the first half.  To take solace in the 2nd half and some other things that transpired to keep us in the game, or the shooting percentages, fine by y'all.  Whatever, that should not have been a loss.  That's one of the worst Syracuse teams in 2 decades.  The ACC has basically gotten used to their defense and they will finish 7th or 8th in a weak ACC.  Its nowhere near as long and athletic as years past.  They will have a shooters chance when they are boiling hot from 3 like they were in the first half.   Bit that was a very disappointing loss, thankfully some positives came to light in the end.  

33 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Didn't they return all 5 starters from a S16 team?

No, just 2...Buddy Boeheim and Girard...Jimmy Boeheim transferred in from Cornell, Swider from Villanova and Edwards was a part timer last 2 years... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Idk about anyone else's thoughts or feelings but i was extremely disappointed we came out and got embarrassed in the first half.  To take solace in the 2nd half and some other things that transpired to keep us in the game, or the shooting percentages, fine by y'all.  Whatever, that should not have been a loss.  That's one of the worst Syracuse teams in 2 decades.  The ACC has basically gotten used to their defense and they will finish 7th or 8th in a weak ACC.  Its nowhere near as long and athletic as years past.  They will have a shooters chance when they are boiling hot from 3 like they were in the first half.   Bit that was a very disappointing loss, thankfully some positives came to light in the end.  

This is all prediction stuff stated as fact 7 games in and quite frankly an odd take saying they can be good if they hit everything, like last night. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Last night was the most fun that I have had watching Indiana Basketball since Romeo and Juwan and Co beat Mich state. I don't think I had watched a full game until last night. Ayden and I stayed up watched yelled had a great time. I have not had the opportunity or desire to watch like that since Oakley and I would watch with Vic, Cody and Yogi.  The apathy is gone

• Like 7

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

The ACC is used to the zone.  Woody is not.  He's been in the NBA for 40 years and while he's probably an excellent coach he surely believes you play everyone the same which is very naive.  It was a very important learning experience for him and the team.   At the Kohl Center likely will be as well. 

College basketball is vastly different than the NBA.  It's why guys like Tyrone Lue and Quinn Snyder can be successful in the league but would be epic failures at the college level. 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Last night was the most fun that I have had watching Indiana Basketball since Romeo and Juwan and Co beat Mich state. I don't think I had watched a full game until last night. Ayden and I stayed up watched yelled had a great time. I have not had the opportunity or desire to watch like that since Oakley and I would watch with Vic, Cody and Yogi.  The apathy is gone

Amen. Last night and St John helped cure my apathy of year. This staff has me confident we’ll be in every game this year (knight was blown out twice by Syracuse with only 1 win).

First road test the team reverted to bad habits when faced with adversity instead of trusting the game plan and coaching. I think the second half and overtime proved to the team that they can trust game planning from this staff and succeed. 

• Like 2

Just now, southsidehoosier said:

Amen. Last night and St John helped cure my apathy of year. This staff has me confident we’ll be in every game this year (knight was blown out twice by Syracuse with only 1 win).

First road test the team reverted to bad habits when faced with adversity instead of trusting the game plan and coaching. I think the second half and overtime proved to the team that they can trust game planning from this staff and succeed. 

I was just happy to get those nervous down the stretch feelings and actually want to watch every second

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I was just happy to get those nervous down the stretch feelings and actually want to watch every second

Didn't those feel good for a change? I know they sure did for me, and then laying in bed for the next hour rethinking of every minuscule mistake that would have won the game. It brought me back to the feelings of glory days era. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Didn't those feel good for a change? I know they sure did for me, and then laying in bed for the next hour rethinking of every minuscule mistake that would have won the game. It brought me back to the feelings of glory days era. 

I think many of us had the same experience.  Man to felt good to care. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

The ACC is used to the zone.  Woody is not.  He's been in the NBA for 40 years and while he's probably an excellent coach he surely believes you play everyone the same which is very naive.  It was a very important learning experience for him and the team.   At the Kohl Center likely will be as well. 

College basketball is vastly different than the NBA.  It's why guys like Tyrone Lue and Quinn Snyder can be successful in the league but would be epic failures at the college level. 

They scored 110 points in spite of 26 or whatever turnovers. This ain't rocket science. Woody isn't the only coach in the locker room or in the office for that matter. I think he'll be ok. Most college coaches bomb in the NBA not the other way around. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 3