Nebraska Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Saturday, December 4th  12:00 PM EST

Where: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: BTN

The Huskers are led by Fred Hoiberg in his 3rd season (19-47) at Nebraska. So far, they're 5-2 on the year with a game tonight at NC State as part of the ACC-Big 10 Challenge (7:15 PM EST on ESPNU for those interested), Here are their results so far...All games have been at Nebraska...

Opponent   Tm Opp
  Western Illinois L 74 75
  Sam Houston State W 74 65
  Creighton L 69 77
  Idaho State W 78 60
  Southern W 82 59
  Tennessee State W 79 73
  South Dakota W 83 70

image.png.f9467adee2182e1049b8bfdecc479c8a.png

5 Star freshman Bryce McGowans leads the team in scoring...They only go 6 or 7 deep...McGowans' brother and a player who normally starts, Trey, is out with a broken foot...

Expected starting lineup...

image.png.28e68555bebab4b096d64d5a33aed829.png

Main guy off the bench is Kobe Webster...We've seen him 4 or 5 years ago with Western Illinois, and last year with the Huskers...Good 3 point shooter who will drain them if he gets good looks...

They're pretty much consensus bottom 3 in the Big 10 along with Penn State and Minnesota

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Must win imo.  IU +20 I predict. 

Agree to an extent. It's not must win in the true meaning of the phrase. Obviously, IU can still recover with a loss. 

But, regardless of whether it's December, January or February, this is a home conference game against a team projected to finish in the bottom 3 of the conference. 

Again, time to recover, but these aren't games you lose if you're expecting to really compete to overachieve in the conference. 

• Like 6

I think we'll beat them pretty handily...Watched most of their game last night (and I had watched them against Creighton as well)...

They don't have any answer for our inside game. Trayce didn't have a spectacular game in our only meeting with them in Lincoln last year (15 pts, 11 rebounds) when we won by 8. Hoiberg is no dummy...He'll double Trayce all night. He did last year and our guards came up big...Al had 17 and Rob had 18...which also says something about their perimeter D...And I'd like to think we have much more reliable perimeter scorers this year...

They're very much an ebb and flow team...they can score in bunches, but can also go into droughts...Their only 2 reliable scorers are McGowans and Verge,,,McGowans is a freshman, and Verge's headlong rushes to the basket remind me a bit of Al Durham. Kobe Webster can score, but he's really streaky...if he gets on a roll though...

If we play GOOD D, and keep the turnovers down, we should have no problem...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

The fact anyone evens questions beating Nebraska in basketball makes me sad. 

It's going to be a W.

We're all still recovering from the last regime where we could (and often did) lose to anyone on any given night regardless of home or away. Personally, it will be a while before I don't have some worry about us laying an egg against a bottom tier conference team or ever feel good about winning a game at Wisconsin or even competing with PU. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, rico said:

I will also add that I am not a fan of playing conference games in the middle of the non-con schedule.

Nor starting the football season on the road at Iowa. (and I’m not just saying that because we got smoked).

Teams should have the out of conference games to work out the kinks, see which new players can play, etc. before the conference season starts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I know this isn't the exact spot for this... I posted in a different thread, but do you have to wear a mask in Assembly Hall when watching a game? 

Are they required?  Yes.

Does everyone wear one?  No.

I have yet to see anyone who had their mask off be directly told to put it back on.  The ushers walk up and down the stairs during a couple of timeouts holding up signs that say please wear your mask.  

This has been my experience in three games this year.  Others may have had a different one. 

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Parakeet Jones said:

Are they required?  Yes.

Does everyone wear one?  No.

I have yet to see anyone who had their mask off be directly told to put it back on.  The ushers walk up and down the stairs during a couple of timeouts holding up signs that say please wear your mask.  

This has been my experience in three games this year.  Others may have had a different one. 

Good enough for me. I'll be there, mask less, on the 22nd. Thank you. 

Thought about going to this game, but scheduling was going to be too tight. 

• Like 1