Nebraska Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Good enough for me. I'll be there, mask less, on the 22nd. Thank you. 

Thought about going to this game, but scheduling was going to be too tight. 

You will need to wear one when you go in though.  I usually pull my down at our seats.  I'll be one of the other maskless guys there on the 22nd. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I don’t really care but just chuckled at you interjecting it again. Watching a home game on TV for 3 seconds made it obvious that most are not wearing masks.  

so you're laughing at me for injecting something by... interjecting. Interesting strategy. 

Edited by btownqb

17 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Nebraska looked better than I expected on the road. The pre-season consensus had NC State ranked 9th in the ACC, out of 15 teams, right behind Georgia Tech and Syracuse.  I think we will win but will be surprised if it’s by 20. 

I imagine that Nebraska will look even better against us than they did against the Wolf Pack.  Not that I think the Fuskers are any good, just that "recently" we see to play down to the competition.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

so you're laughing at me for injecting something by... interjecting. Interesting strategy. 

Yes, because you initiated it and I thought it was obvious what you were doing. If I was wrong, mea culpa. I’ll shift back to sports now and my apologies to all that saw our comments.

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

Yes, because you initiated it and I thought it was obvious what you were doing. If I was wrong, mea culpa. I’ll shift back to sports now and my apologies to all that saw our comments.

I initiated nothing with you. Yeah, I'm not happy about masks policies, but this isn't anywhere close to the thread to discuss it in. I asked a question because I was literally in the process of buying tickets off Stub Hub for a game. 

5 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Not a shocker but our YTD assist to To numbers are 116-118. Yikes.

Miller Kopp, at 9 assists to 3 TO, is the only player with a 2-1 ratio or better. X is next best, from a percentage standpoint, at 32-18.   Really interested to see if we clean that up Saturday.

I think XJ improves that just a tick.... his will be fine. We just have a team full of very average, at best, passers. Couple that with our kids being uncomfortable, for now, with the pace they're being asked to play at.. we will adapt. But we need better guards moving forward, for sure. 

16 minutes ago, rico said:

I imagine that Nebraska will look even better against us than they did against the Wolf Pack.  Not that I think the Fuskers are any good, just that "recently" we see to play down to the competition.

I don't know...

Nebraska has no player that's on the offensive level of Buddy or even Jimmy Boeheim or Joe Girard...and while they did play some zone last night, it's not their regular defense, and they're not as good at playing it as even a mediocre Syracuse team...also, when they were up 14 on NCST, back court pressure by the Wolfpack was the reason the choked up the lead...

I think the only team we actually played down to this year were the EMU Eagles (they use to be the Hurons, but PC...begs the question"when will they change the name of the lake?" 😁)...

8 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Not a shocker but our YTD assist to To numbers are 116-118. Yikes.

Miller Kopp, at 9 assists to 3 TO, is the only player with a 2-1 ratio or better. X is next best, from a percentage standpoint, at 32-18.   Really interested to see if we clean that up Saturday.

I am not logging them, but it seems to me that probably half of them are totally needless.  You have guys that just lose focus and concentration.  They really need to value the ball.  Instead of 26 turnovers, if we had 20 (still too high), we win that game.  We gift wrapped it with ribbon and a bow.  

There will be mis-handling of the ball.  You throw it to a big, he is expecting it higher and then its lower and he bobbles it and loses it.  Not ideal, but that's life.  But you get guys who jump with the ball without a plan, or take it into three defenders for no reason or just make a stupid decision.  That's not valuing the ball.  You have to treat the ball and every possession like it's a gold nugget.  You don't have mulligans when you play Michigan or Michigan State, etc.

Value the ball and knock off the completely stupid turnovers and we can be formidable.

• Like 2

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I am not logging them, but it seems to me that probably half of them are totally needless.  You have guys that just lose focus and concentration.  They really need to value the ball.  Instead of 26 turnovers, if we had 20 (still too high), we win that game.  We gift wrapped it with ribbon and a bow.  

There will be mis-handling of the ball.  You throw it to a big, he is expecting it higher and then its lower and he bobbles it and loses it.  Not ideal, but that's life.  But you get guys who jump with the ball without a plan, or take it into three defenders for no reason or just make a stupid decision.  That's not valuing the ball.  You have to treat the ball and every possession like it's a gold nugget.  You don't have mulligans when you play Michigan or Michigan State, etc.

Value the ball and knock off the completely stupid turnovers and we can be formidable.

I also am not logging them but agree that many of the to’s do not seem to be the result of pressure which gives me hope that it should be relatively easy to clean up. Can’t expect to all the sudden change the turnover situation but hopefully we don’t go over a still poor 14-15 Saturday (getting 26 last game has really lowered my bar ).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think XJ improves that just a tick.... his will be fine. We just have a team full of very average, at best, passers. Couple that with our kids being uncomfortable, for now, with the pace they're being asked to play at.. we will adapt. But we need better guards moving forward, for sure. 

Yep. X has been better than 2-1 the last three games and had 9 assists to 3 TO’s in the Syracuse turnoverpalooza.

He needs to control his fouls as I think we would have beaten Cuse if he brought the ball up at the end of the first OT (it sounds like other players botched that last play but X probably would have reacted/recovered by taking the ball to the rim). Think he will have a big game vs NB.

2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Yep. X has been better than 2-1 the last three games and had 9 assists to 3 TO’s in the Syracuse turnoverpalooza.

He needs to control his fouls as I think we would have beaten Cuse if he brought the ball up at the end of the first OT (it sounds like other players botched that last play but X probably would have reacted/recovered by taking the ball to the rim). Think he will have a big game vs NB.

He, in general, needs to grow up. I like him and his toughness, but there is an immaturity there and you can see it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He, in general, needs to grow up. I like him and his toughness, but there is an immaturity there and you can see it. 

He does get out of control at times.  But, the main thing with him, IMO he plays very, very hard and I can forgive a lot in a player like that.  He brings an energy and intensity that I think rubs off on the team, especially from that position.  He wants to play fast, so he sometimes loses the ball on O or makes a foul on D, but he is making things happen. 

Plus we will all agree that he can get downhill, and he can go get a shot.  Later in games, it's nice to have a guy like that.  You need a guy that can get that bucket.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

IThat's not valuing the ball.  You have to treat the ball and every possession like it's a gold nugget.  

I probably should have said treat every possession like it's one bitcoin, and now they'd agree.  LOL

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

There will be mis-handling of the ball.  You throw it to a big, he is expecting it higher and then its lower and he bobbles it and loses it. 

I thought both Race and Trayce we're a little slow recognizing the double team which led to a few of the turnovers...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He does get out of control at times.  But, the main thing with him, IMO he plays very, very hard and I can forgive a lot in a player like that.  He brings an energy and intensity that I think rubs off on the team, especially from that position.  He wants to play fast, so he sometimes loses the ball on O or makes a foul on D, but he is making things happen. 

Plus we will all agree that he can get downhill, and he can go get a shot.  Later in games, it's nice to have a guy like that.  You need a guy that can get that bucket.  

None of that bothers me. Mouthing off to the crowd after he gets his 5th foul bothers me. He also got a ridiculous T when we were sooo short handed one game in our back court. He has also committed multiple fouls because he was frustrated about something else. 

Absolutely want him on the court late in games, but it's not a you take the good with the bad type thing. He needs to correct his weaknesses because they're literally self inflicted wounds and he in return hurts our team. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

None of that bothers me. Mouthing off to the crowd after he gets his 5th foul bothers me. He also got a ridiculous T when we were sooo short handed one in our back court. He has also committed multiple fouls because he was frustrated about something else. 

Absolutely want him on the court late in games, but it's not a you take the good with the bad type thing. He needs to correct his weaknesses because they're literally self inflicted wounds and he in return hurts our team. 

Gotcha.  I didn't realize he did all that.  I agree 100%.

• Like 1