Nebraska Post Game Thread

KDB

Just now, Bushmage said:

Lander was arguably one of the worst players in D1 last year while Rob is a senior and lander is better in all offensive categories. Never claimed I know more than Woodson, but you just said Lander needs to play better and the truth is he is outperforming rob

He isn't though. That's the thing. When everything is factored in, Robs still, unfortunately, better for us. Yes, KL is a better scorer, flat out.. no argument from me. 

I think he can for sure make the flashier plays as well, he has not shown he can do it consistently though because of his turnovers/poor decision making. 

Rob flat out makes better decisions. 

I dont think Rob is a good option and I want KL to prove to be consistently a better overall option than Rob. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Good grief man, just stop. Take up your argument with CMW. Lander’s foul at the end of the Syracuse game was enough for me to sit him on the bench the whole game today. Completely idiotic. Obviously CMW wasn’t happy about KL’s performance Wed. Or he felt Nebraska wasn’t a good matchup for him. 

It's more unreasonable to say 1 foul deserves lander sit an entire game when he's the one who got us into overtime in the first place than for me to say rob isn't great for us and we should move on with talent that will be here beyond this season. But I don't think you're interested in another viewpoint about this. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

It's more unreasonable to say 1 foul deserves lander sit an entire game when he's the one who got us into overtime in the first place than for me to say rob isn't great for us and we should move on with talent that will be here beyond this season. But I don't think you're interested in another viewpoint about this. 

Nah, you’ve just beaten the topic like a dead horse. CMW has a reason, many of us appear to agree with, for not playing KL as much as you want him to. Support who is on the floor. If that’s KL, I hope he dominates. If RP is on the floor I hope he dominates. I understand why people want to give KL a longer leash, but I disagree, as does CMW so far. 

Edited by kyhoosier29

10 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

He said lander needs to play better to see the floor and is objectively comparable with Rob. If CMW rolls with Rob still, so be it. Its not some grave mistake. But there is some delusion about Rob actually has given us this year and it's his 4th year is all. 

Not really. We know what Rob offers. Some of us are saying, what Rob offers is still slightly better than what Lander offers. Woodson agrees as well.

Some of you keep saying that since Lander has (somehow) shown more improvement, he's somehow deserving of more minutes. Improvement is meaningless when your current game/play isn't as good as your teammate/competitor.

It's just funny because a lot of what people seem to be saying is, since Rob isn't living up to expectations of us fans, he's not deserving of his playing time. It's hilarious because people seem to want to slam Phinisee to make Lander seem like the better candidate. Lander has had every opportunity for PT this year. Phinisee has been hurt, X hasn't been great, foul trouble, etc. And Lander still didn't get in the game today. What does that tell you? 

I hope Lander improves and takes over Phinisee's PT. I think I and others all truly wish that. But we shouldn't rag on Phinisee to make the case for Lander.

• Like 1

Good win.

Team showed some grit and didn’t let the bad start sink them. Much better mental approach to games this year. I think that the Syracuse game helped in developing a toughness and a team thought process that they can come back from any situation.

The whole argument about who is , or should be playing is wasted energy, imo. Playing time is not determined by reputation but by practice performance. We have no idea what happens in practice, but I have faith in CMW that the product he puts on the floor is a reflection of the effort and skill shown at practice 

• Like 4

I didn't watch the game but followed on the board and watched a game tracker! I thought that we would come out flat. The  Scuse game and the let down with the loss! Happy for the Bench guys!! We need bench and STARTERS to play well. TDJ off today better than later! Can't be in Beast mode every game. Bench played a lot better than the Scuse game! A game that should have won and THE TEAM DID. Get better every game! We will be up and down because of all thats New surrounding the team! A bad start but a W is all we ask for! Guys get over your selfs on Rob and Kristian you are  both Right!! Trust COACH!! GO IU! Congratulations on Your 1st of MANY BID 10 WINS CMW and STAFF!

Edited by loviubb

Solid win. Wasn't too worried when we were down early, but geez it feels like it's been 5 years of slow starts. 

I like Leal getting minutes. He's so smart, so unselfish, and I don't think his defense is really that bad. He makes up for a lack of athleticism with hustle and smarts. 

Good to see Bates get going and Stewart stay hot from 3. 

On the Phinisee thing, he was solid. But man, how is he such an awful shooter and scorer? Most of his shots are pretty wide open, he's just a bad shooter though. But, I thought his defense helped change the game as usual. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Good win.

Team showed some grit and didn’t let the bad start sink them. Much better mental approach to games this year. I think that the Syracuse game helped in developing a toughness and a team thought process that they can come back from any situation.

The whole argument about who is , or should be playing is wasted energy, imo. Playing time is not determined by reputation but by practice performance. We have no idea what happens in practice, but I have faith in CMW that the product he puts on the floor is a reflection of the effort and skill shown at practice 

It's what internet basketball forums are for!

Can you imagine if there had been an internet and basketball forums back in 1975?

"Good lord, Buckner can't shoot a lick! Radford deserves more minutes! And I think if they gave Don Noort a chance, he could push Benny out of the lineup! I don't know what Knight is doing, but we should beat Minnesota by more than 40!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's what internet basketball forums are for!

Can you imagine if there had been an internet and basketball forums back in 1975?

"Good lord, Buckner can't shoot a lick! Radford deserves more minutes! And I think if they gave Don Noort a chance, he could push Benny out of the lineup! I don't know what Knight is doing, but we should beat Minnesota by more than 40!"

Imagine in 80-81 season getting off to a 7-5 start after losing to Texas Pan American

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Inequality said:

You all have seen the childhood videos shared by his Mother. Leal has long dreamed about his chance to be on the floor as a Hoosier. You bet he is going to give his all every chance he gets. The way he shoots the rock, I personally would get him in the game a whole lot more.

I watched just him on D when he was in. He is coming around on that end, much more active. Had good switches, didnt lose his man and was just more aggressive then only a few weeks ago.  You can tell someone has been working with him. On offense he keeps the ball moving better than most on the team. Takes the shot when open. Bates could learn from watching Leal.

• Like 1

By just about any measure, Khristian has been better than Rob. His turnover percentage is higher, yes, but then his assist percentage and every shooting percentage is also higher. Lander is a better rebounder, has a better steal percentage. Lander's defensive rating, defensive plus/minus, even his defensive win shares, are all higher as well. There's really just nothing to recommend Rob over Lander as the better player right now; Except that Woodson continues to play Rob as the first backup, of course. Perhaps seniority matters some, and physical maturity. But count me among those who want to see Lander's minutes rise as the season goes on. I'm much more interested in seeing what Lander can become than what we already know Rob to be.

3 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

By just about any measure, Khristian has been better than Rob. His turnover percentage is higher, yes, but then his assist percentage and every shooting percentage is also higher. Lander is a better rebounder, has a better steal percentage. Lander's defensive rating, defensive plus/minus, even his defensive win shares, are all higher as well. There's really just nothing to recommend Rob over Lander as the better player right now; Except that Woodson continues to play Rob as the first backup, of course. Perhaps seniority matters some, and physical maturity. But count me among those who want to see Lander's minutes rise as the season goes on. I'm much more interested in seeing what Lander can become than what we already know Rob to be.

I am more concerned with which players helps us win games and not a bunch of stats

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am more concerned with which players helps us win games and not a bunch of stats

If he scores more points, shoots better from 2, 3 and on FTs, grabs more rebounds, creates more assists, records more steals, and has better defensive metrics across the board, then he's probably doing more to help us win.

• Haha 1

I'll just throw this out there...

Like Coach Woodson says, there will be times this season, whether it be through injury or circumstances that we're going need every scholarship kid, including probably Duncomb, to play important minutes. There were doubts about our depth at the beginning, and maybe the jury is still out to some extent, but I feel good about our off the bench kids...

• Like 3