Wisconsin Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Wednesday, December 8th  7:00 PM EST

Where: Kohl Center, Madison, Wisconsin

TV: BTN

IU Takes on #23 Wisconsin (7-1) in the first Big 10 road test this year, Here's the Badgers' results so far..

Opponent           Tm    Opp            Arena
St. Francis (NY)    W    81    58    Kohl Center
Green Bay             W    72    34    Kohl Center
Providence            L    58    63    Kohl Center
Texas A&M           W    69    58    Michelob Ulta Arena
Houston (12)        W    65    63    Michelob Ulta Arena
Saint Mary's (CA) W    61    55    Michelob Ulta Arena
Georgia Tech        W    70    66    McCamish Pavilion
Marquette             W    89    76    Kohl Center

image.png.5ef6a16117d9d4eb617706d5eda6e416.png

Starters Stats

image.png.3e4b9bc3698c1b6694a3f68f1bf2aa60.png

We all know Brad Davison and what he brings...this is his 5th year at Wisconsin...he's a tough competitor. The pleasant surprise for the Badgers is the emergence of Johnny Davis (20 PPG). He's a tough cover, as he has both an inside and outside game. He's taken over for D'Mitrick Trice as the "go to" guy when they need a basket. Chucky Hepburn has been a nice addition at point guars as well...Picked 9th or 10th (one pundit had them 11th) in the Big 10, I think they'll finish higher than that after seeing them play...

Outlook: You couldn’t watch a Wisconsin Badgers game on TV last season without the announcers pointing out that the Badgers’ starting five was older than that of the Chicago Bulls. As a team Wisconsin ranked 12th in the country in minutes continuity and 22nd in experience leading many to peg it as a Big Ten title contender. 2020-21 didn’t go as planned, though, as the Badgers managed a measly 16-11 (10-10) record albeit with excellent analytical metrics (12th overall in KenPom heading into the postseason). Now, Greg Gard has arguably his least talented and least experienced team (on paper) of his 7-year head coaching career. The Badgers will be reliant on a plethora of former deep rotation pieces and freshmen to compete in the always daunting Big Ten.

Bottom Line: This will be a transition year for Gard as he develops the next group of Badger greats. His team lacks proven talent, but there is potential at every position. If Hepburn or Neath can be serviceable at the point of attack, the Badgers should have enough size, burgeoning skill, and leadership to stay competitive in the middle of the Big Ten.

Highlights of their last game vs Marquette...

I like our chances here...we lost at Wisconsin in double OT last year, and I think we have more weapons and they have less...They have the 2 big, methodical interior players in Crowl and Vogt who TJD usually does well against...The interesting matchup to me will be (I assume) Race on Tyler Wahl and Stewart on Johnny Davis...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I think we do have a decided advantage at point guard, no matter whether XJ or Rob are in the game...

I do worry about our inside depth...If you think about it, we have Durr (who's been a mixed bag) and Geronimo (who's confidence seems to be shaken) and the unproven Duncomb to spell TJD and Race...And I thought they both looked a little gassed at the end of the Nebraska game...

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I always judge games at Wisconsin by how quickly our best player gets called for his 2nd foul. 

If TJD gets two bogus fouls called on him in the first 5 minutes, then it could be a long night. If not, and the refs actually call it straight up, then we have a shot. 

And that's always a worry too...So far, our bigs have done a nice job staying out of foul trouble despite being tough inside and blocking a lot of shot...Hopefully we don't get a whistle happy crew of Sconies...

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Can't say I get the optimism to win at Wisconsin.  I'd be surprised if IU was within 10 points at the end.

Agree. Also not sure on all of the "we're more talented" posts. Wisconsin is ranked, IU is not. Wisconsin is 3-1 against Power 5 schools to far and that doesn't include a win over ranked Houston. 

That doesn't happen without talent. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. Also not sure on all of the "we're more talented" posts. Wisconsin is ranked, IU is not. Wisconsin is 3-1 against Power 5 schools to far and that doesn't include a win over ranked Houston. 

That doesn't happen without talent. 

Yeah, I love the program's trajectory, but I also watched Wisconsin dismantle Marquette pretty easily.  They looked pretty damned good to me...certainly rank-worthy.  IU will have the best player on the floor, but I don't really think IU has the best team yet.

If IU wins at Wisconsin, that's a huge boost to the program.  Those expecting it will likely be disappointed though.

• Like 1