Wisconsin Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

Link to Coach Woody's Radio with Don Fischer 

One comment Coach Woody made kinda piqued my interest...

“I don’t think they have enough time in AAU to teach. When I was coming up as a player, it was the high school coach who dominated everything. Now with AAU, you just roll the ball out and play.” 

Wonder how AAU coaches feel about that?

Edited by IUFLA

I'd like to see a game against Wisconsin where IU's team looks like they have a clue and can get inside the Badger's heads instead of the usual. My guess is you will see Davison taking a marginally dirty shot at some point or faking a broken leg and getting the call. Let's see if IU can keep their composure and out think them for once. And the one thing you can bank on is they will double TJD every possession and be very physical with him. There wont be a foul called for this but they will make someone else beat them.

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

“I don’t think they have enough time in AAU to teach. When I was coming up as a player, it was the high school coach who dominated everything. Now with AAU, you just roll the ball out and play.” 

Wonder how AAU coached feel about that?

They better be ready to take notes

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Totally agree with Coach Woodson

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just looking at the boxscore from last year's game in Madison that we lost in double OT...

FTs 

IU 5-8 

UW 16-20 

TOs 

IU 13 

UW 7 

😡

I'm just LOL'ing because sometimes I wonder: How warped is our fanbase's perception that games in Madison are unbalanced. 

And those stats.....haha.....it's not warped at all!!!!

Edited by tdhoosier

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm just LOL'ing because sometimes I wonder: How warped is our fanbase's perception that games in Madison are unbalanced. 

And those stats.....haha.....it's not warped at all!!!!

We always get rolled there.  Even Cody who was one of the smartest and most talented players we've had was no match.  Trayce will have 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes.  Guaranteed. 

https://www.insidethehall.com/2012/01/27/notebook-foul-trouble-limits-zellers-minutes/

Edited by dbmhoosier
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most of them probably agree with it. Teams are made up of kids who don't live near each other, so I'm guessing they get very little practice time together. Maybe somebody more familiar with the AAU circuit can correct me if I'm wrong. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

His comment about Tamar playing defense was interesting too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

We always get rolled there.  Even Cody who was one of the smartest and most talented players we've had was no match.  Trayce will have 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes.  Guaranteed. 

https://www.insidethehall.com/2012/01/27/notebook-foul-trouble-limits-zellers-minutes/

There is also the game where Nigel Hayes went 987-for-989 from the foul line. 

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

In 2016, in IU's OT loss at WI, IU was 16-18 on FTs, Nigel Hayes was 17-22.

Yep.  Further, officials are getting savvy about keeping fouls (total fouls per team) at least in the neighborhood of fair.  The one workaround is not calling fouls on the home team being physical and keeping the road team from breathing on the opponent.  So at the end, fouls look close, but physical contact is WAY different.  This tends to be the B1G method, in particular, at Wisconsin and Mackey.

43 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

And while on topic, anyone else feel like they have a dartboard of Coach Knight or voodoo doll B1G officials play with before games.  

There was a time where we would get a fair to more than fair shake.  No longer.  

Props to Coach Woodson, who leaves the refs alone.  Should help down the road.  

Look back at old games in AH and we got way more than our fair shake

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HooASUier said:

Wondering about Fife's impact on this game and what he can bring to the table with his experience against UW. Anyone remember how MSU has played at UW in Fife's time there?

I sure hope Fife has been in his ear.  Basketball isn't just Basketball and you can't just roll the ball out and play everyone the same.  You have to adjust or you're going to get your ass beat.  That's especially true when you're playing a Wisconsin, Syracuse, Virginia, etc.   I still doubt Woody has figured that out.