Wisconsin Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

30 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I sure hope Fife has been in his ear.  Basketball isn't just Basketball and you can't just roll the ball out and play everyone the same.  You have to adjust or you're going to get your ass beat.  That's especially true when you're playing a Wisconsin, Syracuse, Virginia, etc.   I still doubt Woody has figured that out.  

Hoping Matta shares some insight too. Good thing Woodson's shown he listens to his assistants.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I sure hope Fife has been in his ear.  Basketball isn't just Basketball and you can't just roll the ball out and play everyone the same.  You have to adjust or you're going to get your ass beat.  That's especially true when you're playing a Wisconsin, Syracuse, Virginia, etc.   I still doubt Woody has figured that out.  

I think Coach was talking aau ball where you just roll it out.

Edited by loviubb
  • Like 1

I lived in Madison from 1988-1995. I attended several IU games in the old field house. I watched UW players laugh at my son and I when we were going nuts over Calbert  et al going off on them. 

For IU to return to prominence, we have to start dominating the teams we used to beat handily. Time for CMW , CDF and the staff to remind these kids of what the candy stripes represent, what the history of IU basketball means, and how they need to get the program back to its place of prominence in the conference  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If the lazy start continues, this one could get out of shape early.

Hoping they at least stay within striking distance. There are scoring options that have been effective. I think IU is going to need the bench to be productive to have a shot. A big scoring game by Bates and Stewart would be nice.

Tempering my expectations. IU -10

• Like 1

When I was in school in 70's Wisky was a walk-over.

There was the famous hamburger game.  It was a national TV game at IU.  McDonalds was offering a free hamburger if IU held an opponent to below 50 if you brought your ticket stub in.  This was the eventual '76 NC team.  It was late in the 2d half and IU was in command and all the starters were out.  However, there was a real chance that IU could hold Wisky below 50, so the crowd was still amped to the max as we were tasting that free hamburger.  Suddenly Buckner stands up and turns to the crowd and starts a chant:  Give me an "H" (H!), give me and "A" (A!!!).  But I don't think he got to "M" as CRMK told him to sit down.  At any rate the cheer worked as IU held Wisky below 50.  Never saw such a big crowd at McDonald's than that night after the game!  Give me an "M"............

• Like 5

5 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

In no way do I think Woody (and the staff) just roll the ball out.  One of the reasons I like listening to Woody after games is because of the adjustments he refers to that were made during the game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In researching how to defeat Badgers, I came across the following article.  

https://www.trap-anything.com/trapping-badgers.html

A couple of excerpts from the article:

• It sounds as if the best approach may be to trap them.

Plus, badgers are actually pretty easy to trap

• While that sounds like a good opportunity for most of the Big Ten, it sounds as if it would be a perfect strategy for Purdue.  Sounds if the Badgers will charge right into the trap when playing the Boilers. @Stlboiler23

Badgers typically like stinky baits

• Haha 4

I'm just hoping that somebody is letting XJ know what he's in for. He can't get frustrated and give up those bad fouls. Our chances of winning greatly increase if he's able to play at least 30 minutes. 

I'm betting that a part of UW's game plan will be to get into his head and go at him physically because we struggle offensively without him on the floor. Keep your cool X! 

• Like 7

I went back and watched last year's game in Madison on YouTube (I know...demented)...

It wasn't so much the fouls they called on us, but the fouls they didn't call on Wisconsin...especially the one they didn't call on Reuvers on Tracye's drive to the hoops at the end of regulation...We were well into overtime before we were in the bonus...

Also, I'd forgot that Anthony Leal played 35 minutes in that game, and was 3-6 from 3...He was a big part of why we were still in it at the end...He guarded Johnny Davis a lot (along with Galloway)and Davis was 2-11 from the floor...

Gut wrenching game that I think was one of the turning points of that season...no Armaan, undermanned, playing 4 freshmen and absolutely no relief for our bigs, and we took them into double OT...

We can win this game tonight...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I went back and watched last year's game in Madison on YouTube (I know...demented)...

It wasn't so much the fouls they called on us, but the fouls they didn't call on Wisconsin...especially the one they didn't call on Reuvers on Tracye's drive to the hoops at the end of regulation...We were well into overtime before we were in the bonus...

Also, I'd forgot that Anthony Leal played 35 minutes in that game, and was 3-6 from 3...He was a big part of why we were still in it at the end...He guarded Johnny Davis a lot (along with Galloway)and Davis was 2-11 from the floor...

Gut wrenching game that I think was one of the turning points of that season...no Armaan, undermanned, playing 4 freshmen and absolutely no relief for our bigs, and we took them into double OT...

We can win this game tonight...

Didn’t Trayce miss a wide open layup at the end of the first OT that would have won us the game? Or was that regulation, the one you’re referring to about getting fouled? I don’t remember there being a foul on the bunny he missed. 

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Didn’t Trayce miss a wide open layup at the end of the first OT that would have won us the game? Or was that regulation, the one you’re referring to about getting fouled? I don’t remember there being a foul on the bunny he missed. 

It was at the end of regulation, and there was plenty of contact...