Wisconsin Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

Wow this teams fans are definitely beaten down from the last couple of seasons lol. Not even giving this team a chance even before the game starts. Last season we had a terrible team and took an experienced Wisconsin team into double overtime. This is an inexperienced decent Badgers teams that can definitely be defeated.

Edited by Hoosier51

13 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, I love the program's trajectory, but I also watched Wisconsin dismantle Marquette pretty easily.  

They beat a decent Marquette by pulling away in the second half but there was 13 lead changes and six ties in the first half, so they didn't play a complete game just like has been the Hoosiers problems. I think they are a good team but IU can most definitely win this game.

Edited by Hoosier51

7 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Wow this teams fans are definitely beaten down from the last couple of seasons lol. Not even giving this team a chance even before the game stars. Last season we had a terrible team and took an experienced Wisconsin team into double overtime. This is an inexperienced decent Badgers teams that can definitely be defeated.

That's what I thought before I watched a game.  They may have less experience, but I think the talent is better.  I'll be glad to be wrong, but I think they were very much undervalued due to who left.  After watching them, I'm not convinced they haven't upgraded.

I like IU's trajectory, but I don't think they are there yet.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

That's what I thought before I watched a game.  They may have less experience, but I think the talent is better.  I'll be glad to be wrong, but I think they were very much undervalued due to who left.  After watching them, I'm not convinced they haven't upgraded.

I like IU's trajectory, but I don't think they are there yet.

I've watched them play a couple of times, the Hoosiers will win this game if they keep their turnovers down and avoid a slow start.

Wondering how Coach Woody is going to match them up...

TJD-Crowl

Race-Wahl

XJ-Hepburn 

Those make sense, but the two main cogs in the Wisky offense, Davis and Davison...

I'm thinking Parker on Davis (because I think he's a better defender than Kopp) and Kopp on Davison? I don't know about that one...

Brad Davison has never had a good game against Rob Phinisee that I can remember...Rob's always done a nice job on him...in the games where they've both played (4) Davison is 8-33 (24%) and scored 25 points (6 ppg...11 in one game)...Davison likes to be physical on defense, but when he gets a taste of his own medicine, apparently he doesn't care for it...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

I'm not optimistic the Hoosiers win this one, but I am also not chalking this one up in the loss column yet either. Second road game for IU...they were an OT possession of winning the game at Syracuse. Wisconsin is most likely better, but the season is young, so who knows for sure. I won't be shocked if IU comes out a little tentative but hopefully once they settle in the shots will fall. Defense needs to be better than at SU in the first half and definitely need to keep the turnovers in check. My expectations are for a tight game. Go Hoosiers!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, IUFLA said:

When: Wednesday, December 8th  7:00 PM EST

Where: Kohl Center, Madison, Wisconsin

TV: BTN

IU Takes on #23 Wisconsin (7-1) in the first Big 10 road test this year, Here's the Badgers' results so far..

Opponent           Tm    Opp            Arena
St. Francis (NY)    W    81    58    Kohl Center
Green Bay             W    72    34    Kohl Center
Providence            L    58    63    Kohl Center
Texas A&M           W    69    58    Michelob Ulta Arena
Houston (12)        W    65    63    Michelob Ulta Arena
Saint Mary's (CA) W    61    55    Michelob Ulta Arena
Georgia Tech        W    70    66    McCamish Pavilion
Marquette             W    89    76    Kohl Center

image.png.5ef6a16117d9d4eb617706d5eda6e416.png

Starters Stats

image.png.3e4b9bc3698c1b6694a3f68f1bf2aa60.png

We all know Brad Davison and what he brings...this is his 5th year at Wisconsin...he's a tough competitor. The pleasant surprise for the Badgers is the emergence of Johnny Davis (20 PPG). He's a tough cover, as he has both an inside and outside game. He's taken over for D'Mitrick Trice as the "go to" guy when they need a basket. Chucky Hepburn has been a nice addition at point guars as well...Picked 9th or 10th (one pundit had them 11th) in the Big 10, I think they'll finish higher than that after seeing them play...

Outlook: You couldn’t watch a Wisconsin Badgers game on TV last season without the announcers pointing out that the Badgers’ starting five was older than that of the Chicago Bulls. As a team Wisconsin ranked 12th in the country in minutes continuity and 22nd in experience leading many to peg it as a Big Ten title contender. 2020-21 didn’t go as planned, though, as the Badgers managed a measly 16-11 (10-10) record albeit with excellent analytical metrics (12th overall in KenPom heading into the postseason). Now, Greg Gard has arguably his least talented and least experienced team (on paper) of his 7-year head coaching career. The Badgers will be reliant on a plethora of former deep rotation pieces and freshmen to compete in the always daunting Big Ten.

Bottom Line: This will be a transition year for Gard as he develops the next group of Badger greats. His team lacks proven talent, but there is potential at every position. If Hepburn or Neath can be serviceable at the point of attack, the Badgers should have enough size, burgeoning skill, and leadership to stay competitive in the middle of the Big Ten.

Highlights of their last game vs Marquette...

I like our chances here...we lost at Wisconsin in double OT last year, and I think we have more weapons and they have less...They have the 2 big, methodical interior players in Crowl and Vogt who TJD usually does well against...The interesting matchup to me will be (I assume) Race on Tyler Wahl and Stewart on Johnny Davis...

JMHO, but Stewart will have his hands full trying to guard Davis.  I haven't watched Stewart closely, but my first impression has been that he's not particularly quick or athletic.  Tell me if I'm wrong there because we need someone with those qualities to cover Davis.  I guess this also means Kopp has Davison?  Don't care for that matchup as well.  I could see us going to Phinisee, but then we're back to a small backcourt.  Probably going to need some strong minutes from Bates and maybe Leal.  I'm interested to see if Lander gets back on the floor also.  Our bench will need to step up.  Forgot about Geronimo.  Hopefully he can contribute too.

Edited by jv1972iu

7 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

JMHO, but Stewart will have his hands full trying to guard Davis.  I haven't watched Stewart closely, but my first impression has been that he's not particularly quick or athletic.  Tell me if I'm wrong there because we need someone with those qualities to cover Davis.  I guess this also means Kopp has Davison?  Don't care for that matchup as well.  I could see us going to Phinisee, but then we're back to a small backcourt.  Probably going to need some strong minutes from Bates and maybe Leal.  I'm interested to see if Lander gets back on the floor also.  Our bench will need to step up.  Forgot about Geronimo.  Hopefully he can contribute too.

I thought Stewart did a pretty good defensive job on Bryce McGowans (who's a similar player to Johnny Davis) in the Nebraska game...I know he struggled against Buddy Boeheim, but he also made Boeheim take some tough shots that he made...Overall, I think he's a good defender...

And I agree...Kopp on Davison isn't a match up I want to see either...Bringing Phinisee in along side XJ cuts into our depth, but as I said, I don't think Davison particularly likes Rob guarding him...

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I thought Stewart did a pretty good defensive job on Bryce McGowans (who's a similar player to Johnny Davis) in the Nebraska game...I know he struggled against Buddy Boeheim, but he also made Boeheim take some tough shots that he made...Overall, I think he's a good defender...

And I agree...Kopp on Davison isn't a match up I want to see either...Bringing Phinisee in along side XJ cuts into our depth, but as I said, I don't think Davison particularly likes Rob guarding him...

Agreed. If we rely on Kopp to defend Davison it won't turn out well for the good guys. Refer back to OT in the Syracuse game when they started to iso Boeheim. Nobody we had on the floor could handle him one on one. I think Rob and XJ playing together some would be the answer but if the refs aren't letting our guards play physical (which I've never seen happen in the Kohl center) then that could backfire as well. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Agreed. If we rely on Kopp to defend Davison it won't turn out well for the good guys. Refer back to OT in the Syracuse game when they started to iso Boeheim. Nobody we had on the floor could handle him one on one. I think Rob and XJ playing together some would be the answer but if the refs aren't letting our guards play physical (which I've never seen happen in the Kohl center) then that could backfire as well. 

If that’s the case, then people are going to get what they want and see a lot of KL. 

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Wondering how Coach Woody is going to match them up...

TJD-Crowl

Race-Wahl

XJ-Hepburn 

Those make sense, but the two main cogs in the Wisky offense, Davis and Davison...

I'm thinking Parker on Davis (because I think he's a better defender than Kopp) and Kopp on Davison? I don't know about that one...

Brad Davison has never had a good game against Rob Phinisee that I can remember...Rob's always done a nice job on him...in the games where they've both played (4) Davison is 8-33 (24%) and scored 25 points (6 ppg...11 in one game)...Davison likes to be physical on defense, but when he gets a taste of his own medicine, apparently he doesn't care for it...

So is that Audrey or Katherine Hepburn

This game is winnable, but certainly won't be easy.  Need to play defense like in the second half against Syracuse.  We have some shooters now, so Wiscy can't just collapse on the inside.  Just, no slow starts, tough defense, and most of all, take care of the ball.  If this team ever learns how to keep the TO's down, it will be a tough out for anyone.  Finally, no two fouls for Trayce or X in the first 5-10 minutes.  Need a fairly called game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1