IU set to hire Walt Bell as offensive coordinator.

IU247

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I don’t know what position they recruited him in HS, guessing it changed when he got to FSU. So I’m definitely sure they know each other 

Yeah he was a WR his entire career there, so they absolutely knew each other.

Whether those emojis were about Bell is a whole other story, his next tweet tells me it may be something unrelated.

• Like 1

I am very curious about Bell, for obvious reasons, so I found a few things to help "paint the picture" a bit. 

Here are a few things from the hoosierhuddle article.

Rather, what exactly might we expect from his offense at Indiana? What might the Hoosiers look like in 2022 on that side of the ball?

It is impossible to simplify an offensive scheme down to one phrase. There are so many variables and different formations that can make up an offensive game plan that just calling an offense one phrase is often inadequate. That being said, at it’s simplest, Walt Bell has relied on an up-tempo “power spread” in his previous stops. Bell likes for his offense to move with tempo and he prefers to operate from the shotgun the majority of the time with an emphasis on running the ball. 

This seem the opposite of Sheridan, which is refreshing. Now, with the right guys to build around this "game plan/philosophy", it could be very fun to watch. It seem very similar to a Wilson lead offense.

https://hoosierhuddle.com/hoosier-blog/ringing-the-bell-what-to-make-of-the-hoosiers-new-offensive-coordinator/2021/12/6

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, iuswingman said:

I think every OC bio mentions being a top offensive mind.  Probably part of the template for copying and pasting.

Seriously, what else are they going to say about their OC? It's not as though they're going to say he's mediocre or talk about his defensive knowledge.

I don't know enough about which "candidates" were actually contacted or interested in job, but the vitriol coming out after this hire is pretty over the top. People need to relax a bit. Sure are a lot of angry people who are in need of a hug and a pill. Jesus. I like to take a glance at other boards after hirings and commitments then I always regret it. CTA has a mixed track record with hires, but I am willing to at least see what the offense looks like before I make a judgement. You can normally tell pretty quickly if it's going to work. The key with Indiana's offense is limiting turnovers and three and outs and the ability to make some adjustments. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I don't know enough about which "candidates" were actually contacted or interested in job, but the vitriol coming out after this hire is pretty over the top. People need to relax a bit. Sure are a lot of angry people who are in need of a hug and a pill. Jesus. I like to take a glance at other boards after hirings and commitments then I always regret it. CTA has a mixed track record with hires, but I am willing to at least see what the offense looks like before I make a judgement. You can normally tell pretty quickly if it's going to work. The key will Indiana's offense is always limiting turnovers and three and outs and the ability to make some adjustments. 

I trust Coach Allen and his abilities to find the right coaches. I wouldn’t be surprised if Coach Allen looks for some new position coaches after this hire. He knows how he wants his offense to look and it’s obvious “up tempo and spread”. 

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Fix the OL....coach up a qb. The rest will take care of itself. Can he do that?? I'm not going to pretend I've ever followed this guy. I'll just trust that he has a lot of potential.

Let me dampen your dobber.  He and Hiller both coached, with Allen at Ark. State.  NOBODY'S getting replaced.  This is a disastrous hire.  Allen has verified his unwillingness to leave his comfort zone.  If Dolson allows this to happen, Allen will justifiably be fired sooner than most had expected.  

Just now, Bad Brad said:

Let me dampen your dobber.  He and Hiller both coached, with Allen at Ark. State.  NOBODY'S getting replaced.  This is a disastrous hire.  Allen has verified his unwillingness to leave his comfort zone.  If Dolson allows this to happen, Allen will justifiably be fired sooner than most had expected.  

Sweet Jesus why do you post here? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Bad Brad said:

Well...my expectations for Indiana football are pretty darn low....so I'm not too concerned. If we can make a bowl game every year (basically win 6 games) and sprinkle in a 7 or 8 win season here and there.....I'd be THRILLED. I'm not looking for us to play in a BIG championship game...much less a CFP. Disastrous would be to never win another B1G game....I doubt it will be that bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bad Brad said:

It's posts like this that.........I, I just can't. This is the best response I have for this guy.

Dont Come Back GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t know enough about him to comment one way or another.  He’s still fairly young and has had some nice jobs at a young age.  So some people in power thought enough of him to offer him those jobs.  I like a spread offense, and I like running out of a spread.  

Recruiting will be huge.  Literally everywhere on offense.  

The offensive line is central right now.   I didn’t even like who they lined up last year.   It was questionable.   77 should have been benched long ago.  He had no range at tackle.  They kicked Bedford inside but honestly we have seen him play tackle before and he’d give us more at that spot.  I suppose Haggard, Bedford, Katic and Carpenter come back.  Hopefully Carpenter holds down C.  Katic was leaky but he’s had a lot of experience that he can build on.  We have got young guys like Sales and Benson.   As for recruits, Carter Smith looks like a stud.  Moore is another.  But if you put all this together, we need some veteran additions to make this work.  

If you give an honest assessment, though, nothing on offense went well.  Not much at the skill positions.  Tuttle had some WTF passes that you wouldn’t expect at this level.  McCulley has raw talent but couldn’t really complete a pass at the end of the year.  Third and five felt like third and eighteen.  Williams is a mystery at this level.  Receivers don’t separate.  Matthews and Carr were solid but got hurt.  Hendershot was a stud.   We need a massive influx all over.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

41 minutes ago, DireBump said:

I hope this hire works out, but I really don't like it. I think we could have done better. UMASS was dreadful, and in each of his stops as OC the offense regressed in the 2nd year. Just not sold on this at all. Hopefully I am proved wrong.

If we hired him in 2017 would you have said that? 

I thought Charlie Strong was can't miss at Texas. I thought the same of Mullen. 

I never dreamed it would take Harbaugh this long to compete with OSU. 

I thought Chip Kelly would run the P12 at UCLA. 

I never thought Frost would have trouble in the West. 

So many other hires that haven't worked out at all or certainly not as effective as I thought they'd be. 

I have no clue if WB will work, but I also don't have a very good track record of figuring out what coaches WILL work during their introductory press conference and it doesn't bother me to admit that. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I thought Charlie Strong was can't miss at Texas. I thought the same of Mullen. 

I never dreamed it would take Harbaugh this long to compete with OSU. 

I thought Chip Kelly would run the P12 at UCLA. 

I never thought Frost would have trouble in the West. 

So many other hires that haven't worked out at all or certainly not as effective as I thought they'd be. 

I have no clue if WB will work, but I also don't have a very good track record of figuring out what coaches WILL work during their introductory press conference and it doesn't bother me to admit that. 🤷‍♂️

Great summation 

1 hour ago, DireBump said:

I hope this hire works out, but I really don't like it. I think we could have done better. UMASS was dreadful, and in each of his stops as OC the offense regressed in the 2nd year. Just not sold on this at all. Hopefully I am proved wrong.

In his 2nd year at Maryland, they put 51pts on the board @Texas week 1 of the year. 

They were 12-15 for 220 yards and 2TDs. 43 attempts 265 yards and 4 TDs on the ground. 

They had 18 first downs in that game and avged 8.3 yards per play. 

Then his starting QB went down in that game, then his backup went down. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1