IU set to hire Walt Bell as offensive coordinator.

IU247

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I thought Charlie Strong was can't miss at Texas. I thought the same of Mullen. 

I never dreamed it would take Harbaugh this long to compete with OSU. 

I thought Chip Kelly would run the P12 at UCLA. 

I never thought Frost would have trouble in the West. 

So many other hires that haven't worked out at all or certainly not as effective as I thought they'd be. 

I have no clue if WB will work, but I also don't have a very good track record of figuring out what coaches WILL work during their introductory press conference and it doesn't bother me to admit that. 🤷‍♂️

I keep seeing fans referencing his HC record at UMASS as to why it’s a “bad hire”. I can’t think of a more irrelevant data point. Some coaches are better as coordinators rather than overseeing the entire operation…also, it’s UMASS. All I care about is if he’s able to manage a game and gameplan for upcoming opponents. Hopefully he’s really good at that and recruits buy into his style 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

I keep seeing fans referencing his HC record at UMASS as to why it’s a “bad hire”. I can’t think of a more irrelevant data point. Some coaches are better as coordinators rather than overseeing the entire operation…also, it’s UMASS. All I care about is if he’s able to manage a game and gameplan for upcoming opponents. Hopefully he’s really good at that and recruits buy into his style 

Yeah absolutely don't care what his record was at UMASS lol 

If he was good at UMASS hed be applying for HC jobs, not coordinator jobs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

If we hired him in 2017 would you have said that? 

In 2017 I would have been ecstatic to get rid of Debord; however, after having Deboer as an OC I think there is a lot more potential out there. I hope he does well. This just feels underwhelming. Deboer felt like a great hire a couple years back, and I don't have the same vibes from this hire. We will see how it goes, but I am more optimistic about next season after considering we did get a new OC.

3 hours ago, Bad Brad said:

Let me dampen your dobber.  He and Hiller both coached, with Allen at Ark. State.  NOBODY'S getting replaced.  This is a disastrous hire.  Allen has verified his unwillingness to leave his comfort zone.  If Dolson allows this to happen, Allen will justifiably be fired sooner than most had expected.  

Bell wasn’t at Arkansas State at the same time as Allen.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Some people just aren't happy unless they're in constant misery.

Can't do it, boss. Flat out, I can't live like that. I get so frustrated when I reflect on things and I was unnecessarily negative. 

What purpose does it serve? 

Go Hoosiers

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Can't do it, boss. Flat out, I can't live like that. I just so frustrated when I reflect on things and I was unnecessarily negative. 

What purpose does it serve? 

Go Hoosiers

Most on the The Hoosier and BTB love to hate on all things. Was this the most exciting hire, not at all. But to say it was a bad hire is just being negative. Nothing more, nothing less. We have zero real inside information as to why he was hired and who turned us down. I assume they had a list of people who were interested in the job and went from there. I would love to have the greatest OC out there, that doesn't mean he/she would love to come here. I would love to have another DeBoer, but that's pretty rare. Now let's go get some talent. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Just went over to NlBTB and most over there is ripping the hire.  It is funny how people on a message board can come to a conclusion on who is or not a good hire.

They’re the same ones screaming that Allen needed to be fired. Mostly because they’ve never like him and just want to complain.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I thought that was rivals.  Last year when this site went down vI went over to BTB.  It seemed like a pretty civil site. 

Much like a lot of things these days, the vocal minority aka loud mouths, are the experts on all things. They could be right, could be a bad hire, but they don't really know any more than you or I. Besides about 3 people, every hire would be bad in their minds. The guy is 37 years old for christ's sake, like let's see what he's got. 

13 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Much like a lot of things these days, the vocal minority aka loud mouths, are the experts on all things. They could be right, could be a bad hire, but they don't really know any more than you or I. Besides about 3 people, every hire would be bad in their minds. The guy is 37 years old for christ's sake, like let's see what he's got. 

Why give this guy a chance to destroy the program?? Why “see what he’s got”? Next year is a make or break year, and we don't have time to play around and give previously mediocre coaches a chance. We have all of the other pieces we need to be successful, but if Bell is our OC, we will most likely fail (I’ve posted his numbers below) with our schedule and Allen will be fired if next season is like this one. We would go back to where we were over a decade ago: no belief, no recruits, no good coaches, and no identity. I’m not sitting around another 10 years to get back to where we are now just because everyone wanted to give a mediocre hire a chance. Time is of the essence, and he is not an official hire [yet]. If he becomes official, then sure, I’ll cave. For now though, everyone needs to read the information and speak up.

I’m going to post the same thing here that I did over at BTB.

““He is bad… here’s the best possible information that’s available (and really the only number you need to look at). 

His offensive efficiency numbers by year and team:

2014 - OC - Arkansas St 76th

2015 - OC - Arkansas St 78th

2016 - OC - Maryland 68th

2017- OC - Maryland 70th

2018 - OC - FSU 106th

2019 - HC - UMASS - 128th

2020 - HC - UMASS - 126th

2021 - HC - UMASS - 127th 

For reference, Coach Sheridan sat 104th in efficiency this year. For further comparison, here are the offensive efficiency numbers (from good years) at IU previously: 

DeBoer:

2019 - 17th

Wilson / Kevin Johns / Seth Littrel:

2016 - 53rd

2015 - 27th

2014 - 71st

2013 - 20th

2012 - 49th

The numbers from former IU coaches are the numbers we know we need to compete in the B1G, and Bell is nowhere near them. I know Bell did great things with the rushing game at Maryland, or the passing game at FSU (think they finished top 2 in ACC that year), but his offenses still stunk. You can have all the stats that you want, but if your offense isn’t efficient, can't convert on 3rd down, stay on the field, win the turnover battle, or score when needed, then what good are stats?? 

Hopefully something changes in the next (24 hours!)”” 

I will also say this: there are not three people I could think of for this role. There are about 12-15, including Seth Littrel OR even Kevin Johns. This is just a flat out bad hire if it goes through. 

Edited by htownbound

3 minutes ago, htownbound said:

Why give this guy a chance to destroy the program?? Why “see what he’s got”? Next year is a make or break year, and we don't have time to play around and give previously mediocre coaches a chance. We have all of the other pieces we need to be successful, but if Bell is our OC, we will most likely fail (I’ve posted his numbers below) with our schedule and Allen will be fired if next season is like this one. We would go back to where we were over a decade ago: no belief, no recruits, no good coaches, and no identity. I’m not sitting around another 10 years to get back to where we are now just because everyone wanted to give a mediocre hire a chance. Time is of the essence, and he is not an official hire [yet]. If he becomes official, then sure, I’ll cave. For now though, everyone needs to read the information and speak up.

I’m going to post the same thing here that I did over at BTB.

““He is bad… here’s the best possible information that’s available (and really the only number you need to look at). 

His offensive efficiency numbers by year and team:

2014 - OC - Arkansas St 76th

2015 - OC - Arkansas St 78th

2016 - OC - Maryland 68th

2017- OC - Maryland 70th

2018 - OC - FSU 106th

2019 - HC - UMASS - 128th

2020 - HC - UMASS - 126th

2021 - HC - UMASS - 127th 

For reference, Coach Sheridan sat 84th in efficiency this year. For further comparison, here are the offensive efficiency numbers (from good years) at IU previously: 

DeBoer:

2019 - 17th

Wilson / Kevin Johns / Seth Littrel:

2016 - 53rd

2015 - 27th

2014 - 71st

2013 - 20th

2012 - 49th

The numbers from former IU coaches are the numbers we know we need to compete in the B1G, and Bell is nowhere near them. I know Bell did great things with the rushing game at Maryland, or the passing game at FSU (think they finished top 2 in ACC that year), but his offenses still stunk. You can have all the stats that you want, but if your offense isn’t efficient, can't convert on 3rd down, stay on the field, win the turnover battle, or score when needed, then what good are stats?? 

Hopefully something changes in the next (24 hours!)”” 

I will also say this: there are not three people I could think of for this role. There are about 12-15, including Seth Littrel OR even Kevin Johns. This is just a flat out bad hire if it goes through. 

If you found a stat that we weren't above 100 in, offensively this past season, then that's a bad stat. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

If you found a stat that we weren't above 100 in, offensively this past season, then that's a bad stat. 

Lol - no it’s not. Efficiency is one of the best ways to judge the effectiveness of a coach. If you don’t believe me, look at Kane Wommack last year - who had a defense ranked 4th in efficiency.