IU set to hire Walt Bell as offensive coordinator.

IU247

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I agree it takes hard work but it is up to the player and not coaching.  I am talking the elite shooters and I doubt players like Curry ate great shooters because of a coach.

Yes his father coached him up from New born on. A coach is not just the guy on the sideline. I work with lots of kids that could not throw it in the ocean and have turned them into pretty good shooters.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yes his father coached him up from New born on. A coach is not just the guy on the sideline. I work with lots of kids that could not throw it in the ocean and have turned them into pretty good shooters.

My son took the curry masterclass, fun class online.  He talks about what it took going from a two hand shooter to a one hand.  Because of coaching and self determination that transition, which was at a latter duration than many elite shooters helped him out.  

• Like 2

I’ll just say as a stat guy if you look at the numbers this hire doesn’t really move the needle for me.  However, let’s look at recruiting first, additional transfers as a 1b, and then maybe actually see some games first next year before making a final determination.  I also wonder if this hire being less flashy means this guy will stay for a few years.  That has to be something worth considering as this team not only needs some new offensive blood but maybe someone that if successful might stay a year or two extra.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

You’re hilarious!!!! I have zero desire to do Twitter, Facebook, Titok or Instagram..lol

I just like to look for nuggets of info. This is my only choice of social media. 🤓🧐

I whole heartedly second this opinion, and have the same practices when it comes to social media. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I whole heartedly second this opinion, and have the same practices when it comes to social media. 

You can download the app and utilize it just for information. I don't have IG or TikTok and deleted FB app off my phone. I have 7 friends on snap chat lol 

I'm the 30 year old version of you guys. 

• Like 1

Watching the introductory press conference.  First question, he mentions how he and Coach Allen had to get to know each other.  

Puts to rest the ignorant criticism that Allen only hires guys he knows.  DeBoer, Warren, Bell.  These guys were hardly his close buddies.  

That criticism was always ignorant and just reflects people grasping at straws to attack Allen.  

The season wasn’t great.  But Allen absolutely knows football and has a good football mind.  He demands a certain type of personnel and he goes out and gets those guys, and better than we’ve ever done here.  He also has a good mind on what schemes he can have success with on both sides of the ball.  

When he got Bell, he had a certain vision in mind and he executed on it.  

The criticism of Allen as a bumbling guy is completely stupid and ignorant.  

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Watching the introductory press conference.  First question, he mentions how he and Coach Allen had to get to know each other.  

Puts to rest the ignorant criticism that Allen only hires guys he knows.  DeBoer, Warren, Bell.  These guys were hardly his close buddies.  

That criticism was always ignorant and just reflects people grasping at straws to attack Allen.  

The season wasn’t great.  But Allen absolutely knows football and has a good football mind.  He demands a certain type of personnel and he goes out and gets those guys, and better than we’ve ever done here.  He also has a good mind on what schemes he can have success with on both sides of the ball.  

When he got Bell, he had a certain vision in mind and he executed on it.  

The criticism of Allen as a bumbling guy is completely stupid and ignorant.  

I will also add, he won in the personality game.  Night and day from past press conferences.  Can see where he can be a positive recruiter.  Said the correct statements, and was honest.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/6/2021 at 1:57 PM, Bad Brad said:

Let me dampen your dobber.  He and Hiller both coached, with Allen at Ark. State.  NOBODY'S getting replaced.  This is a disastrous hire.  Allen has verified his unwillingness to leave his comfort zone.  If Dolson allows this to happen, Allen will justifiably be fired sooner than most had expected.  

Some owe this dude an apology. lol Pretty spot on. 

On 12/6/2021 at 3:23 PM, DireBump said:

I hope this hire works out, but I really don't like it. I think we could have done better. UMASS was dreadful, and in each of his stops as OC the offense regressed in the 2nd year. Just not sold on this at all. Hopefully I am proved wrong.

Fired in his 2nd year. Just disappointing. I want this program to succeed so bad, but this hire has always been questionable. We can do better. I don't care if they have less experience, just find me someone who year after year, has improved an offense. Don't think Rod Carey is necessarily the answer beyond this season either, but we will see. 

IU needs continuity…I’d prefer an offensive minded head coach that even if we lose some assistants can still keep things headed in the right direction. Obviously not an Andy Reid but you catch my drift. Lots of assistant coaches under him but the genius stays in the building even if the assistants get promoted elsewhere (which is what you want).

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

IU needs continuity…I’d prefer an offensive minded head coach that even if we lose some assistants can still keep things headed in the right direction. Obviously not an Andy Reid but you catch my drift. Lots of assistant coaches under him but the genius stays in the building even if the assistants get promoted elsewhere (which is what you want).

Which has always been the problem and why it would be great for Allen to work out. Who is going to stay at IU as HC after success when the big boys come calling…basically nobody unless they have ties to the state like Allen