Wisconsin Postgame Thread

KDB

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This loss is 100% on the coaching staff. It has nothing to do with subbing. The bench played fine for a stretch, and without that bogus travel call on Durr we probably win. 

This is on the staff because our offense was a joke the entire 2nd half. It was slow, plodding, unimaginative and simple, and what was the worst was that it never changed. 

All we had was the same high ball screen action or going to TJD on the right block and it didn't work and never changed for 20 minutes. 

I have to assume that the staff told XJ to walk the ball up the court the entire second half, because he usually doesn't do that. 

Archie Miller would be embarrassed by how terrible and unimaginative our offense was in rhe 2nd half. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up on this staff or team, but you know what you're talking about and I trust your analysis. 

Even with what you pointed out I have more faith that this staff will improve and make adjustments than the last one. I 🤞

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up on this staff or team, but you know what you're talking about and I trust your analysis. 

Even with what you pointed out I have more faith that this staff will improve and make adjustments than the last one. I 🤞

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bailing on this staff or anything. I think we have a great coaching staff. This was just one game. 

But in this one game, the coaches were terrible in the 2nd half. 

• Like 2

Just now, BGleas said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bailing on this staff or anything. I think we have a great coaching staff. This was just one game. 

But in this one game, the coaches were terrible in the 2nd half. 

They were. So were the players. It was really disheartening that no one stepped up and made a play, hit a shot, got a stop, etc.

Just now, KoB2011 said:

They were. So were the players. It was really disheartening that no one stepped up and made a play, hit a shot, got a stop, etc.

Oh yeah, I don't mean to let the players off the hook. While our core guys don't have a ton of experience together, it's still a very veteran group, yet we looked like a bunch of young guys in the 2nd half. 

I'm usually more of a "players need to play" guy than blaming the coach, but I thought it was pretty clear early in the 2nd half that we were playing slow and stagnant offensively and nobody on the bench did anything about it the entire time. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Oh yeah, I don't mean to let the players off the hook. While our core guys don't have a ton of experience together, it's still a very veteran group, yet we looked like a bunch of young guys in the 2nd half. 

I'm usually more of a "players need to play" guy than blaming the coach, but I thought it was pretty clear early in the 2nd half that we were playing slow and stagnant offensively and nobody on the bench did anything about it the entire time. 

I agree. X got his third early in the second half and we got really stagnant - I wish we'd have kept him in and tried to put them away. I understand sitting a guy with foul trouble, but I thought it was a crucial stretch to extend the lead there and if we do extend it, we wouldn't have needed him later. X had been great to that point and when he came back in the game was slipping and he really forced things. 

• Like 2

I think the frustrating part is having to always say “that first half gave us a glimpse of how good we can be”, or “we can learn from this”…. I want those glimpses to be the new norm and not have to keep saying something bad can be a learning experience. It’s crazy to see how really really good we can be but then throw it all away in a matter of 20 minutes. Hopefully the staff can figure out how to get these guys to lock in for a full game. If you think about it, pretty much this whole team isn’t used to winning at the college level…X from Pitt, Kopp at Northwestern, and then obviously everyone else who stayed from the Archie years never made the tournament. Everyone still needs to learn how to win at a high level. Tough part about it is how you teach that and get them to stray away from what they’ve been used to for years. There are plenty of players I enjoy on this roster and think are good players but I’ll bet you that most of the things that frustrate us will be gone once our entire roster is made up of kids Woodson and Co recruit themselves right out of high school.
   It was good to see the turnover numbers go way down, but I wish the players themselves had the “refuse to lose” warrior mentality. We’ve gotta stop getting soft. The season is still young and we have plenty of time to figure it out. I’d just like to think a bad half at Syracuse would have already taught us to not play the type of half we did tonight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Always love people drawing their lines in the sand on our staff. Duly noted for a couple regular posters on here. It was a bad 2nd half. All the way around....but some of the emotional comments on here?? Game 8 or 9 and Woodson sucks too?? Some of you guys need to be better.

Just to be clear again, as I already noted this, I'm not down on the staff at all. They were terrible in the 2nd half and it cost us the game, but it’s just one game. 

They're open to criticism just like the players. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Always love people drawing their lines in the sand on our staff. Duly noted for a couple regular posters on here. It was a bad 2nd half. All the way around....but some of the emotional comments on here?? Game 8 or 9 and Woodson sucks too?? Some of you guys need to be better.

I'm not concerned personally, an away game in the Kohl Center as much as I hate Wisconsin isn't easy. I remember when Wisconsin was IUs bitch, didn't lose to them for about 30 years. I just want the ratio back but there is something about that place. 

Karma I guess, if UW didn't eff up IU would have never had RMK. 

Bobby gets fired, UW owns us. 

Bobby Knight was and is an enigma. But I have faith in Woody. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

Not much to add that has not already been said. I really thought we had that game in the bag, even considering at 42-20 that Wisconsin would inevitably make a run and tighten our pipes a bit. I am with BGleas on the lack of coaching adjustments in the 2nd half. We scored 17 freaking points in that half and spent the final few minutes with X playing hero ball as best as I can tell and failing repeatedly.

All that being said, I've cooled off and I think this team and staff will continue to improve and grow but damn if tonight wasn't the most frustrating thing I've witnessed in a while. 

Also, beer helps. 🍻

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

Not much to add that has not already been said. I really thought we had that game in the bag, even considering at 42-20 that Wisconsin would inevitably make a run and tighten our pipes a bit. I am with BGleas on the lack of coaching adjustments in the 2nd half. We scored 17 freaking points in that half and spent the final few minutes with X playing hero ball as best as I can tell and failing repeatedly.

All that being said, I've cooled off and I think this team and staff will continue to improve and grow but damn if tonight wasn't the most frustrating thing I've witnessed in a while. 

Also, beer helps. 🍻

Spot on. I will add, it's time to start Bates and give Lander more run. 

Well Trace still has little if instinct to go to his right hand. Kopp can't guard me and I'm 50.

Criticism for the coaching would be the NBA style of having 5 non starters on the floor at one time. 

Wisconsin is not a more talented team than us but they are steady. 

One positive, Durr and Geronimo appear to be capable against lesser athletic bigs. 

I don't know if it's a positive but we are noticeably better with Johnson on the floor. We will l8ve and die with how he plays. 

It's a very difficult and gut wrenching learning experience for all of us with this group. This and the Cuse game shown that on the road we CAN be very good and hopefully that translates to us being able to play complete games at home.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Anybody know who Tyra Buss was rooting for tonight?   :coffee:

I was rooting for her boyfriend to get punched in the face.  Dirty player and a$$hole. 

I get what you all are saying about Johnson and I agree, he forced too much.  However, I would want that guy to have my back in a fight.  He fouled bride of Frankenstein exactly like I would have at the end of that game.  He was at least fighting to win.

Painful loss.  But, seeking to identify the good.  

Baby steps 

1.  IU played the best basketball I’ve seen for years, in the first half

2.  Mike Woodson, although not his best in the second half, walked down the bench giving X an earful as he was subbed out, TWICE.  Thus, I didn’t think Woodson was aloof to his struggles, but gambled he was best chance to lead us to a win

3.  HSN family: I am as restless as the rest of you, but do believe a full season of Woodson’s leadership will have us improving as the year goes on, but EVENTUALLY to walk out of the basketball purgatory to which we now have a membership card, WE NEED TO BEGIN WINNING games such as we’ve lost this season.  

image.gif.8d590030bb9ad00435aa168f1d5fe164.gif

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, ba43056 said:

Well Trace still has little if instinct to go to his right hand. Kopp can't guard me and I'm 50.

Criticism for the coaching would be the NBA style of having 5 non starters on the floor at one time. 

Wisconsin is not a more talented team than us but they are steady. 

One positive, Durr and Geronimo appear to be capable against lesser athletic bigs. 

I don't know if it's a positive but we are noticeably better with Johnson on the floor. We will l8ve and die with how he plays. 

It's a very difficult and gut wrenching learning experience for all of us with this group. This and the Cuse game shown that on the road we CAN be very good and hopefully that translates to us being able to play complete games at home.

This was a net positive 

• Like 1

What todays IU players need to understand and adapt to. Other big ten players and schools do not love you. They all pretty much hate you for wearing that IU jersey. Not just other schools but also commentators across the Big and the country. Go back and listen to the tone of Revsine and Bartow in the first half when IU was dominating and then listen to the tone when IU was sucking in the second half. Hell they were blatantly rooting for the badgers. These players need to find the bad ass in them and develop the us against the world mentality. Other schools and people get great joy from an IU loss. Time to become the Grinch and steel and take away their joy.   

• Like 1

I am just as frustrated as the next fan, but as a high school soccer coach I know how inconsistent players can be. I saw someone say they are athletes they should know to step on their throat and end the game. I wish it was that simple but stuff is always changing.

I am not giving up on Woody and company. This loss stings but I have faith they will bounce back.

But I also defended Archie for about a year too long. So take that for what it is worth.

Go Hoosiers!

• Like 5