Wisconsin Postgame Thread

KDB

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, we did keep running the same pick and roll with Trayce and X over and over... Wisconsin isn't a stupid team...they caught on and defended it well...

They covered TJD well and allowed XJ to go by and just force him into terrible shot after terrible shot.  

They knew he didn't have the maturity or iq to make the right decision with the ball.  

• Like 3

I think CMW got caught waiting for the 8 minute TV TO to get starters back in, and it cost us. I also can’t believe that KL hasn’t seen a minute of floor time in the last 2 games, especially in the second half in this game when our PG play was awful. Kinda bizarre, but i guess he’s just terrible in practice or something. Really bummed that he’s not getting any action. 

Ugly, ugly loss, but still plenty of things to build on from this game. 

• Like 1

Guys these are 19/20 year old kids. They are inconsistent. Half this lineup has played 8 games together. Sure we would love Xavier to value the ball like Rob but then we cry that Rob doesn’t attack. Wisky was smart. Doubling Trayce has worked almost every time running a digger late. It takes him out of his rhythm in the game. It was smart move. We need to get him the ball deepe on the block.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Without Xavier we don’t build up a 20 pt lead…same kid in the second half just the last 5 mins he didn’t finish well at all. We came out flat in second half thinking we already won the game. We never strung two baskets together the whole second half. We lost our intensity. Didn’t matter who we put in that didn’t change. Funny enough but Durr and Geronimo gave us some good minutes. Clock struck midnight and our guys turned into a pumpkin. Xavier, Race, TJD missed point blank looks that any one or two salts the game away. Very disappointing for sure. Hate losing to Wisky and their officials.

But X needs to be more consistent and I'm not sure he's got that in him...

The first half is what we can be...the second, unfortunately, is what we are...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Woodson should have recognized that Johnson was imploding in the second half and tried other options. He was a black hole. His endless terrible shots down the stretch were essentially turnovers. Time to give Lander the ball at times and get this kid experience moving forward. Can't see how he would be worse than what I saw from X and Rob tonight. Together there were 5/20 from the field...2/8 from the line.  It's been a while since I've been this angry after a game!!

You are so right.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Find something else to do.  You missed 19 great play  in the first half. Players came out trying not to lose instead of putting their foot on their throats.

And who’s that on Scott?! Who’s supposed to tell them to put foots on the throat?! THEY ARE BIG BOYS!!! IT’S COMMON SENSE AS AN ATHLETE TO PUT FOOTS ON THE THROAT WHEN YOU’RE UP!!! THEY SHOWED THEY’RE NOT COMPETITORS!! QUIT MAKING EXCUSES! This team is soft!! 

Stepping back from the ledge some, and looking at this game the Hoosiers did some good things in it. They cut down on the turnovers and came out strong, now they need to learn to play a complete game, they lost their intensity in the second half. Xavier is going to be frustrating at times, Wisconsin started going on their run when he picked up his third and the end of the game he played out of control at times. Coach Woodson needs to reign him in when plays out of control because the Hoosiers need him to win.

• Like 2

I don't mind criticism when warranted and tonight they deserve it.  What I don't like is when those doing the criticism isn't around when we are playing well.  Also the people saying they are done with this team, good because we don't need fans like this.  I have been a fan for all of my life(51) and will never stop. I hate losing as much as anyone but the drama queens on social media is embarrassing.

Also the ones that criticizing Johnson must have missed the first half when he had 8-5-6

I need a break and for this team to give me a reason to believe. And I’m not talking about halves of basketball (2nd half against Cuse and the 1st half tonight). I’m talking results. And it’s no more evident that we’re closer to that than it was in the last 5 years under CAM. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 1

I know these are young guys. And I don’t want to berate them. I also think that Coach is learning the college ropes. 
But

I am surprised that besides the flaws in his game, XJ also has a bad attitude and seems to be one play away from a technical at any time. Am I the only one seeing this?

Edited by Rev_AK
  • Like 4

Just now, Bushmage said:

Woody said in the post game it "didnt even cross his mind" to get KL in the game.

With how Rob and especially XJ were playing, I find this to be extremely problematic. You have to adjust when XJ is shooting like that.

Confusing especially when KL was thrown into the fire @ Syracuse with 5 minutes left after not playing the entirety of the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

But X needs to be more consistent and I'm not sure he's got that in him...

The first half is what we can be...the second, unfortunately, is what we are...

It is? I think both halves are what we are. Case in point this was just the Syracuse game reversed. We’ve had some really good ball followed by some poor ball. This team has a higher ceiling than last years because we can actually shoot the ball a little bit and we attack the paint better and get out in transition. We will figure it out you guys will see. I’m not saying a final four of course or anything but this is a tournament team.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

Woody said in the post game it "didnt even cross his mind" to get KL in the game.

With how Rob and especially XJ were playing, I find this to be extremely problematic. You have to adjust when XJ is shooting like that.

That's extremely disappointing to me...Woody can't be stubborn about this...Coach Knight sure as hell wouldn't be...you played poorly, you'd sit... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

And who’s that on Scott?! Who’s supposed to tell them to put foots on the throat?! THEY ARE BIG BOYS!!! IT’S COMMON SENSE AS AN ATHLETE TO PUT FOOTS ON THE THROAT WHEN YOU’RE UP!!! THEY SHOWED THEY’RE NOT COMPETITORS!! QUIT MAKING EXCUSES! This team is soft!! 

You can lead lead the horse to the water but can't make them drink it.  Effort is all on the players and the coach shouldn't have to coach effort.

• Confused 1