Kristian Lander

I know that I can’t speak for everyone here, but Xavier and Rob are hurting this team’s growth. Meanwhile, Kristian Lander is not seeing any minutes unless injury or foul trouble occurs. Personally, I think Lander is a better option moving forward. I believe we’ve seen X and Rob's ceiling, and it’s abysmal. There was absolutely no way XJ should’ve been out there the last few minutes. He and Rob look lost whenever they get slowed down and have to run the offense in a half court set. 

Honestly, I trust Woody and have no idea why Lander doesn’t see much floor time. Perhaps it’s a practice thing. But I don’t think he’s going to gain any confidence without getting consistent minutes. Maybe X is better coming off the bench, and Rob used sparingly? I don’t know, but that second half should make our staff sick to their stomachs… it did me. Just an awful overall performance. 

18 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I know that I can’t speak for everyone here, but Xavier and Rob are hurting this team’s growth. Meanwhile, Kristian Lander is not seeing any minutes unless injury or foul trouble occurs. Personally, I think Lander is a better option moving forward. I believe we’ve seen X and Rob's ceiling, and it’s abysmal. There was absolutely no way XJ should’ve been out there the last few minutes. He and Rob look lost whenever they get slowed down and have to run the offense in a half court set. 

Honestly, I trust Woody and have no idea why Lander doesn’t see much floor time. Perhaps it’s a practice thing. But I don’t think he’s going to gain any confidence without getting consistent minutes. Maybe X is better coming off the bench, and Rob used sparingly? I don’t know, but that second half should make our staff sick to their stomachs… it did me. Just an awful overall performance. 

Well Johnson ceiling is pretty high if he says lime he did on the first half 8-5-6

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

I wonder why all the hate for Xavier. We base too much emphasis in shooting g %.

If he shot a better %, we would suddenly think wlhe eas our new Isaaih Thomas.

Assist to turnover was fine. He shot poorly. That happens.

And then there were the "decisions" behind those shots...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

That's fair. It is so tough to be fair minded right now. It is so frustrating.

It is...but someone else said it in the post game thread...those one-handed scoop shots that missed badly were as bad as turnovers, and I'm sure none of us think X should be shooting the ball 16 times on this team...

As Coach Woody says (and I hope enforces) "just run the team." 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It is...but someone else said it in the post game thread...those one-handed scoop shots that missed badly were as bad as turnovers, and I'm sure none of us think X should be shooting the ball 16 times on this team...

As Coach Woody says (and I hope enforces) "just run the team." 

Fair. I did not watch the game. I was teavelling for work. So I am going g from the box score, which can be misleading. 

43 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I wonder why all the hate for Xavier. We base too much emphasis in shooting g %.

If he shot a better %, we would suddenly think wlhe eas our new Isaaih Thomas.

Assist to turnover was fine. He shot poorly. That happens.

100%

And all three of his turnovers were bad calls.

X got frustrated with some bad calls and frankly, with his teammates for playing timid so he forced things. I'd much rather that than the guys who played timid, especially with a guy as talented and athletic as he is. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

100%

And all three of his turnovers were bad calls.

X got frustrated with some bad calls and frankly, with his teammates for playing timid so he forced things. I'd much rather that than the guys who played timid, especially with a guy as talented and athletic as he is. 

I see it this way too. While he wasn't perfect or great, it looked to me like the refs, his teammates and his coaches let him down. 

Our offense was so stagnant the last 20 minutes. Somebody had to try and make something happen. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I think X is absolutely critical to the success of this team.  We will go only as far as his play allows.

Rob, however.  I don't get it.  My eyes tell me that Lander out-performs Rob when given the opportunity.  And, by a significant margin.  

I see the same thing with Lander out-performing Phinisee.  I think Phinisee is just damaged goods at this point and should be behind Xavier, Stewart, Bates, Lander and Leal imo.

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

All I have to say on this subject is we dont watch him practice every day. If CMW ISNT PLAYING SOMEONE HE HAS A REASON. Coach talked about Leal holding his own in practice and now is getting a few mins.

Well if Phinisee is practicing well, it isn't translating into good game play.  At some point in time you would think that you would want guys on the floor that give you the best chance to win regardless of how they perform in practice.  But as you said, Woody has his reasons.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

I see it this way too. While he wasn't perfect or great, it looked to me like the refs, his teammates and his coaches let him down. 

Our offense was so stagnant the last 20 minutes. Somebody had to try and make something happen. 

Was it not refreshing to see x chase that guy down block his shot and foul the crap out of him?  No sense in fouling if you're still going to let them get up an easy shot with a ticky tack.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

That is the biggest thing this team is missing IMO.  We don't have a go to guy that you can rely on to go and get you a basket when you need one.  

I think the thing that we are all going to be disappointed with at the end of the year is how many careers here were wasted because we made an abysmal hire after Crean left.  Trayce and Race still have trouble at the front of the rim.  Rob is still content to dribble around without really looking to do anything and his shot is just broke.   Our All American shrank from competition last night and that has happened repeatedly over his career when facing big guys who are allowed to body him.  If TJD or Race are in front of the bucket and have to shoulder into a guy to try and get a shot, they miss that 7 out of 10 times.  Just throwing it up there hoping for a foul call.  

Be disappointed in Johnson's decisions, I am quite often.  However, we have several multi year guys on this team, including a pre-season All American candidate, who let a bunch of stiffs push them around last night.  "That's a pretty good Wisconsin team..."  If you say so.  Color me wholly unimpressed.  They are a 1 and done tournament team.  Their hall of calls will allow them a low seed in the first round.  If they end up as a 6-8 seed, I could see them bowing out first round.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That is the biggest thing this team is missing IMO.  We don't have a go to guy that you can rely on to go and get you a basket when you need one.  

I think the thing that we are all going to be disappointed with at the end of the year is how many careers here were wasted because we made an abysmal hire after Crean left.  Trayce and Race still have trouble at the front of the rim.  Rob is still content to dribble around without really looking to do anything and his shot is just broke.   Our All American shrank from competition last night and that has happened repeatedly over his career when facing big guys who are allowed to body him.  If TJD or Race are in front of the bucket and have to shoulder into a guy to try and get a shot, they miss that 7 out of 10 times.  Just throwing it up there hoping for a foul call.  

Be disappointed in Johnson's decisions, I am quite often.  However, we have several multi year guys on this team, including a pre-season All American candidate, who let a bunch of stiffs push them around last night.  "That's a pretty good Wisconsin team..."  If you say so.  Color me wholly unimpressed.  They are a 1 and done tournament team.  Their hall of calls will allow them a low seed in the first round.  If they end up as a 6-8 seed, I could see them bowing out first round.

I agree with a lot of what you said there. This team is really missing an athletic wing and a "get buckets" guard. The roster still doesn't have that and hasn't had that since Yogi's last year with Yogi obviously as the lead guard that could take over as well as a guy like Troy Williams (who was really good that year) who was a nightmare on the wing. 

As far as TJD and Race, they're both obviously having great years, but it looks like all the talk about getting them to be able to knock down open shots was lip service. Race hasn't improved whatsoever in terms of perimeter shooting, and while TJD has hit 2-3 midrange jumpers, he's not really looking for that shot at all. Last night would have been the perfect example of a game that could have been different in the 2nd half if either of those guys could make, or had the confidence to take perimeter shots. 

That was the perfect matchup for TJD to get into position to hit some jumpers to open up the spacing and force that big guy to come out and guard him. Instead he just kept banging his head against the wall in the post. 

To be clear, I'm 100% onboard with the coaching staff. I think we're good there, but last night was not a good night for them, and a lot of the improvement we talk about with TJD is just more about effort, energy and experience than anything he's really improved skill wise. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Sorry @Danomatic, I helped derail your thread.   :(

All good. Just aggravating watching them throw away a good opportunity. I don’t think that I’d be so frustrated if they weren’t up by as much as they were. If IU were to lose by five in Madison, and I didn’t watch the game… I’d chalk it up as another L on the road. It was how they lost that has everyone so fired up.

• Like 3