Kristian Lander

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

I think KL got screwed by Archie. People forget that this truly should be KL's freshman year. Are we having the same conversation if we didnt see him last year and he was a freshman?

Probably.  If he was a 5* coming in as a freshman and getting no minutes and the coach says i didn't even think about putting KL in.  We would probably be discussing what is KL doing wrong and how bad he must be in practice. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Probably.  If he was a 5* coming in as a freshman and getting no minutes and the coach says i didn't even think about putting KL in.  We would probably be discussing what is KL doing wrong and how bad he must be in practice. 

Maybe so. But people need to stop getting all wrapped in the 5*. 

I watched the game last night and at no point did i think.... "you know what would fix this... Lander"

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

If he hadn’t reclassified, and last spring Archie had a 5 star on the way, who had just finished up a great Senior year of high school, does he still get fired ? 

2 minutes ago, Boiler Sam said:

If he hadn’t reclassified, and last spring Archie had a 5 star on the way, who had just finished up a great Senior year of high school, does he still get fired ? 

I'd say yes...But would KL have stuck by his commitment? I don't know...seems like it might have been easier to decommit before he ever got here than enter the transfer portal after establishing relationships with the team and all...

5 hours ago, rico said:

Well if Phinisee is practicing well, it isn't translating into good game play.  At some point in time you would think that you would want guys on the floor that give you the best chance to win regardless of how they perform in practice.  But as you said, Woody has his reasons.

CMW is from the Knight school. If you aren't good in practice you aren't getting in the game.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Was it not refreshing to see x chase that guy down block his shot and foul the crap out of him?  No sense in fouling if you're still going to let them get up an easy shot with a ticky tack.

That was such a phenomenal play. As violent as his arm motion was, he got all ball. He fouled him because he elevated so high his legs where into a guy trying to dunks back. 

• Like 1

Prior to the last game, CMW “announced” that RP would be the PG option (back up)moving forward. KL did not get any time vs Nebraska and had his warm-ups on the whole game. He also did not even get out of warm-ups at all last night, and CMW said he wasn’t even an “option “ or something to that effect. Is it possible that KL could be in some kind of trouble for breaking some kind of internal policy? Or maybe nursing an injury that is being kept on the down low? Seems like it is disciplinary vs based on ability to me.

Edited by Rev_AK

14 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It is...but someone else said it in the post game thread...those one-handed scoop shots that missed badly were as bad as turnovers, and I'm sure none of us think X should be shooting the ball 16 times on this team...

As Coach Woody says (and I hope enforces) "just run the team." 

What about the misses where he draws the opponents bigs that Race and Trayce get easy peasy put backs on....or rather also MISS easy peasy put backs on. Those misses are as good as assists in my book. Don't get me wrong...he played far from a perfect half of basketball. I have more of a problem with the lost dribble out of bounds towards the end and missing the free throws in crunch time....but I don't have ONE OUNCE of problem with an attacking point guard putting PRESSURE on a defense. If Lander can do that as well as Xavier and can defend...then by all means let the kid play (I doubt it at this point). Rob on the other hand is a steady hand. Plays good defense but does nothing offensively for you basically....doesn't break down a defense, doesn't attack the rim, doesn't knock down shots....he just doesn't really turn over the ball either. He is actually a fine counter balance to Xavier when he gets a little out of control. We just didn't finish well last night. We blew some easy chances, got screwed per usual on some phantom and no calls, and then choked away at the line....you take the good with the bad with Xavier imo...which is what this thread is really about. KL not playing is on KL performance in practice and in the games so far. There has been some flashes of good....but mostly he just isn't ready for major minutes. I think we should look for times to get him 4-5 minutes in the first half and maybe a few minutes in the second and if he plays well extend those during the game...but I'm not seeing anything that suggests he will fix the issues that has caused us to drop these two winnable games.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What about the misses where he draws the opponents bigs that Race and Trayce get easy peasy put backs on....or rather also MISS easy peasy put backs on. Those misses are as good as assists in my book. Don't get me wrong...he played far from a perfect half of basketball. I have more of a problem with the lost dribble out of bounds towards the end and missing the free throws in crunch time....but I don't have ONE OUNCE of problem with an attacking point guard putting PRESSURE on a defense. If Lander can do that as well as Xavier and can defend...then by all means let the kid play (I doubt it at this point). Rob on the other hand is a steady hand. Plays good defense but does nothing offensively for you basically....doesn't break down a defense, doesn't attack the rim, doesn't knock down shots....he just doesn't really turn over the ball either. He is actually a fine counter balance to Xavier when he gets a little out of control. We just didn't finish well last night. We blew some easy chances, got screwed per usual on some phantom and no calls, and then choked away at the line....you take the good with the bad with Xavier imo...which is what this thread is really about. KL not playing is on KL performance in practice and in the games so far. There has been some flashes of good....but mostly he just isn't ready for major minutes. I think we should look for times to get him 4-5 minutes in the first half and maybe a few minutes in the second and if he plays well extend those during the game...but I'm not seeing anything that suggests he will fix the issues that has caused us to drop these two winnable games.

I'm glad someone brought this up finally. If some on this board don't value the ability for a guard to break the defense down off the dribble, idk what to tell them. XJ is vital to what we do offensively. For sure he wasn't perfect, but shit at least he was willing to attack. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

But I did think..."why not give Lander a shot?"

I'm not against him...I'd like to see him get a little run here and there. I want everyone playing and happy and helping us....but the reason's we have struggled this year at times and lost games are not things KL would actually help us with. We have lost and struggled because of 3 main things. Turnovers (not a KL strength we all agree here), offensive rebounding (no help), and free throws (he's a good free throw shooter but if he can't help us with the others he isn't going to be on the floor to help with that). Couple that with the fact he is our 3rd best defensive point guard....how exactly is he going to get on the floor??? 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I'm glad someone brought this up finally. If some on this board don't value the ability for a guard to break the defense down off the dribble, idk what to tell them. XJ is vital to what we do offensively. For sure he wasn't perfect, but shit at least he was willing to attack. 

I'm not going to call people out....but some of us that have played point guard our whole lives...just see basketball a different way then others. Doesn't make our opinions wrong or right or maybe all see it the same etc etc...but I'm certain point guards simply see the game in a different manner. If I can't keep my man in front of me and I'm needing help it destroys what we are trying to do defensively. I also know that when I'm aggressive and getting to the rim I don't always have to score or even make all my shots to have a positive effect. Now you have to be under control and you certainly have to use discretion but we've been asking for someone to do this for 4 years with Rob out there...and we finally have someone and we are crying about it. Sure I'd like to execute a couple more of those and I REALLY would like Race Thompson to figure out how to finish a put back...but how many layups and easy looks did he and Trayce get towards the end but also couldn't finish. The back breakers were the missed put backs, missed free throws, and some missed calls at the end.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What about the misses where he draws the opponents bigs that Race and Trayce get easy peasy put backs on....or rather also MISS easy peasy put backs on.

That's fine, and I'll take those, but you also have to differentiate between a shot or a pass that is successful and something that occurs because of happenstance... Did Wisconsin win the game by putting up questionable shots and hoping for an offensive rebound? No, they won because they executed good plays, made smart passes, and hit shots under duress...

47 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I'm not going to call people out....but some of us that have played point guard our whole lives...just see basketball a different way then others. Doesn't make our opinions wrong or right or maybe all see it the same etc etc...but I'm certain point guards simply see the game in a different manner. If I can't keep my man in front of me and I'm needing help it destroys what we are trying to do defensively. I also know that when I'm aggressive and getting to the rim I don't always have to score or even make all my shots to have a positive effect. Now you have to be under control and you certainly have to use discretion

And I think that's all that anyone who has been critical of XJ's game in the 2nd half is saying...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

That's fine, and I'll take those, but you also have to differentiate between a shot or a pass that is successful and something that occurs because of happenstance... Did Wisconsin win the game by putting up questionable shots and hoping for an offensive rebound? No, they won because they executed good plays, made smart passes, and hit shots under duress...

And I think that's all that anyone who has been critical of XJ's game in the 2nd half is saying...

It isn't the point guards fault when a switch happens on a PnR and the big can't seem to get open or get in position for a rebound... that's on the big.

And there are plenty going beyond that with XJ... it's silly. 

Edited by KoB2011

I have watched the Wisc game twice now. TJD missed some early shots and was getting doubled hard by bigger players. Some bad traits resurfaced. Just like last year at times when this happens, he runs and hides. If we are going to run an offense through the post he has to be aware when this happens kick it out quick. quit pounding rocks in the paint. Guards must make themselves available moving to the open area in his vision. Probably not practiced enough or doesn't seem to be. Not playing Lander was the one thing Woody didn't try and that was and easy target for people that just like to point fingers and make the air toxic. As a coach I would have tried everything at my disposal in that last seven minutes. Maybe Lander is not performing? Maybe Woody sees a very high ceiling and is saying we cant win with mistakes? Was Lander the issue no. It was TJD. He has done this for two years now. Off night or a tough night he wants to disappear sometimes. Everyone remember the blowup in the huddle last year. He was being challenged and didn't like it.  

• Like 3

One of KL top 2 college teams to play for were, Michigan and Louisville and he ended up at Indiana, if he continues not to get any playing time, and being in CMW dog house, he will be transferring to either one of them two teams, and I'm sure that they will be happy to get him, and I'm sure he wil play, and play a lot so we might want to think about it, CMW, is not Bob Knight, not even close and do we want to see a 5 star PG, a Indiana boy leave and go somewhere else and come back and kick our butt, I'm just saying it's something to think about,it can't all be on the kid some of it has to be on the coach, the coach,who set there and watch the team self destruct and watch XJ take nothing but terrible shot after terrible shot, and not call a time out to make any kind of adjustment, to be truthful, CMW stood over there looking like a deer in headlights, but it's enough blame to go around, for everyone who got a chance to play, I just hope that we can put this behind us and regroup and start to play better, we need all hands on deck,I just feel that some of the younger guys on the bench, couldn't play any worse than most of the guys who played the second half, think about some of the younger guys we have over on the bench not playing,who chose to come to Bloomington, it's a lot of talent over there, and the only way that they get better is playing, that's just my opinion. Go big red.

Edited by DPen

9 minutes ago, DPen said:

One of KL top college teams to play for were, Michigan and Louisville and he ended up at Indiana, if he continues not to get any playing time, and being in CMW dog house, he will be transferring to either one of them two teams, and I'm sure that they will be happy to get him, and I'm sure he wil play, and play a lot so we might want to thank about it CMW, is not Bob Knight, not even close and do we want to see a 5 star PG, a Indiana boy leave and go somewhere else and come back and kick our butt, I'm just saying it's something to think about,it can't all be on the kid some of it has to be on the coach coach,who set there and watch the team self destruct and watch XJ take nothing but terrible shot after terrible shot, and not call a time out to make any kind of adjustment, to be truthful, CMW stood over there looking like a deer in headlights, but it's enough blame to go around, for everyone who got a chance to pl, I just hope that we can put this behind us and regroup and start to play better, we need all hands on deck,I just feel that some of the younger guys on the bench, couldn't play any worse than most of the guys who played the second half, think about some of the younger guys we have over on the bench not playing,who chose to come to Bloomington, it's a lot of talent over there, and the only way that they get better is playing, that's just my opinion

Im not going to lie. i didnt read all of your post.

Simply put CMW doesn't not think Lander gives us the best chance to win today. If Lander wants to move on and find playing time somewhere else, so be it. But i doubt he plays big minutes like you claim at Michigan or Louisville. Michigan has a guard that averages 34.6 minutes, and another that averages 26 minutes.

You cant play someone just purely based on the fact that they are young and could be/probably will be talented. you'd never play Jr's or Sr's and they'd transfer anyway.

We play games to win them today, not tomorrow, unless its rebuilding time. If IU goes on a losing streak and we are out of any kind of post season contention, then you can play for next year by giving younger players time. Until then, you play to win now and CMW doesnt think Lander gives us a better chance to win today.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Im not going to lie. i didnt read all of your post.

Simply put CMW doesn't not think Lander gives us the best chance to win today. If Lander wants to move on and find playing time somewhere else, so be it. But i doubt he plays big minutes like you claim at Michigan or Louisville. Michigan has a guard that averages 34.6 minutes, and another that averages 26 minutes.

You cant play someone just purely based on the fact that they are young and could be/probably will be talented. you'd never play Jr's or Sr's and they'd transfer anyway.

We play games to win them today, not tomorrow, unless its rebuilding time. If IU goes on a losing streak and we are out of any kind of post season contention, then you can play for next year by giving younger players time. Until then, you play to win now and CMW doesnt think Lander gives us a better chance to win today.

Ye I think he would pl and play a lot, if you have as many young players as IU has ,you have to have a coach to develop young talent, that's what the good coaches do, and if you think that, we're going to win, the big ten CMW first year in the big ten, that's just not going to happen, I think this year is a rebuild year and I think it's a must that we develop are young talent, and I love IU basketball, but I'm a realist, you know, I heard a old man say one time, wish in one hand and shit in the other a see which one fills up first. Go big red.

2 minutes ago, DPen said:

Yes I think he would play and play a lot, if you have as many young players as IU has ,you have to have a coach to develop young talent, that's what the good coaches do, and if you think that, we're going to win, the big ten CMW first year in the big ten, that's just not going to happen, I think this year is a rebuild year and I think it's a must that we develop are young talent, and I love IU basketball, but I'm a realist, you know, I heard a old man say one time, wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first. Go big red.

It's going to be a long season.

Edited by DPen

2 minutes ago, DPen said:

Ye I think he would pl and play a lot, if you have as many young players as IU has ,you have to have a coach to develop young talent, that's what the good coaches do, and if you think that, we're going to win, the big ten CMW first year in the big ten, that's just not going to happen, I think this year is a rebuild year and I think it's a must that we develop are young talent, and I love IU basketball, but I'm a realist, you know, I heard a old man say one time, wish in one hand and shit in the other a see which one fills up first. Go big red.

I dont know if you misunderstood what i wrote because i didnt mention anything about winning the bigten. I nor anyone else thinks we are going to win the B1G this year. The obtainable goal would be to make the tournament and see what happens from there.

assuming the bolded statement above means that you dont believe CMW is a good coach?

Tell me who Lander would play over for Michigan? Eli Brooks or DeVante Jones? 

If you think this year is a rebuilding year, just wait until next year 😲

• Like 2