Kristian Lander

9 minutes ago, DPen said:

Ye I think he would pl and play a lot, if you have as many young players as IU has ,you have to have a coach to develop young talent, that's what the good coaches do, and if you think that, we're going to win, the big ten CMW first year in the big ten, that's just not going to happen, I think this year is a rebuild year and I think it's a must that we develop are young talent, and I love IU basketball, but I'm a realist, you know, I heard a old man say one time, wish in one hand and shit in the other a see which one fills up first. Go big red.

Does IU have that many young players? I don't think so. Our rotation is basically TJD, XJ, Kopp, Race, Stewart, Phinisee, Bates, Geronimo and Durr. 7 of those 9 are veteran players that all have at least 3 years of college experience, some more. 

This isn't a young team. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Does IU have that many young players? I don't think so. Our rotation is basically TJD, XJ, Kopp, Race, Stewart, Phinisee, Bates, Geronimo and Durr. 7 of those 9 are veteran players that all have at least 3 years of college experience, some more. 

This isn't a young team. 

And the main reason for me that it’s so disappointing we didn’t take care of business when we had the chances at Syracuse and at Wiscy. Veteran teams should finish those games off, bottom line. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

And the main reason for me that it’s so disappointing we didn’t take care of business when we had the chances at Syracuse and at Wiscy. Veteran teams should finish those games off, bottom line. 

True, and I understand your point. The flip side is that none of those players have ever played for this staff before, and only TJD, Race, Phinisee and Geronimo have ever played together before. 

It's still a young team in terms of experience together. There is still a whole lot of "new" involved even though the players are veteran. 

Not making an excuse or saying we shouldn't have won those games, just adding additional context. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

True, and I understand your point. The flip side is that none of those players have ever played for this staff before, and only TJD, Race, Phinisee and Geronimo have ever played together before. 

It's still a young team in terms of experience together. There is still a whole lot of "new" involved even though the players are veteran. 

Not making an excuse or saying we shouldn't have won those games, just adding additional context. 

I think what you’re saying applies more to the Syracuse game (slow start, first road game, etc), but I don’t think that works for the Wiscy game where we had  veterans with multiple opportunities to make individual basketball plays to close the game out. And none of them had the mental toughness or drive to execute. TJD missing a couple bunnies and XJ missing so many FTs (not to mention the  TON of poor shots he had late) are just two of the examples. Parker Stewart missing a wide open three late when he had been money all game is another example. Just don’t have that toughness, refuse to lose mentality on this team. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I dont know if you misunderstood what i wrote because i didnt mention anything about winning the bigten. I nor anyone else thinks we are going to win the B1G this year. The obtainable goal would be to make the tournament and see what happens from there.

assuming the bolded statement above means that you dont believe CMW is a good coach?

Tell me who Lander would play over for Michigan? Eli Brooks or DeVante Jones? 

If you think this year is a rebuilding year, just wait until next year 😲

We have 5 sr 3 Jr 5 sho and 3 Fr. For us to make the tournament, we're going to have to be able to play more, than 6 or 7 players, if them younger players are not getting any playing time, and experience, being developed, then what in the heck are they doing, what are they practice players, and this is CMW first year, his first head coach job, on the college level, like I said before, he played for Bob Knight, that doesn't make him Bob Knight, and I love IU basketball just like the rest of us, but we are going to have to rebuild before we do anything, there's not going to be a quick fix , it's going to take some rebuilding and a lot of hard work, and I don't think the transfer portal is not the way, we are not Kentucky, a bunch of one and dones, and they have some of the top freshman in the country and still lose, and the jury is still out on CMW, we will see, but he's still learning to, once again, that's just my opinion and how I fill, let's see how many banners he hangs up, because when it's all said and done, everything falls on the head coach, if we have a real bad year, his first year, we won't be talking about KL, I'm pretty sure of that.

If KL goes he goes. I think there is something in him that Woody also saw that he wants to stay and grow. Anything he gives us this year is just a bonus. Next year the reins likely would be handed over to him and he would play a lot of minutes. He should have a back court with two highly ranked combo guards that should really help take any pressure he has on him away. Lander, JHS, Bates.....that ain't bad at all....and we will see who wins out to finish out the rest of the lineup...but Geronimo, Duncomb, Leal, and Galloway should all contribute a lot!

1 hour ago, DPen said:

We have 5 sr 3 Jr 5 sho and 3 Fr. For us to make the tournament, we're going to have to be able to play more, than 6 or 7 players, if them younger players are not getting any playing time, and experience, being developed, then what in the heck are they doing, what are they practice players, and this is CMW first year, his first head coach job, on the college level, like I said before, he played for Bob Knight, that doesn't make him Bob Knight, and I love IU basketball just like the rest of us, but we are going to have to rebuild before we do anything, there's not going to be a quick fix , it's going to take some rebuilding and a lot of hard work, and I don't think the transfer portal is not the way, we are not Kentucky, a bunch of one and dones, and they have some of the top freshman in the country and still lose, and the jury is still out on CMW, we will see, but he's still learning to, once again, that's just my opinion and how I fill, let's see how many banners he hangs up, because when it's all said and done, everything falls on the head coach, if we have a real bad year, his first year, we won't be talking about KL, I'm pretty sure of that.

Uhhhh we play 9 guys consistently. TJD, X, Race, P Stew, Kopp, Bates, Geronimo, Durr, RP.  CMW plays young players..... they ones that he thinks can contribute to a win. Geronimo, Bates, Galloway when he wasnt hurt. 

you are arguing points that i have never made. 

You play to win the game. This team has aspirations to make the tournament, and by all means they more than likely will. This is not a rebuilding year. You play the players that give you the best shot to win, not just because they were once a 5 star recruit and they may transfer.

You didnt answer my questions, because you have insinuated twice now that you think CMW is not a good coach.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No clue on the future direction of this thread. Guess count me in the department that I really like KL. He was stunted his senior year/freshman year at IU by style of play and schedule. Right now he's a true freshman with a new coach.

I know every year we have to pick a guy to pile on but I hope some of the KL stuff goes away real soon. Kid committed to IU. He deserves our support. 

This is where the first instant gratification culture hurts kids lime KL.  They are no longer to develop at a slower pace and are expected to be be big Contributors right away.  The player and his family are not patient and bail if they don't play right away.

• Like 1

kL, even though it looks better he still doesn’t have a good looking shot! To me if it goes in I am shocked! He made his living taking it to the rim in High School. Doesn’t seem so dominating in college. Is it confidence, maybe! 
Rooting for him ,but just don’t see him being the end all product we are looking for. Rob P, we’ll he’s got great D normally,but hasn’t brought much of anything else. 
Was it me are did we start dribbling a lot in the second half at Wisconsin. Stop move the ball by passing it quick to get clean looks. Just my opinion! I am no expert!

20 hours ago, DPen said:

This was all one sentence. I'm absolutely impressed. 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I think what you’re saying applies more to the Syracuse game (slow start, first road game, etc), but I don’t think that works for the Wiscy game where we had  veterans with multiple opportunities to make individual basketball plays to close the game out. And none of them had the mental toughness or drive to execute. TJD missing a couple bunnies and XJ missing so many FTs (not to mention the  TON of poor shots he had late) are just two of the examples. Parker Stewart missing a wide open three late when he had been money all game is another example. Just don’t have that toughness, refuse to lose mentality on this team. 

I don't believe this for a second. You can't expect a team to add 3 starters, put one guy in a completely new role, and add in a another new piece off the bench, plus add in an entirely new coaching staff, one that's never worked together, and just expect things to go well, early on. That's just not reality. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I don't believe this for a second. You can't expect a team to add 3 starters, put one guy in a completely new role, and add in a another new piece off the bench, plus add in an entirely new coaching staff, one that's never worked together, and just expect things to go well, early on. That's just not reality. 

I disagree man. Missing 5 FTs … XJ and TJD, along with TJD missing a point blank put back and other bunnies late in the game has ZERO to do with a new environment. I’ll give you the Syracuse game, but we had upperclassmen that had multiple opportunities from an individual aspect to ice the Wiscy game, and they didn’t get it done. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The definitive answer on KL's playing time from the man himself...

Anyone else feel coach is done talking about KL's role? I think within the next 2-4 questions, he pulls out some inner CBK type replies. And I will love it! 

Edited by Joe_Hoopsier
oops. KL doesn't have a roll.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, if Parker plays, it will be at IU.  Just a matter of whether or not he's decided to move on to the next stage of his life or not.  

I sure hope he decides to stay. With all the turmoil in his life, the hard work he's put in, it would be a shame to give it all up after only 1 year IMO.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Agreed.  I fully expect XJ to be back.  And, if Parker plays, it will be at IU.  Just a matter of whether or not he's decided to move on to the next stage of his life or not.  

I don't see why either would leave early to be honest, unless they just are not having a good time, want to play in Poland, or get a real job? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think if Lander is patient and really works hard this off season I can see him starting at pg next year.  I see a 3 guard lineup of Lander, Bates and JHS

JHS is listed as a combo guard, by the recruiting services, but apparently is playing primarily PG this year. If he comes in as a PG, and X returns, minutes could be a challenge for KL again next year. Who knows what will happen as there are a lot of variables (including KL possibly working his way into the rotation).