Kristian Lander

54 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

JHS is listed as a combo guard, by the recruiting services, but apparently is playing primarily PG this year. If he comes in as a PG, and X returns, minutes could be a challenge for KL again next year. Who knows what will happen as there are a lot of variables (including KL possibly working his way into the rotation).

I am not expecting Johnson to he back next year.

• Confused 1

There are a lot of directions this roster could go next year, but imagine how much better we’d be if TJD stayed another year (not going to happen). This would be the next ideal, but would leave us short in the middle without a big jump from JG or LD.

Johnson, Lander

Hood-Schifino, Stewart, Leal, Gunn

Kopp, Bates, Galloway, Banks

Thompson, Gerronimo

Duncomb

My guess is that RP has had enough and TJD is gone for sure. I left off Durr, but can see any of XJ, PS, MK, or RT saying I’m done with school. Hope those 4 stay though bc the roster would be really tough. But missing a presence in the middle , although I think we’d be good with RT, JG, and LD. 

• Like 1

1. I wonder if Parker Stewart wants to get into coaching?  His dad was a coach and this would be one heck of a staff to stick around.  So why not finish up your masters degree and give it one more year?

2. Would Stewart take a scholarship next year being a true 5th year senior even though he transferred over to us midway through the year last year.  

3. X ,Durr, Race, Trayce, Rob can all come back.  My understanding is Race and Rob would not cost against scholarship count.  Same as Brunk would not have but since he transferred out of his original team he is costing OSU one.

4. Lander.  He should stay.  Still has 3.5 years of eligibility.  Sure its disappointing you have all these people telling you you could be one and done but reality is he doesn't have the athleticism to sniff the nba.  He should be a solid rotation guy next year though I would hope.  

• Like 1

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

1. I wonder if Parker Stewart wants to get into coaching?  His dad was a coach and this would be one heck of a staff to stick around.  So why not finish up your masters degree and give it one more year?

2. Would Stewart take a scholarship next year being a true 5th year senior even though he transferred over to us midway through the year last year.  

3. X ,Durr, Race, Trayce, Rob can all come back.  My understanding is Race and Rob would not cost against scholarship count.  Same as Brunk would not have but since he transferred out of his original team he is costing OSU one.

4. Lander.  He should stay.  Still has 3.5 years of eligibility.  Sure its disappointing you have all these people telling you you could be one and done but reality is he doesn't have the athleticism to sniff the nba.  He should be a solid rotation guy next year though I would hope.  

I think that was just a one year rule where players didn't count towards the 13

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think that was just a one year rule where players didn't count towards the 13

Pretty sure anyone on a roster last year gets an extra year, not just last years seniors.  Maybe Im misunderstanding you.  

Race and Rob can definitely come back, whether they cost a scholarship, im not positive but pretty sure they won't.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Not counting against the scholarship was for this year only and only for players who were seniors last year who stayed at the school they started the season with.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Pretty sure anyone on a roster last year gets an extra year, not just last years seniors.  Maybe Im misunderstanding you.  

Rave and Rob can definitely come back, whether they cost a scholarship, im not positive but pretty sure they won't.  

Everyone does get an extra year but those count against the scholarship cap.

Every IU scholarship player has at least 1 season of eligibility left after this one. They would also all count towards the 13.

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Race and Rob can definitely come back, whether they cost a scholarship, im not positive but pretty sure they won't.  

They can get an extra year but they would count towards the 13 scholarships

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

So with 3 commitments we will need 3 to leave

Its going to be interesting.  With NIL and our staff, each one could be convinced to stay and it actually be in their best interest.  

The other interesting thing that all programs across the country could and will be able to recruit the entire senior class.  There could be a bunch of teams looking like this years Arizona and Minnesota.  

I figured it out and correct me if Im wrong.  My player match for Lander is Cassius Winston.  Not overly athletic but they have a craftiness with the ball and a playmaking knack.  

If Lander's next 3 years can be anywhere close to Winston's growth from freshman year on, we will all be pleased.  I remember whiny crybaby face Izzo riding Winston hard for years.  If Lander sticks it out and works hard he can grow and perform on a similar track.  We'll call next year and equal to Winston's freshman year where he got 20 mins a game.  

Lander 6'2" 185

Winston 6'1" 185

Screenshot_20211221-222036.png

Edited by NotIThatLives

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I figured it out and correct me if Im wrong.  My player match for Lander is Cassius Winston.  Not overly athletic but they have a craftiness with the ball and a playmaking knack.  

After seeing Winston as a freshman….sure thought he was a bust.  
KL moving forward should be interesting.  If he wanted to leave wouldn’t he do it before 2nd semester?  
hopefully he gets good advice and stays….compete for minutes and get a degree from a world class university 

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I am not expecting Johnson to he back next year.

Do you have any info?

I am not disputing you but rather I just don’t know which of the “elders” are planning on returning among Race, Rob, Stewart, Kopp and X.  
Who knows? For some of them their decision might hinge on how good or bad the rest of the season goes.

11 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Here's a faq from the ncaa.  As of now you are correct.  I wonder if they will look into changing it? 

Screenshot_20211221-220135.png

They may if the season goes off the rails again. 

I wonder what percentage of seniors remained at their school. Both of IU's seniors jumped ship and it seemed like many from other schools did as well.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Do you have any info?

I am not disputing you but rather I just don’t know which of the “elders” are planning on returning among Race, Rob, Stewart, Kopp and X.  
Who knows? For some of them their decision might hinge on how good or bad the rest of the season goes.

Nope, just my gut feeling

Bringing this from the XJ thread. Read into this what you will, if anything:

“I've always thought a good or great point guard has got to be able to run offense,” Woodson said. “He's got to know who needs the ball. If Trayce (Jackson-Davis) has got it going, the point guard has got to find ways to get him the ball. “If a guy hasn't had a shot in a while, the point guard needs to know, 'Hey, I've got to get this guy a shot.' That's what great point guards do.

“And then he has to defend. I don't let him off the hook there, either.”

Woodson has two players whom he believes fit that mold: Xavier Johnson and Rob Phinisee. The coach admitted Saturday after the Hoosiers beat Notre Dame the position remains a “work in progress,” but he has been encouraged by the pair's development.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Kristian Lander thread.....equivilant to the back up qb thread on any NFL page. Basically, it is a meaningless arguement on if he is the heir to the throne and if they do see time...your season is in big trouble lol.

So he could be Don Strock or Tom Brady? ;) 

• Haha 1

I think the 2021-22 Khristian Lander experiment is over. I'm sure he can keep improving and will have a few moments along the way the rest of the year where we will need his contribution but this kid is NOT ready for the big lights yet. He couldn't even guard the backups from N Kentucky. Immediately comes in and gives up a 3 pt play and can't keep a very unathletic guard in front of him. Given the minutes he is getting in a massive blowout he is not going to be called upon to be a major contributor. He needs to be ready in case of injury or foul trouble but he is not going to play ahead of Rob. I think it is safe to tuck this debate to bed.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think the 2021-22 Khristian Lander experiment is over. I'm sure he can keep improving and will have a few moments along the way the rest of the year where we will need his contribution but this kid is NOT ready for the big lights yet. He couldn't even guard the backups from N Kentucky. Immediately comes in and gives up a 3 pt play and can't keep a very unathletic guard in front of him. Given the minutes he is getting in a massive blowout he is not going to be called upon to be a major contributor. He needs to be ready in case of injury or foul trouble but he is not going to play ahead of Rob.

Was there even an experiment though? Coach Woody was pretty clear...He's not shown in practice that he's at XJ or Rob's level, but if called upon for whatever reason (like Syracuse) he has to be ready and produce. That's the way it happens in the pros, and with the portal (like free agency) if a kid isn't happy with his playing time, he goes elsewhere...

I've been in that situation is sports where I sat while others played...I magnified their mistakes as justification as to why I should be in there in their place...But when I was honest about it I knew that they were simply better players than I was,,,

I think the advantage we have is that Coach Woody can show KL what he needs to do to get to the next level, but that's balanced against the needs of this team. I only hope that KL can see and follow the best path for him...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Was there even an experiment though? Coach Woody was pretty clear...He's not shown in practice that he's at XJ or Rob's level, but if called upon for whatever reason (like Syracuse) he has to be ready and produce. That's the way it happens in the pros, and with the portal (like free agency) if a kid isn't happy with his playing time, he goes elsewhere...

I've been in that situation is sports where I sat while others played...I magnified their mistakes as justification as to why I should be in there in their place...But when I was honest about it I knew that they were simply better players than I was,,,

I think the advantage we have is that Coach Woody can show KL what he needs to do to get to the next level, but that's balanced against the needs of this team. I only hope that KL can see and follow the best path for him...

I agree. I guess I just meant that those flashes of brilliance or even good play...are the abnormalities....and more often than not he reverts back to default Khristian....which is lazy with his feet on defense...undisciplined on offense and well really unplayable unless in a pinch. Agree think he can keep working and NEEDS Woody and Fife to round him into form. Work hard and stay ready....he will have to play some important minutes in the B1G this year. With how XJ plays fast and loose he will land in foul trouble or with Robs injury history there will be time for him...hope he makes it count. But as of right now...he just doesn't look like a B1G caliber pg out there right now and it shows why he doesn't see the floor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree. I guess I just meant that those flashes of brilliance or even good play...are the abnormalities....and more often than not he reverts back to default Khristian....which is lazy with his feet on defense...undisciplined on offense and well really unplayable unless in a pinch. Agree think he can keep working and NEEDS Woody and Fife to round him into form. Work hard and stay ready....he will have to play some important minutes in the B1G this year. With how XJ plays fast and loose he will land in foul trouble or with Robs injury history there will be time for him...hope he makes it count. But as of right now...he just doesn't look like a B1G caliber pg out there right now and it shows why he doesn't see the floor.

I think we believe the same thing...People calling for him to "get time" just to give him game experience (and to be honest I have done that in the past) aren't going to see that...It's going to either be earned in practice or based on team need on a per game basis...

• Like 2

One other thing on this...Khristian has to see that Coach Woody is true to his word...He has a living, breathing example of it right in front of him...

Before the season started, I, like a lot of people on here, thought Anthony Leal was a one trick pony who might see some floor time based solely on the perception that he's a shooter...Anthony put in the time and effort on his deficiencies, and now he's getting a lot of floor time and even started a game (although I don't think any of us think that will continue) and he's earned those minutes by playing solid D, making good post entry passes, and making heady plays that help you win ballgames and NOT on the perceived strength of his shooting...He's actually not shot very well the past couple of games but yet Coach Woody said "Anthony started, and I thought he played well. I thought he played well as a starter...he did well for us tonight"  And I feel confident he earned even MORE minutes with his play...

I hope Khristian takes note of that...And as a PG, he really has even MORE of an opportunity to affect the game in ways beyond simply scoring...

• Like 3

On 12/21/2021 at 10:08 PM, NotIThatLives said:

Its going to be interesting.  With NIL and our staff, each one could be convinced to stay and it actually be in their best interest.  

RE: NIL $$.

It’s really none of our business, and we may never know the answer, but I would be interested to know if the players are making NIL cash that could possibly sway them to stay.  I have no idea if our guys are barely making pizza money or if they are hauling in meaningful (10’s of thousands) cash. 

RE Lander:

Many different opinions in regards to his playing time etc but I don’t think there is any doubt that he is the all-time IU leader in the “forum posts per minutes played” category.

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5